Wisconsin

WI SHORTENED GROUSE SEASON SET

caleb

Did anyone here get a survey from the WI DNR about season length?

Hub

This is a real bummer.  I used to spend a lot of time and money chasing late season Wisconsin grouse.  Last year was the first time in 20 some years I didn't buy an out of state license.  I probably won't buy one this year either.  I basically I hunted Wisconsin to avoid the Minnesota Deer Season and then again in late January.  Now I don't get enough value from the license to to make the purchase.  I guess it's back to the Dakota's and Kansas for me.  Hopefully the WDNR is happy with the situation they create for themselves and don't keep asking stupid questions like, "Why are license sales and hunter numbers declining?".  

mister grouse

Ohio did the late season removal years ago--no positive population changes resulted.  Kentucky recently  sent out a questionnaire that suggest the removal of the February season and I suspect it too will be eliminated.   In the Ky survey there  is commentary that says there is no known benefit from other states eliminating the late  season but the question and check the box option  is still there , incredibly .

Treerooster
On 9/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, caleb said:

Did anyone here get a survey from the WI DNR about season length?

I got a survey last winter from Wis on grouse. I can't remember all the questions but I am pretty sure there was some on season length. It was a fairly long survey and I think I may have even posted on here about it. I don't remember if I started a thread on it or posted to someone else's thread. I would do a search but I have yet to figure how to search for anything successfully on this board.

The whole survey was about grouse and the management of it, past present and future if I remember right. It was like a booklet or pamphlet with several pages.

I am a non-resident and have hunted Wis for almost 40 years but I don't think my status had anything to do with me getting the survey.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Treerooster

Ok...I got home and looked through some papers. Found the letter that came with the survey. Took a pic of it and hopefully you can read it.

1914451388_Wis2019GrouseSurveyletterResized.thumb.JPG.548ee0f71b98cc6ceeddce77263b0267.JPG

PS...I am no longer sorry I couldn't be of more help. This should be pretty helpful. 😊

Brad Eden
57 minutes ago, Treerooster said:

I would do a search but I have yet to figure how to search for anything successfully on this board.

Surprised to hear that. For something you specifically posted try going to your Profile and click See My Activity. You will get all your activity since the beginning of your Membership. Go to pages from last winter and you may find what you are looking for.  

FWIW I did search "Survey" in titles and bodies of Topics in Birddogs & Hunting and came up with a load of applicable Topics but none about WI from last winter 2018.

Treerooster
3 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Surprised to hear that. For something you specifically posted try going to your Profile and click See My Activity. You will get all your activity since the beginning of your Membership. Go to pages from last winter and you may find what you are looking for.  

FWIW I did search "Survey" in titles and bodies of Topics in Birddogs & Hunting and came up with a load of applicable Topics but none about WI from last winter 2018.

I fully admit to not being adept at computers. I have done what you suggested a time or 2 and it is labor intensive, especially when I don't know the title of the thread, or exact time I am looking for, or even which forum. I know I got the survey and only have a vague memory of posting about it. My post would have been after Jan 2019 (the date on the letter) but I have no idea which forum. Probably this one but who knows. 

Anyways, I found the letter, took a pic and posted it. Easier for me and probably more informative for those interested anyhow.

FWIW, and now that I think about it, I think there was another member on here that got the survey too.

nobirdshere

I received the same letter and survey (think it was January or February). I responded, but doesn't appear my responses were that influential in the final determinations.

lee sykes
On October 2, 2019 at 2:44 PM, nobirdshere said:

I received the same letter and survey (think it was January or February). I responded, but doesn't appear my responses were that influential in the final determinations.

Been there!   Science is often kneecapped by politicians. 

caleb

Science uses transparent datasets these days. I want to see the methods and data.

WI Outdoor Nut

I do have a copy of the survey, the questions asked.  I could attempt to take photos and upload.  Is there any interest in seeing the survey?

caleb

Thanks, I would indeed like to see it if you're willing to post it.

Really, though, the WIDNR should have it on their website, along with their full dataset.

WI Outdoor Nut
15 hours ago, caleb said:

Thanks, I would indeed like to see it if you're willing to post it.

Really, though, the WIDNR should have it on their website, along with their full dataset.

What I have found, working with the WDNR Biologist, is that you need to "pull" the information out of them.  Not sure why they keep the information so close to their vests, but they do.  Let me do some digging and I will try to post the questionnaire. 

WI Outdoor Nut

Certainly not the best photos, but it is all I have.  Sorry if they are not in the correct order. 

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

caleb

Thanks for posting @WI Outdoor Nut.  It's helpful to see the survey.

Question 5 primes the respondent with language about an emergency and West Nile, as well as uses the consultation with other states for legitimacy.  It's essentially making a subtle argument for the closure directly before asking about it.  That influences the result.

I'd still like to see the data in order to know what the 67% support for closure that @Wisconsin mentions means.  Is it 67% of all respondents?  67% who hunted grouse?  67% of those who hunted grouse in January?  67% of those who hunted grouse in January and would "miss it more than all of your other interests" (Question 7)?  We don't know.

We also don't know the sample size or response rate.

But, to an even larger point, using a public opinion survey to determine (or justify) a season closure seems like a bad idea.  I could pretty easily concoct a survey showing that a large majority of the public supports the elimination of trapping.  Should we do it?  Likewise, with shorter or longer deer seasons, or antlerless permits, or slot limits.  Wildlife management by public opinion survey undermines genuine expertise among wildlife managers, as well as screens them from responsibility for policies and their outcomes.  This sure seems like the "phone a friend" version of wildlife management: I'm not really sure what to do; I don't want to look like a fool guessing on my own; I'll ask the public so at least I'm not all alone if it goes badly.