REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Virgil Kane

Garmin Alpha stupid question of the day

DAP
On 8/22/2019 at 9:53 AM, Felix said:

I agree with all of the above.  1) Recalibrate before each run.  It takes about 1 minute. 2) Direction accuracy goes away at about 30 yards. If you get within 30 yards, it can't take long to find your dog even in the thickest cover.

I've been within 10 yards and got the "near" indicator in some wood cock covers and still can't find the dog.  

greg jacobs
1 hour ago, grouse28 said:

I don’t believe that the true north/magnetic north setting should be an issue when looking for your dog. It is a relative system and the GPS corrections made should read true to the dog. The only time you will notice a difference is if you are comparing your unit to a separate magnetic compass if your unit is set to true north.

I played with it. Definitely changed the direction to the dog on compass screen. Played with user where you can change deviation and you can really change the needle. Absolutely made my needle point straight to the collar. It's been off 15° for as long as I've had it. Covey rise was dead on on the fix.

Somewhere in the middle of the country there will be no deviation.

dvmweb

Added note:

3 of my hunting buddies converted to the Alpha in the last two years.

Will I get a credit from Garmin?

Now, if I could get them to drink my favorite beer so’s I wouldn’t have to bring any!

dogrunner
7 hours ago, dvmweb said:

Added note:

3 of my hunting buddies converted to the Alpha in the last two years.

Will I get a credit from Garmin?

Now, if I could get them to drink my favorite beer so’s I wouldn’t have to bring any!

Switch to there’s and drink up.