Steve Hunts

Neighborhood cats- rant

salmontogue
57 minutes ago, Zoli 16ga. said:

'Had' the same problem. Got a raccoon trap and trapped about four of them. drove them out to the countryside and let them out, becuase hey, the owners obviously wanted them to roam free...right?

'The problem is the owner not the cat and the cat you kill may be some little old lady or little kids beloved pet'

If they really loved them, they wouldn't let them out, close the door, then get back to watching tv or go to bed. No?

If I wrote that I trapped stray dogs (there are plenty here) and released them in the middle of nowhere (plenty of that here too) I would be roundly condemned as being cruel and heartless.  I have never done that but I do try to locate the owners before turning them over to the humane society.

I extend the same kindness to stray cats because they deserve the same consideration and respect and they may be someone's special pet.

The part of your message that rings true to me is that owners of all animals can be negligent and uncaring.  There's little we can do about that.  Too bad they cannot be dropped off in the middle of nowhere.

Zoli 16ga.

if all the cats did was crap on other neighbor's property, I couldn't have cared less....

our older dog also suffered an injury chasing a cat in our fenced in yard....$280 later at the vet...

Spend a year with stray cats crapping in your garden....and trying to keep your mutt from eating it etc....

Just say'n. 

RJR

I don’t tolerate cats. 

bigjohnsd

I am quite fond of "Sail Cats"  the thinner and drier the better! JSNS

Wildcat
13 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

LOL, same goes for sail squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc ;)

Where I live cats don't last long outside, just the other day I saw a big red fox chasing a cat which had been prowling on my land. I don't see that cat anymore.

bigjohnsd
3 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

LOL, same goes for sail squirrels, raccoons, possums, etc ;)

Where I live cats don't last long outside, just the other day I saw a big red fox chasing a cat which had been prowling on my land. I don't see that cat anymore.

Coyotes feast on them here.

robp
22 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

The Legend of Sailcat

There's danger out on the nations' roads
They're paved with snakes and flattened toads,
And truckers drive in rigs so big
They can flatten a cow, or a horse, or a manatee!
And those who survive are a lucky few,
But there's one brave cat who made it through
And I'm here to tell the tale to you of Sailcat.

Sailcat? Sailcat!

He was huntin' for mouse to feed his face,
When strange radiation from outer space
Turned him into a super invincible cat!
When a truck ran him down with a hideous splat!
Ah, he couldn't be killed, but he still could be squished
And he lay in the passing lane shakin' his fist
Then some kids helped him fly with a flick of the wrist
And that was the birth of Sailcat.

Sailcat. Sailcat.

He chased after that truck like a buzz saw unleashed,
And he sliced it in two like a knife through a peach
One truck half took the high road, the other the low
And the message went out on CB radio:
"Breaker, breaker, lookout, watch your back
Be afraid there's a Frisbee-like cat who's a mighty sharp blade."
So the feared and revered reputation was made of Sailcat.

Sailcat. Sailcat.

He's been known to chop redwoods and stop a whole fleet
When a family of tape worms was crossing the street
And when mom's having troubles with thanksgiving plans,
He has even dropped by to help open some cans
Or when someone's depressed and has had a bad day
He unerringly knows just the right things to say:
"Don't worry, Cow. People love you because you're big and fat and ugly.
Go with it!"
Then he'll ask for a toss, and be on his way
He's Sailcat.

topdog1961

My brother has a neighbor with hunting dogs that kill his cats, crap in his yard, pee on his tires, jump upon and scratch his vehicles, and dig up his mulch.  I’m sure we all have experienced this to some degree, but I see no dog hater threads here.  But likely there are such threads on cat forums also.  As Rodney King said, “why can’t we all just get along?”

We’ve always kept a couple garage cats around for mousing.  We live in the country so I don’t have to worry about our cats bothering anyone.  Some of them I didn’t care for, they were stereotypical cats, only giving attention when they want something.  But we have one now that when he goes, I will morn him as much as any dog I’ve ever owned.  We found him abandoned as a small kitten at a public boat ramp years ago.  He was there, starving but affectionate in the darkness when we launched, and still there in the darkness when we loaded.  My young son talked me into bringing him home with us.  

When he was about 2/3 grown, the dogs chased him under my wife’s van and she ran over him, crushing his pelvis.  He could only drag himself around by his front paws.  I was not going to spend thousands on a stray cat, so I strapped my Ruger .22 to my side, got a garbage bag and a shovel.  But when I bent down to pick him up, he looked me square in the eyes and never wavered his gaze. Now I’ve owned a lot of dogs, and trained thousands in my underground fencing business, and there are very very few animals who make and maintain steady eye contact and can convey that there is a lot more going on in there than when is my next meal or hunting trip.  It was obvious to me that he knew what was happening and was saying “give me a chance.”  I couldn’t do it.  So I put him in a big dog crate with a tray of litter, water, and food.  He crawled into the litter tray, lay there for two weeks then stood up.  After a month, he walked out.  Today he has some knarly feeling bones sticking out of his hips, but gets around pretty good, maybe ¾ speed.  But we’ve had a connection ever since.  

