Scar

Preferred route to NoDak

Scar

I'm leaving soon for NoDak and Google offers me three similar routes.  The westernmost is the longest and takes me through Kansas, up the western side of Nebraska through Chadron, through Rapid City, SD and up the western side of the Missouri river in ND to my destination.  It's less miles but longer which I presume means more two lane state highways.

The second (or middle) runs up US 83 through Valentine, Nebraska and west of the Missouri river in SD crossing both the Cheyenne River and Standing Rock reservations before transecting central ND to my destination.  It's the fastest but I'm uneasy about driving across the reservations.  My discomfort is not based on any negative experiences and is likely a product of my own ignorance.  

The eastern, and longest, route runs up US 83 and US 183 to near our destination in NoDak.  It is almost as fast as the middle route but runs through more, and larger, towns.

I'd appreciate any input that might help me decide which route, or routes, to take.

dogrunner

I like option 1. Probably more scenic. 

mccuha

I always opt for the fastest route. I don't worry about the miles. When I leave I'm ready to get there and when I come back I want to get back as quick as I can.

Hettmoe

I don’t know of any reason for you to be uncomfortable driving through either of those reservations. 

I think that all three of those routes will be almost entirely two lane Hiway. 

I hope you have a good trip😎

grouse28

Do not fear the reservations

SxSetter

Never any worries driving through the Reserves.  Wouldn't really notice the difference other than the signs.  The Cabela's in Mitchell SD has a ton of upland gear you don't see in the more deer and turkey states.  Kesslers in Aberdeen SD has a great meat department and a great wine and liquor selection and sells ammo too!  Worth a stop if you need to shop.

Is shopping Hotspotting a thing? 😀

Dave Quindt

Roads closed throughout the NE Sandhills due to water; check with NE DOT.  I don’t have the details but have been seeing multiple notices. 

FYI,

Dave

birdhuntervet
On 9/11/2019 at 3:12 PM, Scar said:

I'm leaving soon for NoDak and Google offers me three similar routes.  The westernmost is the longest and takes me through Kansas, up the western side of Nebraska through Chadron, through Rapid City, SD and up the western side of the Missouri river in ND to my destination.  It's less miles but longer which I presume means more two lane state highways.

The second (or middle) runs up US 83 through Valentine, Nebraska and west of the Missouri river in SD crossing both the Cheyenne River and Standing Rock reservations before transecting central ND to my destination.  It's the fastest but I'm uneasy about driving across the reservations.  My discomfort is not based on any negative experiences and is likely a product of my own ignorance.  

The eastern, and longest, route runs up US 83 and US 183 to near our destination in NoDak.  It is almost as fast as the middle route but runs through more, and larger, towns.

I'd appreciate any input that might help me decide which route, or routes, to take.

The reservations aren’t much different than the surrounding states. I’ve hunted Cheyenne River Res. Plenty of good people, a few difficult ones.