Virgil Kane

Favorite musky lure

Virgil Kane

As a followup to the other musky thread I was wondering what's everybody's favorite musky lure ?  I'm not a fan of top water or jerk baits but will use a Suick  Thrillers.  I tend to use black bucktails, Mepps Giant Killer most of the time.  If I have to get deep I tend to use a Doctor spoon ( yeah, that's right) which I've had surprisingly very good luck with.

What's your favorite musky lure? 

Virgil

Kansas Bound

Reef Hawg

Geoff Roznak

Doctor Spoons work great.

My two most effective musky lures will tend to make the folks who think you have to throw big baits with really heavy gear uncomfortable.

1) Texas rigged (over wire) Strike King Smokin' Rooster.

2) #5 Mepps

On the fly side of things...it doesn't matter that much.

...generally speaking, I think placement and presentation count for more than what hunk or wood/plastic/fur/feathers we use.

Dave Erickson

Giant Jackpot

dogrunner

How bout a small duckling. 😀

Curt

I like the Mepps Giant killer as well, the black one with a little red in the bucktail.  I've also had luck with several of the original Creek Chub pikie minnow lures, especially the silver flash pattern.  Grandma lures, Suick's, Cisco Kid 600's, and the Believer's have all been good at times too.  I also love to fish on top and have had luck with Jitterbugs, Crazy crawlers, and Spooks.

I guess I don't have a real favorite, I'll throw what ever works.

C.J.L.

The way I like to fish musky I don't like super heavy rods. I throw baits on bass flipping rods 90% of the time and like 1oz to 2 oz bucktails mostly. Any color works as long as its black and orange. This time of year going into the fall I like big 5" rattle traps and red is the color.  Suicks, I use a med musky rod cause its a big bait and again, black and orange.

One my favorite places to fish is is the Tahquamenon river in the U.P.  Loaded with fish but tough to get a truly big fish.  But numbers????? Oh yeah.  Not hard to catch 4 or 5 musky a day.  Spooks and a big soft jerk bait as a back up for missed strikes is the deal.

Geoff Roznak
4 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

The way I like to fish musky I don't like super heavy rods. I throw baits on bass flipping rods 90% of the time and like 1oz to 2 oz bucktails mostly. Any color works as long as its black and orange. This time of year going into the fall I like big 5" rattle traps and red is the color.

Good call - I am also not a fan of huge lures.  Don't need 'em.

4 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

One my favorite places to fish is is the Tahquamenon river in the U.P.  Loaded with fish but tough to get a truly big fish.  But numbers????? Oh yeah.  Not hard to catch 4 or 5 musky a day.  Spooks and a big soft jerk bait as a back up for missed strikes is the deal.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Hal Standish

My Fav would be the JB1 and JB2 made by John Bales. These lures can be run from 15 to 60fow.

Jim Duplex and his buddie Jeno mad a nice vid using the JB's in Wisconsin. I have caught 10 Musky's 5 big Northern and 4 LM bass on the JB's over the last two years. I have a number of Videos, however Jimmies' have a much higher production value. Thank You Buck Perry!

Hal

Virgil Kane

Got some old spoon plugs but nothing that big and haven't used them in decades.  I'm going to have to try them again.

Virgil 

Hal Standish
On 11/1/2019 at 11:15 AM, Virgil Kane said:

Got some old spoon plugs but nothing that big and haven't used them in decades.  I'm going to have to try them again.

Virgil 

As you are probable aware each spoonplug is designed to run in certain depths of water. Buck offer 7 different sizes, that would run 2ft thru 25 fow. 

They are without equal in the crank bait world. They are the best bottom walking free running crank bait ever made.

Hal

Geoff Roznak
1 hour ago, Hal Standish said:

As you are probable aware each spoonplug is designed to run in certain depths of water. Buck offer 7 different sizes, that would run 2ft thru 25 fow. 

They are without equal in the crank bait world. They are the best bottom walking free running crank bait ever made.

Hal

I thought it'd be worth tossing in a picture of spoonplugs for the folks who haven't seen them.

IMAG002.JPG

...and I happened to find one with all the sizes.

Hal Standish
5 minutes ago, Geoff Roznak said:

I thought it'd be worth tossing in a picture of spoonplugs for the folks who haven't seen them.

IMAG002.JPG

...and I happened to find one with all the sizes.

Excellent Geoff

https://www.bucksspoonplugs.com/

Hal

Geoff Roznak

I have one of those somewhere, an I haven't thrown it in ages.

I'm tending more and more towards flies for esox these days, with stuff like these:

IMG-0028.jpg

EXP-1.jpg

Tornado-Warning-2-R.jpg

Cooter Brown
On 11/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, Geoff Roznak said:

I have one of those somewhere, an I haven't thrown it in ages.

I'm tending more and more towards flies for esox these days, with stuff like these:

IMG-0028.jpg

EXP-1.jpg

Tornado-Warning-2-R.jpg

It makes my elbow hurt just to look at those.

I'm sure you're familiar with the shop in Boulder Junction...