Sign in to follow this  
Gyrfolco

Not going to hunt these this year...

Gyrfolco

Because I’m heading to the Dakotas early. But, I’ll be running dogs on them all winter long. 

Hope you all all have a great fall season!!

2C58DE33-32F1-4A4E-B575-7DA61F780F2C.jpeg

Don Steese

Nice photo! I've never shot one and never had the desire but lately I seem to be getting the itch. 

Randy S
Just now, Don Steese said:

Nice photo! I've never shot one and never had the desire but lately I seem to be getting the itch. 

Me too!

fishvik

I know a lot of people that don't want to hunt sage grouse because of the population decline, but the limited harvest provides valuable data to biologists on age and sex ratios. So if you harvest any, turn in a wing and a undertail covert feather to your local F&G.

Don Steese

I probably won't bother but I could do it from where I am on a very long day trip I'd guess. An overnighter would  certainly get it done. 

fishvik
13 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I probably won't bother but I could do it from where I am on a very long day trip I'd guess. An overnighter would  certainly get it done. 

Don, that would be a very long trip for just two birds to take home, only one a day, here in Idaho this year. In this part of the state we only have a two day season.

Gyrfolco

4 in Wyoming. But I don’t really care about possession limit. I just like to see the dogs work. I go where the birds are. 15 hour drive to hunt North Dakota, and cannot wait.

floodcity

Will hunt them again as I wander through wyoming and Idaho. Neat birds.

Don Steese
21 hours ago, fishvik said:

Don, that would be a very long trip for just two birds to take home, only one a day, here in Idaho this year. In this part of the state we only have a two day season.

I'm not really interested in taking a bunch of  birds home, I'd just like to shoot one to experience it for me and Mabel. I drive 1750 miles out here so 150 more miles or so is not a big deal. Still unlikely that I'll do it though. 

Chukarman

I have not shot a sage grouse in 10 or 15 years. Not for lack of opportunity, just don't see shooting birds that are becoming threatened by so many other factors.

C.J.L.
2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

for me and Mabel

You haven't mentioned Lefty this year?????

fishvik
2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I'm not really interested in taking a bunch of  birds home, I'd just like to shoot one to experience it for me and Mabel. I drive 1750 miles out here so 150 more miles or so is not a big deal. Still unlikely that I'll do it though. 

If you ever decide to do it, Wyoming might be a better bet, closer to you and more birds. But if you want to trek to Idaho let me know and I help you out anyway I can.

Don Steese
9 hours ago, Chukarman said:

I have not shot a sage grouse in 10 or 15 years. Not for lack of opportunity, just don't see shooting birds that are becoming threatened by so many other factors.

That is one of the factors that will probably keep me from hunting them. 

ThreeDogs
On 9/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, Don Steese said:

They are funner to train on in March-April and then again in July when the chicks are big enough to fly. Poor eating and there aren’t enough around to shoot these days. IMHO of course.

MTRookie76

I hope this thread doesn't discourage someone from taking a bucket list hunt. There are many places with good bird numbers where taking a few birds is a perfectly ethical and reasonable thing to do. I've probably shot my last Sage Grouse but I've also shot a few. Sage Grouse are a really cool bird and every upland hunter should experience a sage grouse hunt. Just don't over do it.