Sign in to follow this  
Spiller

New way to put up tomatoes...

Spiller

I put up 16 quarts of peeled crushed tomatoes this morning in the drizzle...

I can't vouch for how good they will be when I try them this winter but I can for the simplicity of doing it using a gadget an Amish woman told me about. 

It is is called a "Saucemaster II". There are a few manufacturers which make similar, but I got the Norpro one.

It does have plastic parts so it isn't bombproof...in fact the Amish woman had an all metal one that costs like 3 to 4 times as much dinero but she uses hers more or less industrial style and said this one would work fine for family use.  Hers was called a "Squeezo"...nice ...... sounds like a Rob Zombie clown.....

Anyway I purchased one and she also suggested to get the coarser screen option with it when I said I wanted to do tomatoes...the smaller screens can be used for making seedless jams, applesauce and other stuff.... I didn't want tomato juice which is pretty much what you'll get with the smaller screen.

Anyhoo.....

I washed it put it together with the coarse screen and did 16 quarts in less than a hour, all sealed in freezable deli tubs and in the freezer.

I have been canning tomatoes for years and it is a PITA compared to this thing...it is slick, if you do this sort of stuff with your home garden.

No pic...I actually do not own a smart phone...

Spiller

I forgot to add...you can still can the tomatoes if you want using this and it will still be a time saver...I just wanted try try freezing them since I heard you could do it....

co_setter
20 minutes ago, Spiller said:

I put up 16 quarts of peeled crushed tomatoes this morning in the drizzle...

I can't vouch for how good they will be when I try them this winter but I can for the simplicity of doing it using a gadget an Amish woman told me about. 

It is is called a "Saucemaster II". There are a few manufacturers which make similar, but I got the Norpro one.

It does have plastic parts so it isn't bombproof...in fact the Amish woman had an all metal one that costs like 3 to 4 times as much dinero but she uses hers more or less industrial style and said this one would work fine for family use.  Hers was called a "Squeezo"...nice ...... sounds like a Rob Zombie clown.....

Anyway I purchased one and she also suggested to get the coarser screen option with it when I said I wanted to do tomatoes...the smaller screens can be used for making seedless jams, applesauce and other stuff.... I didn't want tomato juice which is pretty much what you'll get with the smaller screen.

Anyhoo.....

I washed it put it together with the coarse screen and did 16 quarts in less than a hour, all sealed in freezable deli tubs and in the freezer.

I have been canning tomatoes for years and it is a PITA compared to this thing...it is slick, if you do this sort of stuff with your home garden.

No pic...I actually do not own a smart phone...

Is this it? 

YouTube Video

Spiller

Yeah that's the one....

browndrake

We used a squeezo for a long time. I upgraded to the expensive metal one a couple years back.  Both work great and the tomatoes will taste great this winter.