REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
RookieEP

Whose Elk Hunting this Year?

RookieEP

Never been a big game hunter. But the elk hunt adventure has been calling.  The mountains, cold mornings, burning legs, bulls bugling...   My dad is 70, he has not been back to the mountains since he was in the National Guard during the Vietnam war.  Ive been blessed with amazing parents. I would like to take my dad in the next 2 years on this adventure.

Love to hear what elk hunting is about for you.   Any pictures. Good story adventures. Why you hunt elk and what time of year you prefer 

sharptail grouse

Personally for me its about a lot of meat and a lot of work. An elk can fill the freezer in a huge hurry, but if you do all the packing out and processing yourself you will know what the less glorified part of elk hunting is all about. Its worth it. That said I'd rather spend my time bird hunting. You just need too many to equal an elk in the freezer.

Up North

I’m going to give it a try this year. I have some friends that will help if I’m successful.

sharptail grouse
3 hours ago, Up North said:

I’m going to give it a try this year. I have some friends that will help if I’m successful.

Friends are good to have when you have an elk on the ground - especially if its a warm day. Have fun!

Big Al

Enee, menee, minee, moe!!!

10B623E3-0F92-4A21-BB4C-EB1DC85E563F.jpeg

rudyc

not this year, still building a few points needed for the unit we hunt in.

Have to try and redeem myself for the mmmmissss on a great bull.

phpsEtJAoPM.jpg

P1070129.JPG

sharptail grouse

How did that aspen taste?

joec

I went last year for the first time and despite not getting one got totally hooked by the mountains. Hopefully heading back next year.

rudyc

It was "shoot and release" because it was a bit too large for grilling.

dogrunner

Nephew is on the hunt for one right now. He saw an older bull yesterday guide told him to pass on it. 

sharptail grouse
4 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Nephew is on the hunt for one right now. He saw an older bull yesterday guide told him to pass on it. 

Hope he doesn't live to regret that decision :)

JWP58

I will. No archery this year, but I'll be putting in a few weeks (if I have to) this year. Ive got a general and cow/calf tag to fill. Plus two antelope and a deer tag. With aging dogs, twins eating me out of house/home big game will take precedence in 2019.

sidepass

My buddies leave this week for their New Mexico archery hunt .I'm out  because of rotator  cuff surgery and drawing my bow is an issue at this time. Hoping for a bit of tenderloin or backstrap in the next week or two. Did see some Tule Elk yesterday in some almond orchards east of San Luis Reservoir in Ca's central valley  100 yards off the freeway.

NVChukarChaser

After killing a bull in Nevada I’m on my seven year wait for another bull tag but got a late cow tag where I do a lot of chukar hunting so I will take a rifle and pack when I go to those areas.

rideold

It has become the yearly reset for me. A week of archery in September and a week in November of rifle. Mostly by myself but during rifle season I hunt half the time with a friend when he can get away from work. Don't have much success but love it none the less.