Quig

Using a bell and pups hearing

Quig

It’s been a busy summer for me, I’ve not gotten Aspen out nearly as often as I’d hoped. Last night we went for a run on some state land. I must have left my ecollors on as they both were dead. Charged one a bit and went to another spot after helping my mom for a bit. 

I digress, so I use a north woods low tone bell, my hearing is bad and I can hear it. I tape the clapper so it is less ring and more  clunk. Twice Aspen went the opposite direction of me when I called her, I could see her running down the two rut going away from me. She was obviously looking for me, and running hard to find me. In the woods, off the two track I think the same thing happened couple more times. I’ve had this happen with other dogs as well,  they go in the direction I cast my voice as opposed to back to me.

I’m going to be trying a new bell, and also going without one as well. She normally handles very well, last night, hearing was a issue.

Anyone have a bell recommendation? Has anyone had similar experience?

C.J.L.

I think it's a learning thing dogs go through.  Dog will figure out to stop so they can hear where you're at and locate you.  

Spiller

If IIRC Northwoods Bells are the ones everyone calls "Lion Country Safari bells" ?  Yes? If I am on the correct track, they are wicked loud, and quite large, that is why people like them and buy them. I am hard of hearing too because when I was a kid I played in a rock and roll band but for some reason I can hear bells fine..it must have something to do with the timbre... I don't use an LCS bell, even though I bought one because I think it is just too large compared to the size of the dogs I prefer, they seem way out of proportion in relation to the size of the dog, like a big anchor around the dogs neck, so I use several smaller swiss bells and sometimes round sleigh bells... I have heard it said that a dog will not hear a command over a loud bell but I am not 100% convinced, dogs I think can hear pretty good....the dogs I have hunted over were not too far ranging so I can hear the smaller (less loud) bells fine...and I don't think I deafen the dog with them regardless.

Ray Gubernat

I am not a huge fan of bells in general.  I do think they tend to mess up a dog's hearing over time.  I much prefer  beeper that has a top mounted speaker to them.  My ultimate preference is a good GPS, but they are expensive.    A bell and a throat mounted speaker both have the same drawbacks.  They are louder when the dog is facing you and very much quieter when the dog is facing directly away, because the dog's body is in the way.  Also the nose come up and around the dog's ears from both.  The top mounted speaker tends to direct the noise up and away from the dog's ears and is actually a tad louder when the dog is headed away from you.

I would suggest that, for hunting, you might consider a small bell with a pleasing tone and a beeper with a remote that you can activate if necessary. 

RayG

dogrunner

I don't like bells, have seen numerous dogs do the same thing years ago, now I just use a beeper when I need it. 

Ridge Runner

Ray X2.   

My dogs clearly have done best when hunting silent.  But then again, I have ran gps for some time now which makes that much less stressful.    

Anyone ever measure the decibels being put out by your particular bells?   I imagine that will have a direct impact on the dogs hearing loss over time.  There are a few pretty good phone apps out there to use to check.  Maybe do a little research re app accuracy & do some checking.  Might make an interesting and useful collection of data.

Hmm, come to think of it,  We currently have a little 6 month old setter that I have been taking to the woods with a bell rather than the full size gps collar.  Recently She seems to have developed a few hearing issues!  I bet it is from that bell!  And it isn't a very loud one either!  Quite pleasing ring, & only carries 35-40 yards at best.   Guess will have to talk to the wife tonight about ordering a Mini collar for HER Pup!  She has noticed the same hearing issues with the pup around the house too, so I am sure she will be all for it!! 

Urban_Redneck

I run a bell primarily because much of my bird hunting takes place during archery season. 

I like the hand forged bells I get from France, the tone seems to carry so less volume is needed. I run the bell at 7:30 or 4:30 so it only rings when she's really moving. 

P1010334_resize.thumb.JPG.649d5103e41db0cabe5f819e769bbb9b.JPG

Spiller

I'm not trying to create a ruckus or to be controversial at all, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I think anyone can do whatever the hell they want however they want to do it.

So this is just my opinion...

...but the few times I've hunted with folks who use beepers when their dogs are on point for me it somehow just feels foreign in the grouse woods.

It sounds like a garbage truck or a back hoe is backing up in the woods.  

I'm sure it works and it is functional and all that, but it just doesn't have the old world charm of a dog with a bell running in the biscuit wood, and for me that is part and parcel to the delight of upland hunting..ie the tradition of it....

I've killed enough birds in 40 years of bird hunting that I don't really even care that much if I kill anything when I go into the woods, I just like the smell and feel of it.

My dogs have been trained for recall when they here a beep of the training collar anyway so for me I don't think a point beeper would work anyway. 

CheckCord
On 9/10/2019 at 6:00 AM, Quig said:

Twice Aspen went the opposite direction of me when I called her, I could see her running down the two rut going away from me. She was obviously looking for me, and running hard to find me.

I just read about this last night!  She was heading towards your echo.  The grouse man that wrote about it said to call with your back to them.  They will still hear it and the echo will reinforce the direction it came from.  

Woods are a strange place. 

finsfurfeathers
2 hours ago, Spiller said:

I'm sure it works and it is functional and all that, but it just doesn't have the old world charm of a dog with a bell running in the biscuit wood, and for me that is part and parcel to the delight of upland hunting..ie the tradition of it....

I've killed enough birds in 40 years of bird hunting that I don't really even care that much if I kill anything when I go into the woods, I just like the smell and feel of it.

I'm with you on the bell  experience, Always felt more connected with the dog listening to the bell. The cadence often told me what the dog was up too.

I only differ  with you as I've added a beeper on point to the bell. Hunting woodcock have found sometimes I've "lost" the dog on point. Now with the beeper set on a 10 sec delay I find I'm quicker to the point not so much for the shot but I feel its bit of a strain on the dog waiting for me to show up.

ESetterSage

I watched a video of a guy who put his hand over his mouth as he yelled, not covered but reflected his voice towards the ground. He said it throws his voice down towards the ground where the dog can hear, never tried it think it was on one of the project upland videos.

Speaks

I started running with a bell recently and honestly really like it. I have a very darn good idea where the dog is and use the GPS only if he is getting way out there. 

I did have a similar recall issue 3 times where the dog clearly wanted to find me but was not locating from my voice, only one of the three was the bell on but all three were windy and all with me calling over a valley to my dog on the other side so the echo theory makes sense. I switched to a whistle and not had a problem sense then. Just an easier sound to pick up and locate to. 

I also use a double tweet as kind of a check where I am command and a long blast for recall. If he is quite engaged hitting the check in a few times gets him paying attention and knowing where I am which makes the recall easier. 

I know nothing about specific bells but went with a smaller swiss style which I hear is much quieter but seems loud enough for me so far. We will see if that holds true as his range grows. 

Lastly nice dog name, my pup birch approves. 

Quig
7 hours ago, CheckCord said:

I just read about this last night!  She was heading towards your echo.  The grouse man that wrote about it said to call with your back to them.  They will still hear it and the echo will reinforce the direction it came from.  

Woods are a strange place. 

I did turn and call away from her, that has worked in the past. I believe I will try directing my voice down if it should happen again 

Gundogger

My personal opinion is that bells impact the dogs ability to hear a hunters commands and result in hearing loss over time.  If you like using bells you might consider wrapping them in electrical tape to lower the tone, the more you wrap them the lower the tone.   By doing this you should find that your dog can hear your commands and whistle better.  Now I use my Alpha and occasionally use it with a Dogtra TB2500 in really thick cover. 

Grouse Gunner

A gps solves all these issues and takes away any other variables. 

i've used a gps for 10 years and can't imagine hunting without it.