topdog1961

At what age did you first fail the BMV eye exam?

topdog1961

The eyeglass thread reminded me. Drivers licenses expire every 3 years in Ohio, and mine expire in two weeks on my 58th birthday. The last time I barely passed the eye exam without my glasses, and thus avoided being restricted to driving with them, though I usually do. I really should have failed, but the BMV agent gave me a couple do overs. I’m anxious to see if I can still pass it this time. But I doubt it, none of my other body parts seem to have held its ground over the past 3 years. 

At what age were you restricted to driving with glasses, if you are?

Clueless1

When I got my license on my 16th birthday.  Been wearing glasses/contacts since 4th grade.

MNice

I used to close my eyes tightly until asked to read the line. That would allow my eyes to focus, if only for a millisecond. I quit try years ago.

Rogue Hunter

This was on my mind the last time I renewed...currently use "cheaters" to read. I went down to the BMV a month prier and explained to the clerk that I wanted to know if I would need glasses. She said "sure", a lot of people do the same. When you go renew, go in the A.M., your eyes will be clear and better able to focus.

kgb

Didn't fail it but needed glasses to pass at age 26. I'd just gotten them, used intermittently and fortunately took them along to the exam.  This was in Germany and the depth perception test was where they came into play.

Rockdoc

I'm 72 and can still pass the driver exam eye test without glasses (knock on wood!).

Steve

bigdog MN

Needed them since was 16 years old. Figured out eye site was poor when practice driving, others could read road signs way before I could make them out.

dogrunner

Haven't yet, also don't read stuff off your cell phone prior to go getting your test, it messes with your eyes. 

MSchafer

passed it last year at 56 without much trouble, 

apachecadillac

After cataract surgery I passed the vision exam without glasses for the first time in my life several months ago.  I wore glasses from age 8 on, severe myopia, and every driver's license I ever had carried a restriction.  Then, cataracts, replaced the lenses in both eyes, and now I really only need glasses for reading.  But, strong reading glasses.

Kinda odd to go the other way.

Rick Hall

When you say "3" and the gal says "E," just say "E".  Don't argue the point.

RuffChaser
16 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

The eyeglass thread reminded me. Drivers licenses expire every 3 years in Ohio, and mine expire in two weeks on my 58th birthday. The last time I barely passed the eye exam without my glasses, and thus avoided being restricted to driving with them, though I usually do. I really should have failed, but the BMV agent gave me a couple do overs. I’m anxious to see if I can still pass it this time. But I doubt it, none of my other body parts seem to have held its ground over the past 3 years. 

At what age were you restricted to driving with glasses, if you are?

I never failed my eye exam but I did notice things at a distance were getting blurry. I got glasses before I failed my test just because I noticed a sign at night looked a little blurry. I really only need mine for distance. I work mostly in front of a computer all day so I take them off when I get to work and don't need them until I leave or go to a meeting where something will be projected. I got glasses in my late 40s. When I was in my early 20s I had 20/15 vision. The only good thing was I felt a little better for missing some of them grouse I shot at before I got the glasses. The bad part is I still miss more than I should😒

rideold

I drove for 30 years wearing glasses and not failing the eye test.  Not that I didn't wear my glasses every day.  I would walk into the DMV and they'd ask if I wanted to take the test with or without my glasses and I would somehow pass without them on.  Go figure.  Now I have the restriction on my license because I had to start wearing contacts instead of glasses and it was too much of a pain to take the contacts out to take the test :)  

Bloodhound

Got glasses at 23, and stalled off the need for them to drive to 28...since then its glasses or contacts

paul frey

I haven’t yet. 55 years old... but it’s coming!