dgfavor

Just Glad to Be Here

salmontogue

In the late fifties (yes, I am that old) my family had a coastal fish camp situated in an old and dense stand of hemlocks close to the water.  A single hemlock in that stand was hit by lightning.  There was a long vertical strip of bark about ten inches wide that was peeled off all the way to the ground.  A groove more than a half foot deep went from that tree to the ground rod on the electric service and went into the service entry panel.  The front part of the panel was blown off, the wall was black and scorched and the panel interior was destroyed.  Thankfully we were not there at the time.

You are extremely fortunate to avoid injury.  I have been on the east slope and experienced a feeling of static electricity surrounding me, it is terrifying.

Could you smell ozone during your experience?

Jacksdad

Wonder if one of the nicer hunting/dog magazines might publish that story?  Really well told.  

SODAKer

Glad you made it out. That is one force of nature I don't tempt.

During a boundary waters trip, it was so bad that our hair was sticking out and we couldn't wait for the storm to pass after the initial, this is cool. On another occasion my uncle was walking from his RV to the facilities and a bolt struck him in the neck and then exited his wrist and ankle; he didn't make it. There are times when I will sit in the car in the driveway and wait for a storm to pass over before making a 15' run for the front door.

co_setter

Glad you guys are OK.  I have been caught above timberline in a lightning storm and it is scary and helpless feeling.

Rockdoc

A friend and I were out on a small Texas lake fishing when black clouds began rolling in. The water became dead calm and the next thing we knew our fishing rods began to make crackling and popping sounds. I didn't know that our boat could go so fast when we headed back to the shore!

Steve

sharptail grouse

I had a bolt strike a limber pine about 30 feet behind me. It popped a 3 inch spiral strip of bark off the tree and scared me sh!tless. It was around the 4th of July and I thought someone had dropped an M-80 right behind me. The nearest thunderstorm at the time was at least 6 miles to the south. 

topdog1961

Glad everyone made it out OK, with the only loss being a change of underwear, or two. 

floodcity

Glad nobody got hurt. Quite a scary situation. Well told.

SelbyLowndes

Scary story.  Completely different locale, but it reminded me of an afternoon Emily and I cowered in the boston whaler under a mangrove edge in the Everglades while surrounded by a summer thunder boomer.  Lightning is a natural force that still reaches deep into the human psyche...SelbyLowndes  

dgfavor

Scary stuff for sure!!  

A buddy at work this morning told me a friend of his south of town went looking for his horse yesterday and found it dead struck by lightning right next to their metal barn.  He also mentioned that at work yesterday morning they actually went to the windows trying to figure out what was going on outside because it just looked wierd....they thought maybe it was a fire with smoke in the air but decided it was just the clouds super low and dark.  Musta just been one of those wierd weather days...that we decided was perfect for running bird dogs...doh!!  Going for the Darwin award I guess!  😁

Cooter Brown

Back in the olden days I was at the Ocoee river.  The rodeo (playboat competition) was coming up.  Back then the rodeo was held at Hell Hole and there were a bunch of us there practicing.  I was out of my boat taking a break.  I was leaning up against a rock, and of course I was soaking wet and barefoot--it'd been raining and the rock, which was not underneath the bridge, was wet too.

Suddenly time seemed to suspend and every muscle in my body tensed.  I was vaguely aware of a loud snap and a flash, but the overall sensation was the jolt through my body and time standing still.  It seemed to last a long time but it was a very short duration.  When it stopped the people around me were a bit wigged out from the hit, but I was the only one who took a shock.  I was also the only one not under the bridge.  It was obviously an indirect hit.  I was sore the next day from the muscle tension.

The only thing I can liken it to is when I was taking an electronics class and got across a high voltage/low current power source (used for testing and experiments) on my bench.  The feeling was very similar.

sidepass

Something new to think about when riding our horses. As if high winds and shattering eucalyptus trees were not enough.  Glad you and yours got out safe.

walt lister

Glad all are OK.

Might be time to buy a lottery ticket!!:)

fishvik

Glad you made it DG. Working for federal land management, a bunch of it in fire, lightning is nothing to mess with.

sharptail grouse

"Man brings all things to the test of himself and this is most notably true of lightning"

Aldo Leopold