Jump to content
barna

Fall salmon in MI

Recommended Posts

Breakfast Boy

Combat fishing sucks.  I agree with Geoff in that there isn't a fish worth catching if I have to put up with crowds.  Especially the rude kind.  Sorry to hear your trip wasn't the best, but it had to beat working right?

 

In the spring some friends and I will go up to Baldwin and kayak a section of the PM to fly fish for steelhead.  The first time we did it was in rain, snow, sleet, wind, etc and there wasn't another soul on the river that entire stretch.  This year the weather was beautiful for the time of year and despite using kayaks to get to our spots, we still had a lot of other people on the river, including one jerk that got pissed because we floated through "his section of river".  I decided I prefer fishing in the nasty weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sharptail grouse
14 hours ago, D. Case said:

My experience at Tippy Dam anytime I have been there.  

Sounds like a good place to witness the "Newaygo Twitch" in action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
barna
4 hours ago, Breakfast Boy said:

Combat fishing sucks.  I agree with Geoff in that there isn't a fish worth catching if I have to put up with crowds.  Especially the rude kind.  Sorry to hear your trip wasn't the best, but it had to beat working right?

 

In the spring some friends and I will go up to Baldwin and kayak a section of the PM to fly fish for steelhead.  The first time we did it was in rain, snow, sleet, wind, etc and there wasn't another soul on the river that entire stretch.  This year the weather was beautiful for the time of year and despite using kayaks to get to our spots, we still had a lot of other people on the river, including one jerk that got pissed because we floated through "his section of river".  I decided I prefer fishing in the nasty weather.

Yes it was better than working, my friend who set up this trip is working in campus ministry and has very limited time to get away for a weekend in the fall.  This date was all we can do this year.  I would have waited until the water level dropped and or gone earlier, but unfortunately the weather didn’t listen to our plans.

 

Barna  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Breakfast Boy
7 hours ago, barna said:

Yes it was better than working, my friend who set up this trip is working in campus ministry and has very limited time to get away for a weekend in the fall.  This date was all we can do this year.  I would have waited until the water level dropped and or gone earlier, but unfortunately the weather didn’t listen to our plans.

 

Barna  

 

Understandable.  So very many of my trips happen when the fishing or hunting isn't at its best but it's when I could make it happen, so that's better than not going at all.  Sometimes the highlight of the trip is just being there and time with friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff Roznak
On 10/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, Breakfast Boy said:

 

Understandable.  So very many of my trips happen when the fishing or hunting isn't at its best but it's when I could make it happen, so that's better than not going at all.  Sometimes the highlight of the trip is just being there and time with friends.

Being with friends is always better than having great hunting or fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SelbyLowndes

Honest question from pure ignorance,  are there atlantic salmon in the great lakes, or just the pacific varieties?...SelbyLowndes  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
D. Case

Yes there are a few places where Atlantic's have been planted.  There are small fisheries in a couple rivers, best known is the St. Mary's River in Sault Ste Marie,  not sure if the fish are Canadian or American. They, for the most part, have not done well where planted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike da Carpenter

My understanding is that 90% of the Atlantic Salmon caught on the St Mary’s river are collected from spawning fish by Lake Superior State University’s research lab that is located right on the St Mary river.  If it wasn’t for LSSU there probably wouldn’t be any Atlantic’s in the system.


LSSU takes a select # of male and female salmon to get a certain # of their eggs and sperm then raise the fish till it is time to release them.  Release happens in the evening due to all the birds in the area that will swoop in for an easy meal.

 

I never would have normally known any of this info, but our oldest son wants to attend LSSU once he graduates (for Fisheries and Wildlife Management) so we went to LSSU this past spring on a tour and made sure to spend quite a bit of time at their fish research lab.  Pretty interesting stuff.

 

I’d highly recommend anyone visiting the Soo contact LSSU and ask to get a tour of their fish research station.  You won’t regret it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MNice

Here's a segment from a local fishing show that covers the Atlantic Salmon. All of Grant's shows are excellent if you like to fish the Great Lakes.

 

Atlantic Salmon - Superior Angling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SelbyLowndes

Thank you for the answers to my atlantic salmon question. Perhaps when the stocked and hatchery raised fish reach a critical mass, they will become self sustaining in the Great Lakes...SelbyLowndes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×