Dogwood

DISH network high speed internet quality including wifi ??

Dogwood

Considering moving to a home with no cable access and somewhat weak cell coverage so a wifi hotspot might not be viable, hence the inquiry.

mccuha

We re in that boat.  We’ve had dish since we moved here 20 yrs ago.  No real complaints except when they drop or block a few of your most viewed channels because they don’t want to pay to play when the channel provider wants to negotiate contracts.  But direct has the same problem. We’ve missed the braves games for close to 2 months due to them in dispute    They did bring back fox but it was only because they were going to loose a ton of money not carrying pro football.  

Brad Eden

We are very lucky to have DSL on our unimproved dirt town road. We have a measly 7 mpbs...not kidding. It was an issue when I was working the commercial art/design deal when emailing, loading and uploading huge design files. But right now it's remarkable what we can do using the wi fi. Rarely a problem streaming TV shows, movies and capable of allowing me to run this Board. I'm getting to your question...

My immediate neighbor for reasons I don't quite understand had Satellite Internet put in about two weeks ago (Hughes Net up here). He hates it, and is probably gonna go back to the phone line DSL. I can't think of anyone I know who had or has satellite internet that was happy with it. It's the only alternative for a lot of out of the way locations so I guess it is better than nothing.

Othere mileage will likely vary, just what I know.

Dogwood
30 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

We are very lucky to have DSL on our unimproved dirt town road. We have a measly 7 mpbs...not kidding. It was an issue when I was working the commercial art/design deal when emailing, loading and uploading huge design files. But right now it's remarkable what we can do using the wi fi. Rarely a problem streaming TV shows, movies and capable of allowing me to run this Board. I'm getting to your question...

My immediate neighbor for reasons I don't quite understand had Satellite Internet put in about two weeks ago (Hughes Net up here). He hates it, and is probably gonna go back to the phone line DSL. I can't think of anyone I know who had or has satellite internet that was happy with it. It's the only alternative for a lot of out of the way locations so I guess it is better than nothing.

Pretty sure DSL is available; it's got a phone cable after all.  Curious which brand of wireless router do you use?

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Pretty sure DSL is available; it's got a phone cable after all.  Curious which brand of wireless router do you use?

Yes DSL comes to house via the land line/phone line. We haven't had a land line phone for years. We pay $52 a month for the DSL Internet. If you can get DSL, I would do that rather than any satellite option. JMO

Just looked at router. It's a ZyXEL router that was sent to us by provider. It plugs into electric outlet but provides wireless wi fi. You can plug a computer right into, it but we never have. Just use wi if for all sorts of devices; desktops, laptops, iPads and iPhones. When the girls and significant others are visiting we have had as many as 6 people sucking off the wi fi with no issues. 

Dogwood
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Yes DSL comes to house via the land line/phone line. We haven't had a land line phone for years. We pay $52 a month for the DSL Internet. If you can get DSL, I would do that rather than any satellite option. JMO

Just looked at router. It's a ZyXEL router that was sent to us by provider. It plugs into electric outlet but provides wireless wi fi. You can plug a computer right into, it but we never have. Just use wi if for all sorts of devices; desktops, laptops, iPads and iPhones. When the girls and significant others are visiting we have had as many as 6 people sucking off the wi fi with no issues. 

Excellent thanks

max2
17 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Considering moving to a home with no cable access and somewhat weak cell coverage so a wifi hotspot might not be viable, hence the inquiry.

Doc ~ I would ride around the area and knock on doors and see what the folks are using in that area. I just went through heck with internet service.  & I don't consider myself a heavy user but we have become dependent on having internet and when it's down ya tend to feel it. I had satellite service once and it was pretty bad. Expensive and rain, snow or clouds could shut it down. You had to sign a three yr contract I think ? and pay for any tech support calls.Rural living -they get ya.

OKhunter
On 9/22/2019 at 3:11 PM, Brad Eden said:

7mpbs!!! Must be nice, I live 5 miles outside of Bentonville, AR (Home of Wal-Mart) and I can only get 3mpbs.  I was told last week that I am 1000ft from being able to get 6mpbs.  I have been impressed how well we can stream movies on 3mpbs, but if the wife and I are both working it doesn't work as well.

