Brad Eden

Where do you shop for groceries?

TJK68

Kroger or a small local chain called Grant's, Wally World does not get hardly any of my money.

CheckCord

Normal grocery shopping is split pretty evenly between Kroger, Giant Eagle and Costco.  I hit Fresh Market for bakery items but the only one in Columbus is closing down next month.  

I buy nothing at Walmart because... I just don’t like going in to them 

Ben Hong

In  a prior post I mentioned that I go to Walmart for produce, but I have to amend that because from the end of June to the end of November, our local farmers and veggie stands can keep us supplied with fresh picked stuff. There was a time when I said that the local beef lacked the consistency of the imports from other parts of our country. I don't say so anymore. Our local beef is almost all grass fed, and some of the better grade stuff is absolutely delectable!

snapt

We have a small local LDS owned chain that is closed Sundays and price gouges us to get tourist dollars all summer. I drive 45 minutes to the Kroger affiliate rather than support them.

idcut

I find myself shopping at Winco for many items I routinely purchase. The fruit and vegetables are typically priced lower per pound and are quality. Dried fruit, peanuts and similar are sold in bulk and can be much better price than other area stores. However, I'm not averse to shopping at the other local stores for weekly sale items. 

b wilt
On 8/22/2019 at 8:22 PM, CheckCord said:

Normal grocery shopping is split pretty evenly between Kroger, Giant Eagle and Costco.  I hit Fresh Market for bakery items but the only one in Columbus is closing down next month.  

I buy nothing at Walmart because... I just don’t like going in to them 

Ditto on Giant Eagle, I walk past their meat department and I'm drooling uncontrollably. Very nice store.

CheckCord
11 hours ago, b wilt said:

Ditto on Giant Eagle, I walk past their meat department and I'm drooling uncontrollably. Very nice store.

The Giant Eagle Market District in Upper Arlington smells prime beef, even dry age in the store that I’m too cheap to buy!  

Its funny bc i see guys come come in on Friday night and buy huge $50 tomahawk bone in ribeyes, cigars and booze... and you know their wives are out of town that weekend!  

Millriver

Here in western Massachusetts it’s Big Y, Trader Joe’s, and a couple of small locally owned markets. I liked shopping at those two while recovering from knee surgery because I didn’t have to walk a mile, plus they generally have fresh meat and fish.

All my paper goods and cleaning supplies come from Walmart though. I’m a member at BJ’s and shop there infrequently but always buy propane there.

Summer time if I can’t grow it, there’s plenty of options from local farmers. There is no better sweet corn then that grown in the Connecticut River Valley.

I will say a couple years ago while vacationing in Boothbay Harbor, Maine, we went to the weekly farmers market. I would do all my shopping there if that was near me. Fresh meat, fish, produce, I’ve never seen one like it except for downtown Boise, Idaho on a Saturday morning when we were there once.