REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
john mcg

SUV/Small Truck Hunt Soon

john mcg
Just now, Tim Frazier said:

Xtera's are a screaming deal right now IMHO.  Find one below 75,000 miles and rust free and you will be good for 10 years!

We enjoyed our Xterra and my daughter Julie put tons of miles on one as well.

They are very capable, but not so roomy.

Having said that, They are being considered.

kgb
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I had a Ford Ranger once. First new truck I ever bought, this would have been around 1985. 4 cyl, single cab POS. They must have come a long way since then. That thing couldn't gain enough speed to get out of its own way. The new Rangers sure are good looking, ill look hard at one of those since they should be coming up used in the next year or so.

When we bought our '90 there was a guy at the club who had a 4x4 extra cab with the 4cyl and lack of power was his first and constant complaint.  Going for a V6 was easy.

Windrider
6 hours ago, john mcg said:

We enjoyed our Xterra and my daughter Julie put tons of miles on one as well.

They are very capable, but not so roomy.

Having said that, They are being considered.

We have a 2015 Xterra 4WD. It is out all time favorite vehicle.

i wish I would have bought a Frontier in 2017 instead of a wrangler unlimited.  Love the drive train and everything about the style of interior.

This is my third Jeep, so that should tell you something.

GLS

Well, all this discussion about SUV/Trucks coincided with wife telling me I should get another vehicle as my Sequoia, a 2003 has  224,000 miles on it and it looks it.  I had put it off thinking I could ride the Sequoia into the Heavenly Sunset.  I took it in to have it serviced and asked the mechanic, a Toyota factory trained mechanic who has his own shop, to look it over and see what he thought.  "No reason this can't be driven past 300,000.  No metal shavings in the transmission fluid that he could see when he drained and replaced the fluid.  I had been looking at Craig's list and found a 4Runner, 90K, a 2013, that looked great.  It had a 41,000 mile discrepancy Odometer vs. Carfax although it most likely was an error on reporting.   I think the seller can prove it by oil change receipts and new tires with mileage established before the May reporting error.  IMG_20190913_174332.thumb.jpg.eac42afb1a121353aed1d7d63b608cd9.jpgThen the owner owed money to  Capital One AND it was titled in another state.  It wouldn't have been an easy transaction and  I'd have played hell in having the original title mailed to me after paying it off.   Capital One has no brick and mortar presence and good luck hearing a live voice when called.  Probably could have gotten it  at a good price but I'd have worn that Carfax report around my neck if the seller couldn't get it corrected.  Far too many transactional moving parts.  As much as I hate to buy a used car from a dealer, I saw one online and sure enough it had been sold last night.  The company had just put another online, a 2016 with 30K on it.  There was not much wiggle room, negotiating  but what I like about this company is that it sells a lot of Toyotas to Hilton Head re$ident$ and they don't keep them long and trade them often and service them at the dealer.  Here's the 2016 XP that I picked up.  One owner, all service done on schedule at the dealer.  Pay a little more than dealing with a private party, but sleep a lot better.   Oh, what a feeling!  Just wish I could still jump and click my heels together.  I'm keeping the Sequoia which is like an old dog.  Gonna keep it till it drops.  

john mcg

Very nice. Congrats.

could you jump down and click?

GLS

Might could lie on my back and click heels.  Maybe.  Space between wheel wells is 43"  My crates are 22" wide.  Might could buy the large dog crate with divider and try it.  Although my dogs will ride together in one crate...I could park this truck inside my Sequoia.  Gil

airmedic1

I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier that has 115,000 miles that I bought new.  It is the king cab 4 door, 4x4 with a six speed.  I have always got about 20 mpg with it, and other than struts, shocks, brakes and a serpentine belt, I have never had any trouble with it.  I have a Deer Creek dog  box in the back during hunting season and a hard tonneau cover for the summer.  It has been one of the most reliable vehicles that I have ever had.  There isn't much room in the rear seats but the front is comfortable for me and I'm 6'3".  It is the only vehicle that I have hunted out of for the last 12 years.

\

rideold
1 hour ago, GLS said:

Well, all this discussion about SUV/Trucks coincided with wife telling me I should get another vehicle as my Sequoia, a 2003 has  224,000 miles on it and it looks it.  I had put it off thinking I could ride the Sequoia into the Heavenly Sunset. 

Dang.  And I was thinking my 02 with 256,000 was good for another while.  Now you have me thinking I should be looking around!

