erik meade

Why is someone buying grouse tails?

erik meade

I see an add in the Ruffed Grouse Society magazine that a person is wanting to purchase red phase grouse tails for $3 each. 

Any idea what they are doing with them?

tying fishing flies?

Just curious

Brad Eden

Interesting. No idea why. They are a personal memento for me. Out of curiosity I searched "buying ruffed grouse tail fans" and was surprised to see a load being sold on Etsy. I shoot mostly gray phase or a cross between brown and gray. Rarely a true red phase up here.

Dave in Maine

Tails aren't really that good for flytying.  The web isn't "right" for making cut wings - they'll collapse - you can't marry them worth a darn (and the fibers are too short for proper salmon flies) and they don't make good wingcases on nymphs, either.  You want the hackles, and some of the body feathers.  Actually, I prefer Hungarian partridge body feathers for soft-hackles as do many tyers.  The patterning is more defined.  Ruffed grouse body feathers - off the back -  kinda just turn brown in the water, and the flank and breast feathers have fibers that are too long for the average trout fly.

If men still wore formal hats - the kind with hatbands and a couple small feathers in the hatband - the black ruff feathers (instead of dyed chicken feathers) would be a nice secret code signal to other grouse hunters that You Are One Of The Brethren.  Team a ruff feather or two with a golden pheasant tippet or a jungle cock eye (or both) and it would be clear you're also a flyrodder, and probably hunt with a sxs, 16 ga or imported English.

I would suspect it's for some kind of art project.

erik meade
55 minutes ago, Dave in Maine said:

You mean like this kind of thing?

a77203510d001b3d26e4e7914b7ba321.jpg

mccuha

I’m really surprised you can sell them.  I thought selling wild game, even body parts was illegal 

Brad Eden
23 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I’m really surprised you can sell them.  I thought selling wild game, even body parts was illegal 

I was thinking the same thing. I know it's a serious no no to even possess a Raptors toenail without special permits. Apparently doesn't apply to ruffed grouse feathers. 

mccuha
26 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I was thinking the same thing. I know it's a serious no no to even possess a Raptors toenail without special permits. Apparently doesn't apply to ruffed grouse feathers. 

Might explain why their no.s are misteriously falling   People are harvesting them for the black market. Who would have ever guessed. Maybe they’re  used fo medicinal pourposes in some third world country

Treerooster
38 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Migratory birds are illegal to sell feathers or even mounted specimens. Other game birds it's up to the individual states whether you could sell their feathers or mounts.

Brad Eden

I have two 15 inch fans. One a brown and the other gray. Full half circle dried fans. $250 each or both for $475. Throw in another $25 for one or $50 for both and I'll include UJ Grouse Tail Plaques made by Member Scooter Brown...

mccuha

I may have to see what I can get for all those turkey spurs and pheasant spurs.  I new I wanted to keep them for some reason😜

erik meade
4 hours ago, mccuha said:

I thought selling wild game, even body parts was illegal 

Why do you think people trap Coon, Coyotes, Fox, Mink, Beaver, etc. ?  $$$

I almost want to contact the guy with the ad, just to find out what he is doing with the feathers.

mccuha
2 minutes ago, erik meade said:

Why do you think people trap Coon, Coyotes, Fox, Mink, Beaver, etc. ?  $$$

I almost want to contact the guy with the ad, just to find out what he is doing with the feathers.

That is true but  the license says you can sell the hide of them.  I’ll tell you this though. Get caught selling the meat and see what happens.  That’s illegal atleast where I live

Field Grade

Girls are probably putting the single feathers in their hair...girls or Steve Tyler. Or both.

Remember that fad a few years ago, where rock stars were braiding long rooster 'saddle' feathers into their hairdos and it became a big thing everywhere...if you are a flytyer like me you know dry fly hackle prices shot through the roof as the hackle dealers started selling their stock to hair salons. Flytyers were left in the cold.

If I had a brain in my head at the time I would have sold my rooster saddles and dry fly capes to the highest bidder for a tidy profit but I could not bring myself to do it. I don't think I could sell grouse fans either, too much goes into each one.

john mcg
On 9/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, Dave in Maine said:

Tails aren't really that good for flytying.  The web isn't "right" for making cut wings - they'll collapse - you can't marry them worth a darn (and the fibers are too short for proper salmon flies) and they don't make good wingcases on nymphs, either.  You want the hackles, and some of the body feathers.  Actually, I prefer Hungarian partridge body feathers for soft-hackles as do many tyers.  The patterning is more defined.  Ruffed grouse body feathers - off the back -  kinda just turn brown in the water, and the flank and breast feathers have fibers that are too long for the average trout fly.

If men still wore formal hats - the kind with hatbands and a couple small feathers in the hatband - the black ruff feathers (instead of dyed chicken feathers) would be a nice secret code signal to other grouse hunters that You Are One Of The Brethren.  Team a ruff feather or two with a golden pheasant tippet or a jungle cock eye (or both) and it would be clear you're also a flyrodder, and probably hunt with a sxs, 16 ga or imported English.

The tail feather of a young of the year Ruff can be used for a soft-hackle wet fly.

I find no fault in the rest of your assertions.

IMG_7188.thumb.jpeg.648670f6f992757987a258d06ff0627e.jpeg

Dave in Maine
4 hours ago, Field Grade said:

Girls are probably putting the single feathers in their hair...girls or Steve Tyler. Or both.

Remember that fad a few years ago, where rock stars were braiding long rooster 'saddle' feathers into their hairdos and it became a big thing everywhere...if you are a flytyer like me you know dry fly hackle prices shot through the roof as the hackle dealers started selling their stock to hair salons. Flytyers were left in the cold.

If I had a brain in my head at the time I would have sold my rooster saddles and dry fly capes to the highest bidder for a tidy profit but I could not bring myself to do it. I don't think I could sell grouse fans either, too much goes into each one.

One of my neighbors at that time was (still is) a makeup artist for actresses in TV and movies.  She tried to snooker me out of my hackles.  Didn't work, though.