Sign in to follow this  
sharptail grouse

California quail for training?

sharptail grouse

We are starting to get some sightings of California (valley) quail locally - I saw one yesterday. Has anyone ever heard of this species being used for training or is it mostly a bobwhite thing? They are well established in Western MT.

Probably escapees. I have hard time believing they could survive our winters, but.......

Cheesy

I have no answer to your question.  I was working in Northeastern Utah a few weeks ago and my buddy out there said they've recently been seeing a lot of them, and they didn't have them 20 years ago.

SelbyLowndes

Are they even available for training/put and take shooting?  I've never seen one in GA...SelbyLowndes

sharptail grouse
9 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Are they even available for training/put and take shooting?  I've never seen one in GA...SelbyLowndes

I've found websites that championed them as domestics for consumption. I have just never heard of trainers using them, but it seemed plausible. We don't have any put/take shooting around here. The nearest I know of is well over an hour away and they have pheasants and chukars I think.

I'm hoping for once that I'll have a new invasive to manage...sort of 😉

MTRookie76

I’ve never heard of California quail for training but I have heard of a valley in MT with a healthy CA quail population.

C.J.L.

How do you know they where California quail? Were they having a latte at a sidewalk cafe in Bozeman at 11am on a Sunday wearing a big brim hat, sunglasses, hiking boots and a bandana around their neck?  

sharptail grouse
12 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

How do you know they where California quail? Were they having a latte at a sidewalk cafe in Bozeman at 11am on a Sunday wearing a big brim hat, sunglasses, hiking boots and a bandana around their neck?  

Yes

sharptail grouse
35 minutes ago, MTRookie76 said:

I’ve never heard of California quail for training but I have heard of a valley in MT with a healthy CA quail population.

Yep. Its making me wonder how they got across the Divide. Seems fairly daunting without some help.

Talon1

I've seen them north of here in areas that were pretty high in elevation, with a lot of snow in the winter. They seem to be doing okay.

Randy S

"Under Montana law, birds are protected unless they are designated as a game bird, which California valley quail are not. Until that designation is changed, there is no legal hunting season or captive rearing, allowing for their possession in Montana." So I guess they don't want you using them for dog training. 

Apparantly they're established in the Bitterroot Valley. The theory is a resident transplanted them. 

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Randy S said:

"Under Montana law, birds are protected unless they are designated as a game bird, which California valley quail are not. Until that designation is changed, there is no legal hunting season or captive rearing, allowing for their possession in Montana." So I guess they don't want you using them for dog training. 

Apparantly they're established in the Bitterroot Valley. The theory is a resident transplanted them. 

The Bitterroot Valley is more like Idaho than it is like MT east of the Divide. The average temp here last Feb was .03 F . That just seems pretty cold for quail, but then again I don't know much at all about valley quail. I don't like invasive species, but I could think of worse invasive creatures than valley quail 😉.

shoot-straight

Huey Lewis brought them