Sign in to follow this  
gunsrus

Mechanics for 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

gunsrus

My daughter's car from a dead stop , something bangs . My mechanic and I thought a U joint but it seems to come from the transfer case . He suggests the chain has stretched . It is a project he suggests going back to dealer because it is all a sealed unit . He won't touch it . The car is an immaculate "Overland" with 90,000 miles . She has another car but uses this for travel to and from Maine in winter . 

I have no idea what something like this costs , $1000 , $2000 , $3000 . A thousand or so and I would tell her to keep it , more and sell . I don't trust the local Jeep dealer and he's the only one to do the job . Any ideas out there what I'm looking at . I don't even trust his estimates . 

Kansas Bound

Around $1500 on a Silverado that I had

GLS

Hope this works out.  A friend was southeastern troubleshooter for GM products in the 1970s.  He was called in to solve issues local dealership shops couldn't fix.  An older woman had a car that went "clunk" on  turns.  They isolated the problem  to the rear of the car and while someone drove the car, he was in the trunk and isolated the sound precisely.  Panels were removed and a wrench was suspended in the location with a note which stated:  "you found it."  Gil

blanked
On 8/26/2019 at 12:35 PM, GLS said:

Hope this works out.  A friend was southeastern troubleshooter for GM products in the 1970s.  He was called in to solve issues local dealership shops couldn't fix.  An older woman had a car that went "clunk" on  turns.  They isolated the problem  to the rear of the car and while someone drove the car, he was in the trunk and isolated the sound precisely.  Panels were removed and a wrench was suspended in the location with a note which stated:  "you found it."  Gil

Interesting.  Anyone remember the popular linebacker Brian Bosworth from Oklahoma?   He wrote a book about himself playing football for OU in the 80s .  Wrote the book his first year or two playing for the Seahawks.   He was paid an unusual amount of money to do a do nothing job for GM during college.  He said he would put that note to rattle deep inside GM cars

RDG

I’m surprised your mechanic won’t do this.  I changed the chain inside my transfer case on my 98 Cherokee And it wasn’t too bad. 

Didn't even have to remove the TC from the Jeep.  

gunsrus
13 minutes ago, RDG said:

I’m surprised your mechanic won’t do this.  I changed the chain inside my transfer case on my 98 Cherokee And it wasn’t too bad. 

Didn't even have to remove the TC from the Jeep.  

He's ready for retirement .

greg jacobs
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Sounds like he already retired and took on a part time job. Lol.

RDG
4 hours ago, gunsrus said:

I’d find another trustworthy mechanic and avoid the dealership last all costs

but I hate the dealership with a passion. 

I actually have a full PDF copy of the Factory Service Manual for the 2011 Grand (my wife drives one)

I can probably email you a copy if you want it.... PM me 

Rockdoc
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, GLS said:

Back in the 1970’s a man bought a new car and about a week later felt a sharp pain in his butt. Upon inspection, the dealer’s mechanic found a coil spring inside the seat that had been filed sharp on the end and set to spring upwards after the seat had been sat on for a while. Along with the sharpened spring was a note saying “I hope this gives you as much as a pain in the a__ as I get doing this job!”

Steve

Chukarman

I don't think that chain-driven transfer cases are worth sh!t. However, this is fixable without replacing the whole TC.

marsingbob

What year and make car?  I do not recognize 
"overland"

mcgreg

Hi gunsrus, what did this issue turn out to actually be? Thx!