barna

Fall salmon in MI

barna

In the midst of planning a fishing (and hunting but I got the hunting part covered) weekend for the Oct.5th weekend on the Pierre Marquette near Baldwin.  We also looked at the Betsie but not sure about that.   It’s been 12 years since I fished that area and ended up just snagging every fish I had on the line.  All of them broke off and I ran out of woolly-boogers (and egg sucking leach pattern)and called it a day.

This time I would like to try to catch salmon if possible.  Looks like egg patterns is recommended in most cases, using the chuck and duck method.  Will beads provide a more natural drift?  I would also like to target some large browns that set up behind the salmon looking for stray eggs. 

I would appreciate any help, looks like there are few UJ members that live up in that direction and probably have some recent experience.  Will take a 9wt as the primary equipment, but also have a spinning rod as a backup.

Thanks,

Barna

D. Case

I use mostly eggs or green caddis, some black stone nymphs or hare's ears nymphs on the Pere Marquette in the Flies only section below  Baldwin.  Haven't used egg sucking leeches for a long time. For the browns,  very small eggs and light tippet and hope for a cloudy day. I hear the fish are running very big this year.  I have not fished the Betsy in years although I know people who do very well there. I primarily only fish the Pere Marquette for Salmon and in the fly only, catch and release water. Check you regulations on the beads, not sure they are legal there.  Going a day next week.  

barna
5 minutes ago, D. Case said:

I use mostly eggs or green caddis, some black stone nymphs or hare's ears nymphs on the Pere Marquette in the Flies only section below  Baldwin.  Haven't used egg sucking leeches for a long time. For the browns,  very small eggs and light tippet and hope for a cloudy day. I hear the fish are running very big this year.  I have not fished the Betsy in years although I know people who do very well there. I primarily only fish the Pere Marquette for Salmon and in the fly only, catch and release water. Check you regulations on the beads, not sure they are legal there.  Going a day next week.  

I heard the same thing Dave,

Inkedimage_LI.thumb.jpg.0afd9099a5160a5fb90ebe859cfecd53.jpg

Here is a friend of a friend with a nice one on the PM.  The fish was caught using skein. 

Barna

C.J.L.

I was on the Betsie Monday and fish are just showing up.  It's been raining and will continue though the weekend bringing more fish up.  Had 4 fish on and landed one.  I use a jig I tie up myself, just an orange blob really.  Rarely do they actually try to bite a lure.  Most times the line drifts into their mouth and the jig follows the line.  Fish on.  Never seen a brown in the river at this time of year.  I always figure when the steelhead are up so are a few browns.  If you want to have a good time, learn a lot and try a different river look at the Manistee.  Truly big browns, like 41 pounds big, have come from the Manistee.  

troutchops

I love the PM and have a cottage up there. I try to stay off it in the fall now, way too many bubbleheads out there snagging. The DNR will be out in full force due to past trespassing issues. Dirty little secret, for the most part salmon don't bite once they've been in the river a few days, you're just flossing them.  

Big Pine
2 hours ago, troutchops said:

I try to stay off it in the fall now, way too many bubbleheads out there snagging. The DNR will be out in full force due to past trespassing issues. Dirty little secret, for the most part salmon don't bite once they've been in the river a few days, you're just flossing them.  

I’m with troutchops on this one—the PM is wonderful, but during salmon season things can get ugly. 

If you want to give it a whirl anyway, talk to the guys at Baldwin Bait and Tackle for the inside scoop. 

C.J.L.

I thought the Betsie would be a bit high tonight but it was nice.  No fish but the dogs had fun.

20190912_172035_resized.jpg

barna

Looks like with all the rain this week the PM is running too high, we are going to the Tippy dam area on the Manistee.   

This is new territory for me, any advise?

On a side not, how far is decent grouse cover from here?  I figure that the national forest is seldom cut so I would have to look at state land. 

Barna

D. Case

Fished the PM yesterday,  about 6 inches high. Plenty of fish around though.  We fished from a drift boat. I have fished it in worse conditions several times.  As far as grouse, I hunt mostly east of I-75 so I'm not much help there. . I always see and hear grouse while steelhead fishing on the PM in the spring.

Dave Medema
On 10/3/2019 at 10:18 AM, barna said:

Looks like with all the rain this week the PM is running too high, we are going to the Tippy dam area on the Manistee.   

This is new territory for me, any advise?

On a side not, how far is decent grouse cover from here?  I figure that the national forest is seldom cut so I would have to look at state land. 

Barna

You have good cover in every direction.  National and State land should provide you with tons of good options.  

Breakfast Boy

I just spent 5 days last weekend in the eastern upper peninsula coyote hunting near our land up there.  Should have left the rifles at home and took the fly rods because the salmon were in.

barna

Ok so the rain from last week blew out the river where we wanted to fish and forced us to go to the Tippy dam and it was not pretty, lots of fish but no place to use a fly rod.  I was chucking ½ oz lead and it was ugly.  Hooked in to a few fish but they all broke my line, had 30lb mono leader with a 20 lb tippet.  The only thing that would work was the egg pattern and I was using beads.  Should have taken a spinning rod. Lots of rude people and they had no consideration of space  for the other guy next to them, even when you were there first and they just pushed their way in to your spot.   Combat fishing at its finest.    

The only bright spot was when running the dogs, since this was a new area to me I just drove until I found some young cuts and gave it a try.   The fist spot flushed 2 grouse with one makeable shot, the second spot flushed 4 grouse (a brood I am guessing) they were all together but some on the ground and some in the trees. Dogs are still young and just figuring thigs out.  Also flushed about 5 woodcock but no shots offered, resident birds I guys because they were fast.

Only hunted 2 hours Saturday and one hour Sunday morning.  I had the only vehicle and that was all I could do without abandoning the other guys all day. 

Barna   

dogrunner

A guy I know caught this one on the P. M. about 10 days ago. 

EC71C8D2-D600-4CBF-AEB0-B732D08FC4DD.jpeg

D. Case

My experience at Tippy Dam anytime I have been there.  

Geoff Roznak
6 hours ago, barna said:

Ok so the rain from last week blew out the river where we wanted to fish and forced us to go to the Tippy dam and it was not pretty, lots of fish but no place to use a fly rod.  I was chucking ½ oz lead and it was ugly.  Hooked in to a few fish but they all broke my line, had 30lb mono leader with a 20 lb tippet.  The only thing that would work was the egg pattern and I was using beads.  Should have taken a spinning rod. Lots of rude people and they had no consideration of space  for the other guy next to them, even when you were there first and they just pushed their way in to your spot.   Combat fishing at its finest.   

Sorry you had to endure that nonsense.

I've no patience for "combat fishing" and in my head, there's no fish I need to catch badly enough to endure it...