ThreeDogs

Grouse Jerky safe? Good?

ThreeDogs

Alright I have a good mess of grouse and want to try something new. Anyone have a good grouse jerky recipe? Is grouse jerky safe or does it need to be cooked?

Mike da Carpenter

I’ve made jerky from pheasant and it was the best jerky I have ever ate.  I used High Mountain Jerky seasoning to do it.

SxSetter

plus 1 on the High Mountain.  I assume you're talking Sharptail? Should be minimal concerns re bacterial contamination if no gut transfer and no parasites that I'm aware of.  Dark meat birds should make good jerky as well.  I've done wild turkey jerky a bunch.  If you have a dehydrator with a heat setting 160-170F should be enough heat and low enough moisture and enough salt and cure to be safe, and delicious.

ThreeDogs

Blue grouse jerky is what I was thinking. The young ones are great to eat but the mondo veteran birds like we shot today are a little strong.

7A8EC5DF-DA39-4E70-9696-AA40DC805B03.jpeg

95050E67-FEF5-479B-9B14-258EFAD9AB76.jpeg

Remo

Buddy makes the best venison jerky I've eaten, he could sell it commercially. But his goose jerky is so bad the dogs will walk around it. Not that it has anything to do with this topic. 

Real nice pics. Those boys are growing up.

dogrunner

Plus 2 high mountain and a dehydrator and any other spices you think you'll like or mix up a couple different kinds and have a taste test. Usually add a little something with a sweet taste maybe a little honey or brown sugar. 

SxSetter

Nice looking birds.  I don't know if their dietary habits are similar to Spruce grouse?  

Young one's also milder than the veterans.

ThreeDogs
30 minutes ago, SxSetter said:

Nice looking birds.  I don't know if their dietary habits are similar to Spruce grouse?  

Young one's also milder than the veterans.

Very similar. After one winter they pick up a pretty notable pine flavor. They eat pine needles all winter long.

ThreeDogs
47 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Plus 2 high mountain and a dehydrator and any other spices you think you'll like or mix up a couple different kinds and have a taste test. Usually add a little something with a sweet taste maybe a little honey or brown sugar. 

Where do I get this high mountain?

SxSetter

They're in Wyoming. I've got it at Cabela's and TSC in Canada.

https://himtnjerky.com/

dogrunner

I get mine at Dunham’s sports or probably cabelas or bass pro or sportsman’s warehouse. 

ThreeDogs

Thanks guys!

Ben Hong

Ruffed grouse is too good to make jerky with. Try it with trashy birds like geese, coots and pheasant.

Brad Eden

I've never made it but I know some people make wild turkey jerky that is good. I've never shot or eaten any grouse except ruffed, and wouldn't make those into jerky. Too damn delicious.

Hub

Another High Mountain fan here.  The Cajun is my favorite.  I like the sliced jerky best, but most buddies prefer the ground and jerky cannoned variety.  I've never tried sharpies, but I've done snow geese and pheasants.