airmedic1

Personal Locators

WPG Gizmo

This is one of those items that you think you dont need until you need it and dont have it.  How many of us hunt solo even for quick little hour long hunts we rarely tell anyone where we are as we move around a lot.  Leaving it in your truck or at home does not help you when you need help the most.

Years ago in the dark ages before cell phones a buddy of mine back in NC was deer hunting with a bow in a elevated stand.  He fell from the stand broke both legs when he hit the ground but the worst part was one of the broadheads in his quiver went through him and did massive damage internally "Stomach and Kidney" he lay there well into the night wondering if he would see daylight.  He was lucky his wife called us and we knew roughly where he was he was in really bad shape when we found him lost a lot of blood.  Needless to say his days in the Marines were over had he a locator we would have found him much quicker and his outcome might have been different.

blanked

My brand new spot gen 3 isn’t worth beans.  Only works 1 in 5 times.  Test it in the same location as my gen 1 and it never failed in 9 years.  Spot customer service didn’t resolve after 4 calls.  So I am moving on.   

Only problem is is I need this in my hand and working by next Friday.  Can I get the in reach set up and working with simply starting an account online or I have to download data from the account to the in reach to get it working. ?   Lots of times downloading to new devices  never goes smooth and I have to fumble with it to get it to work.  I am pressed for time here

Also are pre set up messages counted as charge as you use texts?   

airmedic1

It only took me about 15 minutes to get my account set up and running but you must have the Inreach with you in hand when you establish the account, it was pretty simple.  It took me longer to figure out pairing it with my smartphone but you don't have to do that unless you want to text from the field where you don't have cell phone service. The preset messages do not count against your text message count.

blanked

Sounds good.  Have it ordered expedited

Remo

Ditto. Thanks guys for the info.

GLS

Inreach also carries an optional rescue insurance policy for a few bucks.  There are some locales that charge for rescue.  Not around here, however.  More importantly, it pays for medical evacuation by air to the nearest hospital.

blanked

how do you communicate on the in reach mini during an SOS?   text? voice? just hit the button to activate and wait?

airmedic1

Not sure about the mini but the regular in-reach is supposed to receive an acknowledgement that your SOS has been received. I would assume they work the same way but don't know for sure.

Remo

in-reach Mini question. It comes with a USB cable and says to charge the battery by plugging into an appropriate power source. ?????????????????? Is the charger purchased separately?

Canuck

Remo,

Someone who knows will chime in but for now I can suggest that the USB cable is used to charge the device, either by plugging it in to the USB port on your computer...or...there are USB chargers that plug into the wall with an adapter that likely comes with...but again...I know next to nothing.

Remo

I'm a dunce. My wife's cell phone charger has a USB port.......  I just didn't want want this mini starting to smoke.

airmedic1

My In-Reach is charged by plugging the USB into a computer port or a USB charger.  I charged mine last spring and didn’t activate until about a month ago and it was still 100%.

WPG Gizmo

I now have a Inreach mini to follow me in the woods after spending a lot of time last week in some far off places and getting a deal for one under $300 I knew I had to step up my game.  Talking to Paula about it she brings up a point that if I was hurt in the woods she would have no clue where to start looking for me or even where to send some one else.  Like last week she knew I was in VT around the NH boarder but that is all she knew this way it gives her peace of mind that the dogs will come home.  Even locally I hunt alone most days and dont bother telling anyone where I am going to be as I tend to move around I know that I could use my cell phone to make a call but this is so much better.

Now just waiting for it to charge

WI Outdoor Nut

For those who hunt in areas with cell phone coverage, two of my hunting buddies and I use Find My on our iPhones.  They can see where I am at and if the call comes out I am missing, can locate pretty quickly. 

Spin
On 10/5/2019 at 7:27 PM, GLS said:

Inreach also carries an optional rescue insurance policy for a few bucks.  There are some locales that charge for rescue.  Not around here, however.  More importantly, it pays for medical evacuation by air to the nearest hospital.

You bet they charge in my stomping grounds and it's not pocket change either. In the various communities or counties defense, there have been several instances of

people getting lost, going through the ice, etc, where they trudged, crawled or swam out and in spite of radio, and television broadcasts of an on going rescue attempt, simply ignored contacting the press or authorities and just went on merrily with their lives while searchers labored on. Quite a few years ago the powers that be said enough and a hefty charge was attached to the service. It was kind of funny how people could put a vehicle through the ice and they respond double quick as there is only a very short grace period before a serious fine goes into affect and the daily rate increases substantially as "Down Time" increases.