Brad Eden
38 minutes ago, OKhunter said:

7mpbs!!! Must be nice, I live 5 miles outside of Bentonville, AR (Home of Wal-Mart) and I can only get 3mpbs.  I was told last week that I am 1000ft from being able to get 6mpbs.  I have been impressed how well we can stream movies on 3mpbs, but if the wife and I are both working it doesn't work as well.

I feel your broadband pain...we had 3mpps for years at old the place and the first couple years here at the new place. We started living large when they offered the upgrade to 7mbps! We actually did OK on 3...I'm not sure all the others out there realize how slow 3-7mbps is compared to most speeds. The average speed across the US is 93mbps...

If anyone is wondering what speed that actually have, here is a nifty speed test website: https://fast.com/

Speeds will vary minute to minute depending on DSL, cable, usage etc. mine is a whopping 5.5 just now!

Jim Vander

FWIW keep or get the dsl if you can the residential sat connectivity is old repurposed technology. If you have no other option and have a choice between viasat and Hughes I would suggest viasat they have more licensed channels. Not an endorsement by any means but I’m in the non residential sat business and have visibility into the spacecraft portion of the equation. The upcoming options from Musk and Amazon are promising but at least a year out.

airmedic1

We have high speed internet through Viaero.  I must have internet service for my work and the wine is addicted to Facebook so we got rid of Dish and now stream our tv using Amazon Fire sticks and Roku's. We have a small antenna on the side of the house and get between 9 and 10 Mbps.  It's unlimited and we are happy with it. It's about $50 per month plus what we spend for tv but it was still cheaper than just the Dish TV.  I haven't heard good things about Dish's internet around where we live, it might be better other places.  Quite a few people use Comcast but I know nothing about it.

salmontogue
8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I feel your broadband pain...we had 3mpps for years at old the place and the first couple years here at the new place. We started living large when they offered the upgrade to 7mbps! We actually did OK on 3...I'm not sure all the others out there realize how slow 3-7mbps is compared to most speeds. The average speed across the US is 93mbps...

If anyone is wondering what speed that actually have, here is a nifty speed test website: https://fast.com/

Speeds will vary minute to minute depending on DSL, cable, usage etc. mine is a whopping 5.5 just now!

Also try Ookla speedtest

salmontogue

Internet in Northern Maine is a challenge.  First we used Verizon which was trouble because the phone cables were very old  leaky and the 512 cable pairs were nearly 50% non-functional.  Next we used HughesNet which was slow, unreliable and expensive.  Next we transitioned to Pioneer Broadband all fiber optic which was wonderful until the company fell on hard financial times.  Currently, we use US Cellular wireless which works extremely well.  An advantage is the ability to move the wireless router (wireless in and wireless out) to any location with reception.  Since the departure of Verizon from Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, US Cellular has been erecting towers very quickly in an effort to expand market share.  In this area, they are currently the best choice but there are still many non-coverage areas...not surprising when the average humans per square mile in Washington County is just a tad over nine.  This area is the edge of the outback, thousands of square miles of uninhabited sportsman's paradise.

salmontogue

Just ran speed test.  26.42 down, 20.30 up.  Incredible for the middle of nowhere but the nearest tower (not visible) is only one mile distant in Big Lake Township.  That is wonderful but there is only sporadic reception at the lake.

Brad Eden

True story. As someone mentioned, US Cellular has and is grabbing the Maine market as far as cell coverage. That's what we have. I was on a bear hunt way the hell up in northern Maine quite a few years back. Very remote area and camp. I was the guest of the owner of a wildlife call company (I did their ad and packaging and trade show design and marketing) and one of their Sponsors was there as well, deer celeb Roger Raglin and his son, and a few other guys. It was the usual all guy bear camp, lots of posturing and "toxic" masculinity. We were gathered around a fire drinking beer and scotch and all the guys were expressing and guffawing on how great it was that they couldn't get any coverage on their cell phones, so didn't need to call and deal with their wives at home. That was until I took out my cell phone and had coverage. When I mentioned this all the tough rough bear hunters were scrambling to borrow my phone for the rest of the trip so they could call their wives....