2 Ugly Dogs

Silverados

Jacksdad

probably not near as bad as the AFM debacle.  

Mike da Carpenter
15 minutes ago, Jacksdad said:

probably not near as bad as the AFM debacle.  

I have a Range device plugged into my OBD 2 port that leaves my truck in V8 mode at all times.  Figured I bought a V8, not a V4.  Also installed a Catch Can to remove as much oil vapor as possible before it goes back into the throttle body.  You’d think a company that has been making engines for over 100 years would be able to make one that doesn’t burn oil.

What really gets me is that I own a 2014 5.3L Silverado (61,000 miles) that gets 15 MPG and burns oil.  Our boys own a 2000 5.3L Silverado (with 182,000 miles)  that gets 15 MPG and burns no oil.  So in essence, GM had 15 years and spent 10’s-100’s of millions of $$$ in product research and development to produce a motor that does exactly the same as it did 15 years prior and now burns oil.  What ever happened to the KISS way of doing things?

Jacksdad

Had the same in my ‘13 Suburban.  Range and catch can.  If the ‘13 had the 5.3 from prior gens I’d have kept that truck forever.  

Cheesy

Wife bought a 2007 new (with AFM). It went through the oil. Got no better mileage than my 2003 that we kept. Has a lot of bearing on why I just bought a new Tundra.  

Mike da Carpenter
7 hours ago, Cheesy said:

Has a lot of bearing on why I just bought a new Tundra.  

And when this 2014 dies, or starts costing to much to fix...hopefully close to 10-15 more years...I too will be looking towards one of those foreign jobs.

Cheesy
2 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

And when this 2014 dies, or starts costing to much to fix...hopefully close to 10-15 more years...I too will be looking towards one of those foreign jobs.

Speculation is Tundras go to turbo’d V6’s just like Ford in 2022. I’m not a fan. Just a standard engine. Steel body panels and not aluminum. 10 speed transmissions are good for mileage, but search for gears, and I wonder about longevity. I don’t like all the tech features in the cab to fail. 

I am just a 39 year old Luddite. 

Jacksdad

'dumb tech' is why i went Tundra.  The big 3 are all more comfortable.  In some cases better looking too.  

dogrunner

So far I like the 10 speed in my 2018 F150 with 26,000 miles. 

chilly460

Newer vehicles run low tension rings, 1.5mm/3mm or even thinner, so there have been several engine families that need these catch cans.  As CAFE standards tighten, manufacturers have to start making these refinements in order to hit regulations.  No idea if they changed ring profiles on newer LS engines, my 2009 5.3L didn’t burn oil.  

Seems transmissions are the new Achilles heel for autos, engines easily go 250k now but nearly every manufacturer seems to have issues with their automatic trans.  Could just be that focus is on the trans now that the engines are more durable?  The 4L60e wasn’t exactly known for its longevity either, prior bread and butter GM automatic

Mike da Carpenter
On 9/4/2019 at 7:23 PM, chilly460 said:

No idea if they changed ring profiles on newer LS engines, my 2009 5.3L didn’t burn oil.  

I had a 2009 GMC Sierra 5.3 that burned more oil than Saddam Hussein did.  I finally had enough when the throttle body was coated in oil and the electronics on the motor no longer were sending reading to the “brain” unit and shut down.

Traded that one in for a 2013 Tahoe that was great, but just too short.  Really wish I had bought a Suburban with the bigger V8 and just drove it till it died.  Traded the Tahoe in for the 2014 Silverado instead.  Oh well, love and learn. Now I’ll drive this till it costs me to much to keep on the road.

67diesel
On 9/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, Mike da Carpenter said:

I have a Range device plugged into my OBD 2 port that leaves my truck in V8 mode at all times.  Figured I bought a V8, not a V4.  Also installed a Catch Can to remove as much oil vapor as possible before it goes back into the throttle body.  You’d think a company that has been making engines for over 100 years would be able to make one that doesn’t burn oil.

What really gets me is that I own a 2014 5.3L Silverado (61,000 miles) that gets 15 MPG and burns oil.  Our boys own a 2000 5.3L Silverado (with 182,000 miles)  that gets 15 MPG and burns no oil.  So in essence, GM had 15 years and spent 10’s-100’s of millions of $$$ in product research and development to produce a motor that does exactly the same as it did 15 years prior and now burns oil.  What ever happened to the KISS way of doing things?

I'll betcha the piston rings or other engine components were outsourced to China.  

sidepass

Was thinking about checking out a new Silverado Trail Boss for retirement. Will be looking at new Tundras instead. No thanks GMC!

dogrunner
6 hours ago, sidepass said:

Was thinking about checking out a new Silverado Trail Boss for retirement. Will be looking at new Tundras instead. No thanks GMC!

How bout a Ford?

sidepass

l'll take a peek at Ford Also along with the Ram with the Cummins.