airmedic1

Personal Locators

bigdog MN

In reading this thread, it seems the Inreach is preferable to Spot.  I don't own a smart phone.

Does one google Inreach and sign up or are there other sites with deals, etc?

martyg
27 minutes ago, bigdog MN said:

In reading this thread, it seems the Inreach is preferable to Spot.  I don't own a smart phone.

Does one google Inreach and sign up or are there other sites with deals, etc?

You'd be subscribing to Iridium. Inreach is just the device. Iridium is the gold standard.

airmedic1

The Inreach device is a Garmin product.  Once you have purchased one you can go to Inreach.garmin.com, establish an account, select your plan and activate your device.  The Inreach uses the Iridium satellite network and is much better than SPOT in my opinion.  I had a SPOT for several years but have heard some stories that made me think I should go with the Garmin Inreach.

NJ_Springer

I do a significant amount of offshore fishing well out of cell range. I use the InReach mini on a regular basis. You can send preset free text messages to family to let them know all is well, and it also sends them your location, and they can follow you. They can’t reach out to you first, you have to reach out to them first, and they can respond, and get a hold of you if needed etc. We use it so much fishing between boats and family etc I stopped renewing my Sat phone plan. It’s that effective. They have monthly as  needed plans. I do the yearly plan since I use it so much. With the mini you do most functions through your smartphone which makes it super easy. 

3EF11347-5548-4DC4-8935-7674604181C6.jpeg