Sign in to follow this  
BBlizzard18

Heart Recipes?

BBlizzard18

Deer heart always has always been on the grill or frying pan the same day as the animal was taken.  However, I have two big beef hearts in the freezer, one from a black angus cow our family split three ways, and the other from a highlander a friend raised. I’ve never had it, any suggestions for preparation or experience with it?  I also have 30 meat chickens that’ll I’ll butcher at the end of the month, I saved and ate the livers last time, but thinking the hearts may be worth a shot as well.  

Cheers, Joe. 

Spiller

I eat heart all the time...all kinds....

When you cut out all the ventricles and all the other grizzly stuff if you start at the right side of the heart it will roll out and open up and you'll have a curly fillet looking type thing.

What I do is I lay stuffing all across this, then roll it back up with the stuffing inside, and depending on the size of it I use either butcher string or toothpicks to hold it together, whatever I have...

You can go however you want on the stuffing...meat, no meat, more veggies, less veggies...italian bread crumbs from the IGA, homemade bread crumbs...use the herbs you like..I usually put sherry in all my stuffings...it moistens it... I also saute onions in a lot of butter and this and the sherry will hold the stuffing together....

I then wrap it in aluminum foil and cook it low and slow, in a roasting pan or a dutch oven with wine and a few bouillon cubes....I have done it in the oven, on top of wood stoves, in the camp fire, on the BBQ.....depending on heat source you might use the foil or not......regardless you will remove it after several hours and set it aside while you remove the juice from the pan to make gravy from the drippings on the stove top and then put the heart back in the oven (sans foil) to brown it and to brown the stuffing falling out of it....

DocE

For an appetizer with crackers and cheese ------ You can't beat Pickled Heart.

Recoil Rob

I have a moose heart in the freezer waiting to make tacos someday...

BBlizzard18
On 9/6/2019 at 1:21 PM, Spiller said:

I eat heart all the time...all kinds....

When you cut out all the ventricles and all the other grizzly stuff if you start at the right side of the heart it will roll out and open up and you'll have a curly fillet looking type thing.

What I do is I lay stuffing all across this, then roll it back up with the stuffing inside, and depending on the size of it I use either butcher string or toothpicks to hold it together, whatever I have...

You can go however you want on the stuffing...meat, no meat, more veggies, less veggies...italian bread crumbs from the IGA, homemade bread crumbs...use the herbs you like..I usually put sherry in all my stuffings...it moistens it... I also saute onions in a lot of butter and this and the sherry will hold the stuffing together....

I then wrap it in aluminum foil and cook it low and slow, in a roasting pan or a dutch oven with wine and a few bouillon cubes....I have done it in the oven, on top of wood stoves, in the camp fire, on the BBQ.....depending on heat source you might use the foil or not......regardless you will remove it after several hours and set it aside while you remove the juice from the pan to make gravy from the drippings on the stove top and then put the heart back in the oven (sans foil) to brown it and to brown the stuffing falling out of it....

Sounds pretty good.  

Ben Hong

I will eat heart, but not if there is another option. The good meat has too much of the taste of iron for my liking.

C.J.L.

Love heart, first part of a bear that I eat.  Unfortunately they have a 1 1/2 slice through it but still yum.  I slice, pound thin a bit, dust in my flour mix and fry.  But I'm going to try Spillers way next time.  

BBlizzard18
4 hours ago, Joel S. said:

I've made this a couple times, it's a lot of work but really, really good. Boudin recipe anyone can do and venison heart is great in it. Only change I suggest is make it like a ring bologna sausage instead of links. Very good appetizer. 

I had to look up what a ring bologna is, I had never heard of it, first thought was, “Oh, like kielbasa”.  Thanks for the recipe.

Joel S.
29 minutes ago, BBlizzard18 said:

I had to look up what a ring bologna is, I had never heard of it, first thought was, “Oh, like kielbasa”.  Thanks for the recipe.

Serve the Boudin on crackers with a drop of Chipotle tabasco and maybe a bit of melted cheese. Your deer camp buddies will never let you not show up with it.