REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
barna

Jeep or 4 runner ?

Marc Ret
40 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Oops! I missed that. Ya gotta be 'wheelin.

True dat. 

sharptail grouse
22 hours ago, ryanr said:

Now it's the brine they use in winter that can do that damage quickly. The recommendation is to go thru a car wash after a snowstorm and get the undercarriage option. 

That era of 4runner and tacoma had issues with the frame rusting out, surf casting or not. There was a recall.

john mcg
17 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

That era of 4runner and tacoma had issues with the frame rusting out, surf casting or not. There was a recall.

What years were affected?

Duckn66

4Runner hands down!  We had one that we put 240k on and the only thing it required was brakes, tires and 2 bearings.

ours was an 06 we had bought with 65k on it.  Best vehicle I ever owned was a Toyota and the worse vehicle I ever owned was an 07 Tundra.  Piece of crap deluxe.  But that’s an anomaly I think.  Kind of like finding a needle in a haystack.  I found it with that truck.  But the 4 Runner was flat awesome!

sharptail grouse
2 hours ago, john mcg said:

What years were affected?

I want to say 96 thru maybe 99. We bought a 98 tacoma and had Toyota run the vin# against this. Not all of them in that era were affected - ours wasn't. We just called a Toyota dealer and they were happy to do it. I believe the statute of limitations may have run out for fixing it, but if you are buying one from back then its worth doing. Apparently they were even replacing entire frames and sometimes just buying back rigs.