Dogwood

Uh oh

vabirddog
11 hours ago, Korthaar said:

Yes, it's an estimate. Maybe more. No matter if it's 3 billion or 1 billion, it's too much. Meanwhile, rollbacks. A total of 85 completed or in the works. Migratory bird treaties, water quality regs, endangered species law weakened, state and national parks/lands opened for commerce.  A little bleak for the conservation minded.

In many instances we swung way to far. Big difference in protectionism and conservation. The eastern National Forest is a prime example of protectionism at the expense of sound stewardship.   Habitats lost, basically turning the forests into retirement homes for trees. 

Peent
22 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Would have been nice had the article mentioned DU initiatives to increase waterfowl habitat hence the improved population of ducks/geese.  And in a broader sense the mutually beneficial relationship between hunting/conservation initiatives/habitat for all critters.  

I know, I know. That's a stretch for the NY Times.

How about Scientific American then?  Definitely gets mentioned here.  Scientific American Article  I work with Ken Rosenberg who is the lead author of this study.  We were aware of this data over a year ago but waited for a long time do get the data published.  I sincerely hope it gets more mainstream media attention.  

Brad Eden
9 minutes ago, Peent said:

Decline of North American Avifauna

Link to the actual study if anyone is interested.  

Nice clean lookin and understandable link!

Peent
7 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Nice clean lookin and understandable link!

It’s easy to do.  Right there in the toolbox. 

sharptail grouse
15 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

On the other hand, migratory waterfowl are doing just fine.  If there were a season on warblers maybe we'd take better care of them...SelbyLowndes

Some waterfowl are. Scaup and I believe bluewing teal and pintail numbers are way down from historic numbers.

Big Al

I've been working on my shelter belts the last couple of days and was amazed at the number of song birds that are in them.  I was wondering as I was chugging along on the tractor if those birds would  even exist if the belts weren't there?  

Then I look over on the neighbor's property and see the wind turbine farm and wonder how many birds don't exist because those monstrosities are there?

sharptail grouse
Just now, Big Al said:

I've been working on my shelter belts the last couple of days and was amazed at the number of song birds that are in them.  I was wondering as I was chugging along on the tractor if those birds would  even exist if the belts weren't there?  

Then I look over on the neighbor's property and see the wind turbine farm and wonder how many birds don't exist because those monstrosities are there?

You are likely seeing the warbler/sparrow migration - its at its peak right now. The sparrows are probably mostly grassland/shrub steppe species - there are lots of them right now because the fledged broods are gathering to migrate. The warblers historically used cottonwood/willow bottoms and farther east hardwood draws. They often migrate at night and drop into the woody stuff to forage and rest thru the day. If you hit a peak night with a full moon and are patient you can see migrating flocks pass across the face of the moon. You may also be seeing an uptick in smaller bird eating hawks - sharp shins and merlins - that follow the banquet south. They will all happily use your shelter belts in place of native woody cover. I see a lot of them around town this time of year.

Peent
4 hours ago, Big Al said:

Are you cutting your shelter-belts like I've seen all over western ND and eastern Montana the last few years or are you mowing?  

Big Al
36 minutes ago, Peent said:

Are you cutting your shelter-belts like I've seen all over western ND and eastern Montana the last few years or are you mowing?  

Weed control.  Weeds took advantage of all the moisture we had this year.