Brad Eden

Where do you shop for groceries?

Brad Eden

I've recently gotten in the habit of grocery shopping at....Wal Mart. That's part of my household responsibilities. More out of convenience than anything else because I typically drive to the "big" city of Bangor ME about once a week to run errands, do some banking, and either check trail cams or bow hunt in an expanded/management zone close by there (starting in September) There is a big Wally World there. I don't particularly like the warehouse thing or feel, and it can be crowded, and a lot of stuff is in bulk, but I certainly save some coin. And their fruit and vegetable dept isn't too bad. We rarely buy store bought meat so that's not a factor really. I was there today and spinned to the auto dept and bought an air cleaner for JoAnns Rogue.

When I do go to a more local supermarket, which is typically a Hannafords I seem to spend a lot more money for the same basic food. I am shocked when the total is rung up for two to three recyclable bags filled with groceries. These are all big chains so the big box store squeezing out the little guy really doesn't apply.

We are also Members of a Co Op in Belfast ME, and go there on occasion for more specialty stuff not found in the regular grocery stores. If we bought everything there we would go broke. 

Where do you shop shop for groceries?

gaberdeen

We only have a Shoprite supermarket in our immediate town. Prices I find are very expensive. When I can I go to the super Wal-mart about 15 miles away. Lots cheaper. although selection is less at times.

browndrake

when we go to town, there are two grocery stores, Wal-Mart and Lynns.  We shop for most things at wallys because of price and shop lynns sales.  produce is usually better quality at lynns so we often get it there too.

airmedic1

I buy most of our groceries at a SuperSaver.  It is a employee owned local chain that is by far the cheapest here in Lincoln in my opinion.  My wife likes the Russ's store which is the same chain, just a different name but not nearly as low as prices.  She goes there because it is right down the street.  I rarely buy anything at Walmart but when we are at our cabin that is one of three choices.  The Walmart has already ran one of the small town grocery stores out of business and has forced the Safeway to become more competitive  There is a little mom and pop store in the town closest to our cabin that we try to support as much as we can.  They don't have anything in there that I can't buy cheaper somewhere else but if everyone always buys elsewhere, one of these days that little store will close and then we will drive 30 miles for a loaf of bread.

Big Pine

We mostly shop at Costco because it’s close to home, the prices are good, and between gas, booze, and food the membership saves us money. I’ve really come to like buying staples in bulk, and have gotten good at storing, utilizing, and preserving the produce we get there. Don’t buy much meat at all, but when we have we’ve been impressed with the Kirkland brand.

For the random things, we end up running to either Trader Joe’s, a local chain called Martin’s, or a local co-op—just depends what exactly we need. 

Kansas Bound

Sprouts seems to be my go to lately.

WPG Gizmo

The vast majority is at Shaws if there is something I need in particular that Shaws does not carry Market Basket or Hannafords they are all within a mile of each other.

I have a buddy that is the head butcher at Hannafords so I get great deals there on meat 

dogrunner

Kroger's,  Meijers sometimes Walmart but not that often and only for certain things. 

bigdog MN

Walmart built a store 1 mile away from me, prior to that I occasionally shopped at Walmart. Not sure about other areas of the country but around me, Walmart seem to attract a less desirable clientle, to the point the local police told our neighborhood watch to keep a closer eye on things around home.

To answer the question, I am lucky to have a number of different grocery options, my favorite is Coborns/Cashwise. They are fairly large but locally owned. A few employees recognize me when I am shopping and say hi or acknowledge me in some way, which makes for a nice experience. The closest store is a "test market" for new ideas, they installed a large smoker and smoke everything under the sun. Spent more than a little time visiting with the smoke boss to gain information and tips.

john mcg
14 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

The vast majority is at Shaws if there is something I need in particular that Shaws does not carry Market Basket or Hannafords they are all within a mile of each other.

I have a buddy that is the head butcher at Hannafords so I get great deals there on meat 

We used to call Hannaford "Canntaford".

Don Steese

With all the traveling we do Wally World gets a lot of our business. Doesn't hurt that a lot of them allow overnight RV camping. Here at home we sort of  mix it up. Wal Mart, Aldi, a local discount place called Surplus Outlet, and a small local grocery called Boyers. Out in Arizona there were a number of places we tried including Bashas, and  Albertsons, but most times we ended up in a Wal Mart neighborhood market, which is a Wal Mart grocery store. 

Birdcountry70

When Walmart came 9 years ago one of the two grocery stores closed immediately. The remaining one seems to be doing ok even with their much higher prices. I'm embarrassed to admit that if we need more than a couple of things we go to Walmart. I would rather buy from the little guy but at 30%-60% more I can't do it very much.  Between the huge chain stores and Online shopping retail is changing fast.

Fire Marshal Bill

We grocery shop at the local Stop & Shop. We do go to Wal-Mart for some things that S&S doesn't carry.  But S & S gets most of our grocery money. Plus they have a point system where $100 dollars worth of groceries get you 10 cents off the price of gas at their gas station. We've gotten as much 30 cents off, the price of gas. They allow you to accumulated points up to 50 cents off!!!

caleb

@Brad Eden When I was working in upstate New York, I used to go to Hannaford and Price Copper.  I agree that the Hannaford was overpriced for what they were offering, but since it was most convenient it was usually where I went.

In Minneapolis, we have a good farmers market, a co-op down the hill, a Fresh Thyme near my wife's train station, and a Trader Joe's not too far from my wife's office.  We go to all of them.  There aren't any supermarkets or big box stores right near us.  And, I have to admit to falling for Whole Foods delivery.  It's free with an Amazon Prime membership, and with a tip the premium is probably 20-30% over supermarket prices for the things we buy.  I try not to use it all the time, but sometimes it's nice to order groceries at lunch and have them dropped off for dinner without needing to go by the store on the way home, especially since neither my wife or I usually commute by car.

RayB

HEB, large local chain about the same price as Walmart but you don't have to walk 500 yards from groceries to get tooth paste and deodorant