MAArcher

How many miles do you expect out of a vehicle?

MAArcher

Seems like in the early 70's a car was junker after 50k or so.  

Then 80's and 90's that grew to 100k.  

Now I'm seeing used vehicles with 150k+ that still sell for what seems like crazy prices.

Specifically, I'm considering a used Yukon/Tahoe to replace my 2000 diesel Excursion with 240k and a transmission that just crapped out.  How many miles would you expect a mid 2000's Yukon to go?  I've seen a few early 2000's for sale with 300k miles on them.  Is it rare for them to make it that far?

I'd like to spend $10k for a used full size crewcab truck or SUV that I could reasonably expect to get 100k miles out of.  

mikegillam

I look for  more modern vehicle to get 200,000 miles, assuming maintenance has been kept current. I have a ‘14 Tundra, with 186,000, and am starting to look around. I just returned from an Ohio to Arizona trip, and while it ran well, I think after 200k, things start to happen. Breaking down in west Texas on our next trip, would not make my wife (or me) happy.

406dn

I remember my father getting >100k miles out of the family car back in the sixties. So maybe we have a different idea of what a junker is. We inherited my mother in laws 94 Cadillac after she passed. It had 120k miles on it when we got it. We junked it when it had 230k miles.

A 95 Suburban we had something like 175k miles on it when I sold it to a friend for his son. His son drove it a few more years. 

I've got a 05 Chevy Duramax that has >260k miles on it. It still runs great.

So,,, I think a well maintained car with 150k miles on it has another 100k miles in it. 

Dave Erickson

200K+

My last two Nissan trucks went well over 200K and were running decently strong when I traded them. We'll see how this Tacoma fares.

My wife's last Toyota had 330K when I totaled it.

bigdog MN

Cousin owns a garage and also sells about 300 used vehicles/yr.  The 5.3L engine in the early to mid-2000 models he said to expect 250-300K.  My 2004 Tahoe has 218K and does not use oil. He said its a better engine than the ones with the fuel Mgmt program they added in I think 2007/2008.

Zkight89

My last two F150's had over 250,000 miles on them. The '97 was still running strong at 270,000 when I totaled it. The next one an 07 had right around 250,000 on it when I traded it in, likely still going, somewhere. 

C.J.L.
11 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

My last two Nissan trucks went well over 200K and were running decently strong when I traded them. We'll see how this Tacoma fares.

To add the what Dave said, I think the Titan in the best value out here.  If $10K is your budget you'll get more for your money with a Titan.  I've had 5 and the next truck will be another.  

GLS

My in-laws drove Chevys back in the 1960-70s for over 200,000 miles.  This was in the day of a diligent full service gas station in a small country town.   "Mr. Jim/ Mrs. Louise, it's time to change your oil" which was done right on schedule.  Gil

MAArcher
36 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

To add the what Dave said, I think the Titan in the best value out here.  If $10K is your budget you'll get more for your money with a Titan.  I've had 5 and the next truck will be another.  

$10k isn’t really a budget, just the metric.  If I spent $20k I’d expect 200k miles.   But that seems to diminish the newer the truck.  It’s harder to find a truck with 50k miles for $20k that will go to 250 miles than it is to find a truck with 150k miles for $10k that will go another 100k miles. 

Samuel Hoggson

Both 7.3 diesel engines were still perfect when I got rid of the trucks they pulled.  Around 300k mi each.  The '01 is still running.

2.3L 4 cyl Ranger was just under 200k when it left me last month. 

Avg less than 15k miles/annum now.  See no reason why the F250 w/6.2 gasser couldn't last 20 years. 

Am told nitrocarburizing was a game changer re engine longevity. 

Larry Brown
53 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

200K+

My wife's last Toyota had 330K when I totaled it.

Dave, I traded for a new Tacoma last December.  So far I like it . . . except for the fact that I was amazed to discover that it does not have intermittent wipers.  Even my 2011 Ranger, which I traded not much short of 200K, had intermittent wipers . . . but crank windows!  The reason I went with a Tacoma was because I could get a 2019 with fewer accessories for less money than a left over 2018 Colorado . . . all of which had a bunch of options I didn't want anyhow.

UplandHntr

The longest I went with a vehicle was my 2001 Z71 Suburban. 265,000 miles.  Great vehicle. Sold it for $3500 and it was being driven to Mexico the following day. Or at least that was the plan. The front wheel bearings may have changed those plans

gunsrus

The "grousemobile" '99 Tahoe 2 door I bought two years ago had 125,00 . Currently 165,000. No leaks , still has great compression . I expect 300,000 out of it . 

Dave Erickson
50 minutes ago, Larry Brown said:

Dave, I traded for a new Tacoma last December.  So far I like it . . . except for the fact that I was amazed to discover that it does not have intermittent wipers.  Even my 2011 Ranger, which I traded not much short of 200K, had intermittent wipers . . . but crank windows!  The reason I went with a Tacoma was because I could get a 2019 with fewer accessories for less money than a left over 2018 Colorado . . . all of which had a bunch of options I didn't want anyhow.

My SR5 has the intermittent wipers. Shame on Toyota for leaving that feature off the base model!

mccuha

I will think about getting a new ride after 300,000.  I tend to drive them until the wheels fall off.