Scar

The Wandering Wingshooter Podcast

Scar

A friend has convinced me to start an upland hunting podcast.  It has been quite the adventure but I've got some episodes up and available for download.  You can find them at The Wandering Wingshooter Podcast as well as on iTunes, Stitcher and GooglePlay.  Please give them a listen and I hope you enjoy the conversations.  

I'm open to positive criticisms and advice about future interviews.  Please keep in mind podcasting is NOT my day job.

Mike da Carpenter

I’ll check these out when I get to work tomorrow.  Always looking for something different to listen to since no matter what station you tune the radio to, they all play the same songs in a loop.

RayB

Great videos, don't you know you're supposed to edit out the misses 🤣

Joel S.

I like your Wagoneer

Scar
On 8/25/2019 at 7:01 PM, Joel S. said:

I like your Wagoneer

Thanks!  '83 model and is for sale if you're looking.

I just put up an episode with Brent Pike of Pyke Gear.  It's pretty interesting.  

So far Episode 1 is my favorite.  New England grouse hunting should be right up the alley of a bunch of folks on here.

I've got interviews with Craig Jones, a cancer survivor and upland hunter, and Gavin West, camp cook extraordinaire, coming up soon.  Plus I have an interview planned with the guru of Oklahoma quail in September.  

Scar

Episode 1 - John McGranaghan (a UJ member) talks about New Hampshire grouse and woodcock hunting.

Episode 2 - Weston Storer talks about the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation efforts to create and improve quail habitat on public lands in NW Oklahoma

Episode 3 - Brent Pike (also a UJ member) talks about Upper Peninsula grouse hunting and how it compares to Oklahoma quail hunting.  He also discusses his new clothing line.

In addition to the interviews with Craig Jones and Gavin West I talked about above I just finished an interview with Edgar Castillo (@hunt_birdz) about Kansas public land hunting that I'm pretty excited about.  

Dave Quindt

I've listened to parts of the first 2 episodes; look forward to hearing more.

Here are two things I'd offer, and I would have offered them before I listened to a minute of yours:

1. Let the guest speak!  Don't let them ramble but keep things on track with short questions and plenty of time to respond.  I routinely will start a podcast by skipping forward :30 at a time until I hear the guest's voice and then back up a bit; today I had to skip forward 19 minutes in one before I caught the guest speaking!  Now, he clearly started before that but it's an indicator of a host who likes to hear himself speak (I'm looking at you Marty Fischer).

2. Want to make yourself unique in the hunting podcast space?  Find the people who are NOT on social media and interview them.  Social media is turning podcasting into an echo chamber.  There are small businesses (think dog trainers) who are paying staff just to focus on posting content.  And guess what?  They are all over podcasts.  The problem is these folks are not nearly as experienced as other trainers literally down the road from them, bit those folks spend their time training not posting. 

JMO,

Dave

Scar

Great advice Dave!  I've worked to try to keep my mouth shut.  I'm a talker and it's hard for me.  Hopefully I'll continue to improve as an interviewer.

I love interviewing some of the IG personalities I follow.  Especially when they live in places I think of as exotic.  It lets me put a voice and personality to their posts.  Obviously most podcasts are just hour long advertising anyway but it's the meat in between that makes them fun.

I appreciate your input.

Scar

Episode 4 is live. This guy is great. Ex-Marine turned camp cookie. I can attest to his skills. Plus, he's a funny guy who made for a great interview. Give him a listen!

Episode 4

dogrunner

Episode 3 was ok. Haven’t listened to any others. 

Scar

With the Oklahoma quail opener Saturday I'd encourage anyone who is interested to go listen to Episode 2 with Weston Storer, Episode 9 with Dwayne Elmore and Episode 13 with Alan Peoples.  Those guys know a ton about quail and quail hunting and there are some real gems in the conversations.  

IMG-0433-1.jpg