Steve Hunts

Neighborhood cats- rant

Steve Hunts

I hate these creatures. When m y kids were small they would come and crap in their sandbox. That was almost 20 years ago.

This weekend I am finishing up a 25'x11' paver patio in the back after demolishing the 40 year old rotten deck. Spent several hours wheel barrowing sand into the site and screeing it out to 3/4" thickness. Woke up to find that my neighbors cat had tracked across my work and relieved itself so now I get to "clean up" this mess. I can co-exist with cats most of the time but stuff like this makes me think of perpetrating a dark and evil retribution upon the guilty feline. He/she had better stay clear of my place for awhile. No details will be forthcoming...

salmontogue
4 minutes ago, Steve Hunts said:

I hate these creatures. When m y kids were small they would come and crap in their sandbox. That was almost 20 years ago.

This weekend I am finishing up a 25'x11' paver patio in the back after demolishing the 40 year old rotten deck. Spent several hours wheel barrowing sand into the site and screeing it out to 3/4" thickness. Woke up to find that my neighbors cat had tracked across my work and relieved itself so now I get to "clean up" this mess. I can co-exist with cats most of the time but stuff like this makes me think of perpetrating a dark and evil retribution upon the guilty feline. He/she had better stay clear of my place for awhile. No details will be forthcoming...

Meeoooow

Zkight89

"Three S" rule applies to any creature relieving itself on my craftsmanship....

kgb

I'm allergic to them, discovered as a kid while sitting on our vet's sofa surrounded by and petting them as she and my mom chatted one afternoon.  My wife grew up with them and loves them but we own dogs instead.  Local feral mama cat had a litter and I helped the wife trap them (hey, it's an outdoor sporting activity) and haul them in for discounted fixing and ear cropping, we got all 5 kittens and the mama herself which I thought a key item.  One of the calicos took to my wife and has been hanging around ever since, maybe 5 or 6 years now.  We feed her on the back porch, built a shelter for cold weather use, White kills mice and other small critters and avoids all of the dogs.  No damage to the yard or house yet, but she's a small cat.  Two of the others from that litter have caught birds from our feeders, White so far just watches them, but I figure she's at least tried for a cardinal or sparrow at some point.  I shot at a cat years ago when out hunting small game, I don't think I'd shoot at another unless it looked sick.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Steve Hunts said:

He/she had better stay clear of my place for awhile. No details will be forthcoming...

That would be great. I hate Moderating cat hater threads.

Heres a recent cat thread that wasn't a cluster:

Hypoallergenic Cats Topic

DD Huntress

Most prolific non native invasive species!

Fishnfowler

Cats are tough to keep in ones own yard.  They wander more easily than your average dog.  Living in close quarters with others, such as in suburbia, invasion of others property is inevitable as long as they are allowed to roam.  It doesn't matter the size of the animal, from cow to titmouse.  Ones own rights cannot trample on anothers. Having grown up in the country, it isn't unusual for cows to knock down a fence and damage another farmer's property.  The difference seems to lay in the relationship one has with the neighbors.  Those who are indifferent to their animals causing problems vs one who is genuinely contrite seems to play a big role in whether the affront is tolerated or not.  Whether I intervene with a neighbors animal coming onto my land has a lot to do with the neighbor and not the animal, YMMV. 

JonR

I happen to like cats, but they belong inside, period. 

Bought a Havahart trap several years ago -  it gets baited and set out whenever a cat is seen roaming the area. Take them to the local animal shelter where it costs the owner a minimum of $65 to get Mittens back. Never caught the same cat twice. Hopefully paying out hard-earned $$$ serves as an incentive to stop letting their adorable little non-native predators outside. 

mccuha

I had a couple cats as a kid.  I don’t care for them at all now.  I agree cats are fine as long as they stay inside.   They kill more wildlife than other creatures.  They mainly hunt to just pleasure and don’t eat a lot of what they kill.  I have zero tolerance for cats but like has been stated I want go into how I deal with them. 

homelessadam

Cats give the dogs something to hunt during the off season.

Brad Eden

I understand the problem with wandering cats, including the songbirds they kill and don't eat. But I think keeping a cat indoors all the time is cruel, as is declawing them. But I guess I'm a hypocrite since my dogs are spayed, neutered and have tails docked. Life is a conundrum.

DAG

My neighbors cat just ripped open all my sand bags for the back of my truck and is using it as a bathroom. Now I have to clean up 160 pounds of cat piss soaked sand.  

bobman

I agree cats should be kept inside they do fine and live long happy lives inside

The problem is the owner not the cat and the cat you kill may be some little old lady or little kids beloved pet

I would go door to door in the neighborhood with a photo of the cat on my phone and try to talk to the owner

JMO

Brad Eden
19 minutes ago, bobman said:

I agree cats should be kept inside they do fine and live long happy lives inside

So you talk to cats too? (Winks face here). Frankly I don't see a lot of joy with cats staring out windows and swatting at Flies behind the glass.

Zoli 16ga.

'Had' the same problem. Got a raccoon trap and trapped about four of them. drove them out to the countryside and let them out, becuase hey, the owners obviously wanted them to roam free...right?

'The problem is the owner not the cat and the cat you kill may be some little old lady or little kids beloved pet'

If they really loved them, they wouldn't let them out, close the door, then get back to watching tv or go to bed. No?