Sign in to follow this  
tut

Pro-550 plus holder???

tut

Need some ideas.  Just ordered the unit and the only holder they have hangs off the belt and that doesn't work for plowing thru brush for sure.  FWIW, the standard Pro-550 holster won't work because it covers the screen.  Let me know ASAP please.   Thanks folks. 

EllieGSP

tut - Let me know what you find.  I recent upgraded to try the combo 550+ unit and would like to sling over the shoulder like older 500 series units.  I have not found any nylon based holsters, only leather like you mention.  I did just order a cheap 20 dollar nylon holster for the 550 which I plan to try to cut up, modify and sew to fit the slightly longer 550+ with a screen opening. - b

tut
1 minute ago, Wet Dog said:

I saw that one.  I called Lion Country and they said a few folks had already lost one of the Pro-550 Plus from that holster because it hangs on the hip and is subject to lots of yanking and pulling when going thru the Brush.   Looking for something that hooks in the chest/vest area. 

BIRDDOG 307

I have the same complaint and said the same thing about the holster that they have . It makes a lot more sense to have just a nylon holster with belt loop that could be attached to your chest strap on your vest and have your lanyard as a safety. By the way I really like the 550+ paired with instinct watch and only need to pull the transmitter in training situation.

Birddog 307 

Cooter Brown
45 minutes ago, BIRDDOG 307 said:

I have the same complaint and said the same thing about the holster that they have . It makes a lot more sense to have just a nylon holster with belt loop that could be attached to your chest strap on your vest and have your lanyard as a safety. By the way I really like the 550+ paired with instinct watch and only need to pull the transmitter in training situation.

Birddog 307 

Glad to see you're liking the Instinct, Allen.  It's a nice tool.

I have a leather holster for the old style Tri Tronics transmitters like the Pro 70.  It's a Boyt so it's nice quality.  It would need to be modified to see the screen on the 550.  If anybody wants it it's free to a good home.

BIRDDOG 307

Cooter that is what I am using now but find it a little heavy and would rather have nylon when they come out.

Allen

tut

Well I bought the below.  Called them and they said they had sold over a 100 thus far to the Pro 550 plus crowd.  With what the 550 Plus costs I can't afford to lose it and as the old saying goes, you only pay once for quality.  Will give a report when it get here and see if it gets the UJ seal of approval.  PS.  I ordered the Stainless Steel Hardware instead of Brass as it know its going to get wet PDQ while hunting this fall. 

DSC_0591-2.jpg

EllieGSP

The prototype is done.   Took a nylon 550 holster, lengthen the button strap, opened the bottom a little for the square design of the 550 plus, and cut a window in the front.  The hardest part was trying to sew the bias tape around the square window cutout to make it look professional, not perfect but a good start:-)  A tether piece of cord was added inside which attaches from the unit to the 1 inch waist strap as a backup until some miles can be put on it under use.   I would hate to lose it.....

Hopefully they will start producing something like this in the future. -b

Hunt - Garmin 550plus - 002_1.jpg

Hunt - Garmin 550plus - 004_1.jpg

Hunt - Garmin 550plus - 007_1.jpg

tut
57 minutes ago, EllieGSP said:

The prototype is done.   Took a nylon 550 holster, lengthen the button strap, opened the bottom a little for the square design of the 550 plus, and cut a window in the front.  The hardest part was trying to sew the bias tape around the square window cutout to make it look professional, not perfect but a good start:-)  A tether piece of cord was added inside which attaches from the unit to the 1 inch waist strap as a backup until some miles can be put on it under use.   I would hate to lose it.....

Hopefully they will start producing something like this in the future. -b

Hunt - Garmin 550plus - 002_1.jpg

Hunt - Garmin 550plus - 004_1.jpg

Hunt - Garmin 550plus - 007_1.jpg

Looks good.  I got the one I showed photos of above and it is indeed really really nice and well made.  Not sure its worth what I paid for it, but it is indeed something that appears made well enough to last for years. 

BIRDDOG 307

Yes Ellie that is the one that is needed!!!!

Birddog 307