gaberdeen

Having a hard time.

Don Steese

My daughter was distraught today because Kennedy hadn't returned her calls or texts. Finally Kens calls and says, "sorry mom, I met a few friends already and we've  been having so much fun I forgot to call!" Exactly what we all needed to hear!!  Her sister Reagan is still missing her terribly though. 

erik meade
On 8/16/2019 at 2:23 PM, gaberdeen said:

My wife and I dropped our 18 yr old daughter off to college on Wednesday. She has been calling every evening homesick. I know it’s going to take a few weeks to get adjusted and this is pretty normal but as a parent it makes me want to do something to ease her discomfort. She probably gets it from me as I was always a big homebody when I was young. Still am today, I am not a good “alone person”. I need someone around or I get lonely pretty easily. Guess there goes my plans for living as a hermit in the Maine woods when I retire. I guess what I’m saying is I don’t know who is having a harder time, me or her.

How is it going?

Tim Frazier

I probably went overboard in three areas raising my 3 girls.  One was being independent and making your own luck, second was the importance of "each other" and that when all else fails you in the world being a "sister" will always be there for you, and third and most importantly, your faith travels with you and lack of a physical structure is no reason to forget you are not alone.

So last year my youngest probably had a little tougher time at college than we really knew.  Her sisters would have told us if it was too bad...maybe, but even though her grades were great I was a little worried.  For the second summer in a row she worked in the Adirondacks, where my oldest is an accountant, and had a great summer.  Now  she is back in college and I can't get her to even visit! (she promises she will see us this weekend though)  She has been involved with CRU ministries, coaching dance a couple nights a week, and making crochet pumpkins in her spare time...and hopefully classes!   So it appears she might actually be too busy to run home much but I am thrilled for her.

I am a strong proponent that you raise a teenager starting at age 2 and I'm beginning to believe the same about 20 somethings.  Give it your all and let them take it from there.

steveziv

I saw freshman year as a great adventure and enjoyed it immensely.  So when the time came I wanted that for my kids.

(Though here in MD you can save a bunch of money taking your requirements at the local CC before transferring)

I've dropped off two at college.  They were excited and there were no anxiety problems that I know of.  Of course college was a half hour away so it was easy to stay in touch and visit there or home.  I missed my youngest daughter a lot those first few weeks since we were extra tight and spent a lot of time together.

gaberdeen
1 hour ago, erik meade said:

How is it going?

Fears unfounded I’m happy to say. She has adjusted well and loves being at school. She has only come once to visit. Now she says “ see you at Thanksgiving”. Thank you for asking Erik.

WPG Gizmo

Glad to hear that we raise kids that are more resilient then we think all they need is chance to shine 👍

oldbird

I dropped my oldest boy off years ago. He had a bad case of senioritis but when I dropped him off for his freshman year he looked like a deer in headlights. I laughed so hard. His mom got a little pissed at me but I knew he would be fine. The hard part was getting him to leave. Five years later he was having a little too much fun. He’s got a great job now and is doing fine. Sometimes ya just gotta shove em out of the nest and let em fly on their own. 

Peent

I “dropped my kid off” at Fort Benning several years ago.  I forgot where I was going with this. 

WPG Gizmo

The 26 year old kid left this morning for a few days with his long term GF he has been living at home now since he graduated from college year's ago.  Would it be wrong if I changed the locks while they are gone.

Lurch

after the first few days of tears, my wife has flipped a switch and we've been having the time of our lives the first 5 weeks as empty nesters.

The youngest came home last weekend and after about 2 hours she whispered "when is he leaving again?"...