GLS
13 hours ago, rideold said:

Dang.  And I was thinking my 02 with 256,000 was good for another while.  Now you have me thinking I should be looking around!

Guess which vehicle led sales of vehicles over 200K miles in 2017?  I'm keeping mine as an back-up.  Need to cancel collision insurance, however.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2018/04/03/marathon-runners-vehicles-most-likely-to-last-for-over-200000-miles/#5b615a16a0a4

john mcg

Interesting article.

Dave Erickson

1000502j.jpg

My two Nissan trucks gave me 25 years of excellent service. I had one wheel bearing and a power window to repair and that was it for anything remotely major, beside a gas gauge issue with my 05 Frontier. The 93 Nissan Pickup is still probably going strong somewhere. Tough trucks. That said, my mechanic buddy did mention they tend to have more than their share of electrical problems. Just his opinion, but my Frontier did have the window and gas gauge issue. Nissan shop quoted my $1800 to fix the gas gauge (pull the tanks, etc). I used the trip-set for the last 5 years I had the truck.

I went Tacoma on my last truck. It definitely has a tighter turning radius than my Frontier. I didn't realize how wide my Frontier's turning radius was until I started driving the Taco. The Frontier was "punchier," but the Taco clearly gets better gas mileage. So far so good.

john mcg

I see that SxS.

🙂

GLS

Rideold, judging from your handle and the fact that you still have your '02,  I'd say you get the goody out of a truck.  If you decide to start looking, I'd keep the Sequoia as you won't get squat in a sale or trade-in if you decide to buy another vehicle.  It would make a great back up vehicle.

Wife and I tend to drive cars and trucks forever.  To keep miles off the Sequoia, I drove a ragged out Volvo 960 wagon to work.  It was a  1997 that only had 167,000 on it when I retired in October and I gave it as hand me down back up car to a young work associate.  It had gotten t-boned on the drivers side, pinning the rear door permanently closed and it would have taken some serious frame and side pillar welding work to straighten it out.  The cost of repair exceeded the value, but it went from A to B and B to A daily and kept about 6K a year off the Sequoia.  To keep it dry and to cut down on wind noise, I jammed black pipe insulation in the gaps.  It was a thing of beauty.   My wife drove it when we first bought it, then it was a hand me down to daughter while in high school, then I took it over.  For years it was the extra car in our household.  Good luck with the old gal.  The 4.7L  engine can keep on keeping on.  Gil

rideold

Good advice. I'll be keeping the Sequoia until it falls apart. My wife did say she won't take another road trip in it again while we were driving back home this summer. Too loud and rattly was her diagnosis. I still maintain it was the old Coleman stove making the rattling noise......  My daughter can get her driver's permit in August of 2021 so maybe that'll be when I start looking for a Tundra I can afford. I've been dreaming of getting a 4 wheel popup camper someday.  The Sequoia is big enough for me to sleep in but I'm getting too old to not stand up when I get dressed!

ryanr
On 9/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, john mcg said:

Before long I will be getting into a used vehicle of one or the other--before heading back to NH.

No salt and such around these parts.

The choices for now

Frontier/Tacoma

Pathfinder/4runner

Used of course.... I have owned several Nissans and all with the same 6 cylinder motor and the Nissans are often priced lower than the Toyotas. I think the higher prices are not due to quality, but by the hysteria of the cultists.

I loved my Frontier with the cap and drawers I built, but the Pathfinder provides more comfort for the dogs.

I want to be able to get back into the old class 6 roads, so a full size truck is not being considered.

Watch the Nissans, depending upon the year, there is an issue with coolant leaking into the transmission (apparently there's a work around if it hasn't already started though.) I almost bought a 06 Pathfinder (had a 96 Pathfinder that I loved) until I got wise to this issue and stuck with a Toyota 4Runner. I got a 1 owner, local trade '07 with 175,000 in fantastic shape for $8000. Having owned newer and brand new vehicles before I refuse to pay more than $10,000 now for any vehicle knowing I can still find a very good vehicle at that price and it will last many more years. Very Happy so far!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://repairpal.com/radiator-fails-and-dumps-coolant-into-transmission-fluid-destroying-the-transmission-029.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjeiIyV3dXkAhXQY98KHUkuC8YQFjAOegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3EDBvzABjXivO61JFT9Zwd&ampcf=1&cshid=1568650304123