Clueless1

Sous vide

Clueless1

Anyone?  I've been doing this on my venison this year and it is fantastic.  The cooker I got was around $30 and it has paid off immensely.  Put a backstrap in in the morning and cooked to perfection when I arrive home.  Anyone else?

browndrake

my brother got a nice one for Christmas last year.  Have eaten lots of beef and chicken he has cooked with it.  I was just saying to him, the other day, how good venison must be with it.  He stated that he had had the opposite experience with venison. 

What temp do you cook to and for how long?  I'll have to steal his sous vide and do a trial run with it.

Clueless1

Backstraps I'm doing to 135.  Throw a little Montreal steak seasoning on and on a very hot grill for a minute a side.  The nice thing is you can't overcook it, which just about everyone I know does with venison. 

Brad Eden

Explain what Sous vide is for this back woods hermit.

stripersonfly
19 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

It is a method of cooking in a water bath that is circulated and kept at a constant tempurature by a Sous Vide Cooker.  You use lower temps, usually whatever the targeted final internal temp that you are looking for.  For steaks/roasts you would cook them in a water bath that was kept at 135 degrees.  The process is typically to season and then place in a sealed bag (ziploc or vacuum bag) and then immerse the meat in the water.   Since the temp is not above the med rare target, the meat will not over cook, and you can cook for prolonged periods of temp.  You can then finish the meat by searing the outside quickly in a very hot pan or grill in order to get browning.  The benefits include making tougher piece of meat more tender as you can cook a roast for hours.  You will also get a piece of meat that typically is medium rare throughout the entire c ross section with just a thin layer that is cooked beyond medium rare.  When you grill or roast, you end up with more of the roast well done, with a pink center.  

I am interested in trying it with cheaper pieces of meat for roasts.  Not sure I want to use the method for steak, though some people swear by it.

Clueless1

Used to have a picture because I had to explain to everyone I mentioned it to.  It's a heater that circulates water at whatever temp you set it at.  I fill a small cooler and put the heater/circulater in.  Vacuum seal what you are cooking.  Drop it in, I usually do 8 hours.  Whatever temp you set it at it can't go higher.  I'll drop frozen backstraps in and when I get home perfect.

2000062_image_insitu_4s.jpg

Cooter Brown
22 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Believe it or not, I can do that.

It's a method of cooking in water.  The meat is packed in either a vacuum pack bag or tightly in a ziploc.  It's then placed in a water bath at a constant temperature, say 130 degrees for rare beef.  It's left in the water bath for a sufficient time to bring the internal temp to a proper point--the length of time is not critical just so long as it's sufficient to bring the meat to temp.  Up to several hours will not affect the quality of the cooking.

After sufficient time is given in the water bath, the meat is taken out of the bag and seared/caramelized, either on a grill, in a hot pan, or with a torch.

There are dedicated machines for this, but my cousin's boy has a setup that uses a heating element and a cooler.  The element can be set to a specific temp.  He uses a Yeti type cooler.

Got beat to the punch.  The device in Clueless's pic is what my cousn's son has.

stripersonfly

Here is a quick 1+ minute video that explains Sous Vide. 

Brad Eden

You's guys sure is smmaaattttt. Thanks.

Clueless1

I use a cooler on the counter.  Teh picture I put up is generic.  My sous vide cooker was $30 on Amazon. 

Cooter Brown
6 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

I use a cooler on the counter.  Teh picture I put up is generic.  My sous vide cooker was $30 on Amazon. 

At $30 it's almost a no-brainer.

Clueless1
11 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

At $30 it's almost a no-brainer.

Had to go look it up.  I lied.  Memory ain't what it used to be, either that or that's what I told my wife it cost.  Here's the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DD91VR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A bit of a PIA to get the temps set but it has worked for over a year now. 

chilly460

My wife bought a high dollar one with a gift card we got for our wedding.  It definitely works nice and you end up with a perfectly good cut of beef for sure.  After the novelty wore off, found we just weren't using it due to the cook time, if I have that kind of lead time I'm usually going to cook in the smoker.  She sent it down the road on Ebay and we bought a pasta maker, it's been much more practical for us.  

RDG

I love my Anova Sous Vide. Use it all the time.

My wife prefers her steaks medium well/well done and the sous vide really shines there without making the meat tough. 

Also does an amazing job on pork. 

Need to try pheasant breast in it this year. The guys at The Flush did a Segment on it 

Clueless1

Need to try pheasant breast as well.  Will try this.

I inspired myself to do a backstrap, if I remember will take a picture.  It is the only way I've found that I can get it done exactly the way I want.