Sign in to follow this  
Altahunter

London

Altahunter

I will have a couple of days in London mid October, any must see places. Leaning toward gun shops/sporting type establishments. Willing to travel outside of London. I have always enjoyed smaller towns.

bigdog MN

I was in London in 2012 and visited this gun shop along with Beretta which was a few blocks away. William Evans had the tweed shooting gear upstairs and shotguns were in a basement vault, really cool old place. We discussed gun ownership in the UK and hunting. I never went back but the manager did provide e-mail contacts for assistance with a bird hunt should I ever return. 

William Evans Ltd.
67a St. James's Street
London
SW1A 1PH
Tel: +44 (0)20 7493 0415

sneem

Hit the Holland and Holland gun room. It's an experience to be surrounded by $100,000 shotguns. Don't worry about them looking down their nose at you. I have been there twice and they have been totally friendly.

bullseyebill

Purdey and Boss are right near H&H. If you have access to back issues of Shooting Sportsman, Chris Batha did a nice article on

touring the London gun trade. It's in the May/June 2008 issue.

If you're a WW2 buff ,I highly recommend the Churchill war rooms and the Imperial war museum.

The British museum is very cool. All the museums are free. I think there is a fee for the War rooms.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.

James Purdey & Sons Ltd.
Audley House
57 - 58 South Audley Street
London, W1K 2ED

quailguy

For gun shops in London, Purdey, H&H and I think Boss (I haven’t seen Boss) will overwhelm anyone. Purdeys used to have some less than £100,000 guns; they have used guns and I almost broke my credit card there one day. 

For museums the British Museum is one of the top museums in the world. Entire city gates from Assyria, rooms of Greek treasures and much, much more. The Victoria and Albert is a nice art museum. For military buffs, the Imperial War Museum and Churchill’s war rooms are not to be missed.  

There a number of great country houses near London one might take a day to visit. Woburn Abbey is really interesting and neat and the Churchill family demesne of the Dukes of Marlborough, Blenheim Palace in nearby Oxfordshire is stupendous.  Lots more of lesser houses to visit.  The treasures of art, furniture,etc, stored up in these longtime aristocratic houses is really unbelievable.    

Have way way more than one Fullers London Pride ale for me!!