He comes out to greet me when the dogs won’t.  I remember once it was -20 with a howling wind, and dark when I barely made it home from work.  I parked at the end of our long drive because it was drifted closed.  The dogs stuck their heads out of the garage and quickly retreated, but Mitts slowly made his way over the tall drifts and through the sideways driving snow to get to me.  Plus he lets my grandkids carry him around like a rag doll.  When he goes, if before me, I will miss him greatly.  

I agree with Brad about house cats.  We also have an indoor cat, not by my choice, a three legged cat my daughter brought home as a kitten.  He’s a good cat also but not as devoted as Mitts.  But he helped her get through recovering from a terrible car accident.  He can never go outside, so he is declawed.  But he sits inside our large windows overlooking the river and you can see him longing to get to the squirrels and birds cavorting just outside.  I wish he could, he’s a hunter by nature, just as much as any of our dogs.

PS- I wish I hadn’t had the rear claws removed from the house cat. They weren’t hurting anything, and now the poor cat can’t even scratch an itch. 

E00A2471-8E04-4B9F-BB36-6489C60B54D1.jpeg

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, mccuha said:

I had a couple cats as a kid.  I don’t care for them at all now.  I agree cats are fine as long as they stay inside.   They kill more wildlife than other creatures.  They mainly hunt to just pleasure and don’t eat a lot of what they kill.  I have zero tolerance for cats but like has been stated I want go into how I deal with them. 

Everyday I drive past a state park at least 2 times.  There is all sorts of wildlife in the park including song and game birds.  I can't run my dog in there from I believe April through June, so I don't.  However, I see cats going in there at least 1x per day, if not more.  But the dog that points the bird and will wait until I flush it is the problem.  Go figure. 

ryanr
On 8/31/2019 at 9:38 AM, Zkight89 said:

"Three S" rule applies to any creature relieving itself on my craftsmanship....

Or in the case of one of my neighbor's chickens rhat my Hazel recently brought me: Ring neck until dead, pluck feathers and roast for Sunday dinner. The shut up part still applies though!

Zkight89
10 minutes ago, ryanr said:

Or in the case of one of my neighbor's chickens rhat my Hazel recently brought me: Ring neck until dead, pluck feathers and roast for Sunday dinner. The shut up part still applies though!

Free chicken, the best kind! 

OHhamster

Not a huge cat person myself. I've come across a few cats that I wouldn't mind having myself, but what's the chances I get a cat and it turns out like some of these few. I live in a neighborhood so seeing cats wondering around outside is pretty common. Drives me nuts, but not much I can do about it. My real gripe comes from a women (cat owner) I have to work with. She claims to be an animal lover, but if you were to ever have a conversation with her you would find out pretty quickly that she doesn't know much about them. Anyways, her being an "animal lover" means I get to hear a couple times a year about "how could you want to go out and kill an animal"? I don't have the heart to tell her that she is responsible for far more animal deaths a year than I will ever be do to her cats that roam outside freely. 

topdog1961

Here’s the good cat I posted about above, returning this morning after a successful hunt. Those crushed hips don’t stop him from earning his keep around here, he’s deadly on mice and chipmunks. Note the front paws, he’s a Hemingway cat. 

18F666FC-A978-4E9B-B309-90444727FCCB.jpeg

Peent
On 9/1/2019 at 5:42 AM, Brad Eden said:

I understand the problem with wandering cats, including the songbirds they kill and don't eat. But I think keeping a cat indoors all the time is cruel, as is declawing them. But I guess I'm a hypocrite since my dogs are spayed, neutered and have tails docked. Life is a conundrum.

Why should if matter if they eat it or not?  

Rockdoc

While in college I had a free range black and white alpha male cat named Domino (clever eh?). Domino was the neighborhood terror, he’d beat up all the male cats while at the same time when the females would go into heat they’d stop outside my trailer and yowl for Domino to come out and service them. As far as his hunting, I’ve never seen a cat with a comparable prey drive. I actually saw him chase a squirrel up into a tree where he caught and killed it! He’d catch birds, particularly blue jays, by laying in the yard until they’d start to harass him, then one at a time he’d jump up, sometimes 6’ in the air and catch them.

When I graduated college I took Domino home to Indiana with me, and then to a friends place in Chicago, and finally to a rent house in the western suburbs. By this time Domino had had it with me and he headed south to Southern Illinois where I’d gone to school. I saw him leaving as he looked over his shoulder at me with an angry FU look on his face.

Fast forward two years, I was now married and my new bride and I were at a greenhouse about 20 miles south and who walks up to greet us but Domino. The greenhouse owner noticed it and came over. After a small chat we learned that Domino had shown up two years earlier. I asked if he was happy there. The owner said, “Oh ya, he’s happy all right and so are we. We had a vermin problem here until he showed up but not anymore! I hope you’re not wanting him back.” Gail and I looked at each other grinned and were just happy he’d found the perfect home.

Steve