Clueless1

Sous vide

airmedic1
On 10/1/2019 at 1:56 PM, chilly460 said:

My wife bought a high dollar one with a gift card we got for our wedding.  It definitely works nice and you end up with a perfectly good cut of beef for sure.  After the novelty wore off, found we just weren't using it due to the cook time, if I have that kind of lead time I'm usually going to cook in the smoker.  She sent it down the road on Ebay and we bought a pasta maker, it's been much more practical for us.  

Heck, we got both and don’t use either one!  My wife found pasta maker on a garage sale for $5, knew what it was and bought it.  I think it was a  Macato or something like that.  It was supposed to be $150 new but she has never used it.  I’ve used the Sous vide a few times but the novelty has worm off and I like my pellet grill.

Clueless1

I can see the novelty wearing off.  The thing that works for me though, is that I keep the backstraps as a chunk.  Cut it in half and in the freezer.  I can pull that half backstrap out in the morning, put it on the counter hit go and when I come home after work it's done perfectly.  I have a hard time cooking venison without it.  I've done the same with the sirloin then sliced it thin and made sandwiches. 

Never tried a steak, everything I do is a larger piece.

Ben Hong

"Sous vide" means under vacuum. I just use the Mark 1 Eyeball and a touch of the finger.

barna

Here is my back woods way. I cooked a venison back strap in the same water as the potatoes, for the same amount of time it was perfect. About 20 minutes in boiling water and ended up medium rare. 

Barna

Ben Hong
On 10/14/2019 at 9:38 PM, barna said:

Here is my back woods way. I cooked a venison back strap in the same water as the potatoes, for the same amount of time it was perfect. About 20 minutes in boiling water and ended up medium rare. 

Barna

You like boiled meat?

barna
9 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

You like boiled meat?

I should clarify, the venison was about an 8oz pc and it was in a vacuum  seal, so it was an improvised sous vide, hot and fast but turned out great.

To your boiled meat question, yes, especially shabu-shabu.  :)

Barna

Ben Hong
13 hours ago, barna said:

I should clarify, the venison was about an 8oz pc and it was in a vacuum  seal, so it was an improvised sous vide, hot and fast but turned out great.

To your boiled meat question, yes, especially shabu-shabu.  :)

Barna

Great! shabu shabu is the derivative of the Chinese hot pot.  There's also the New England (Maritimes) boiled dinner, Jigg's dinner of Newfoundland, Chinese poached chicken, corned beef dinner, cottage roll and cabbage, etc. Then there's a whole world of recipes for boiled/poached fish and seafood.

Jazz4Brazo

I have had the privilege of enjoying Shabu Shabu outside Tokyo and Hot Pot in Chongqing...not sure which came first but they were both delicious...my dad brought back a Shabu Shabu pot from Japan in the late 70s and created many fond family memories (that pot resides with me since my dad's passing).

As for sous vide...haven't tried it yet but a friend of mine raves about what he can do with it...always finishes off though with some type of sear (pan, grill, whatever)...hoping to experience his cuisine to see what all the rage is about...can't see how sous vide steak beats 6 min a side medium rare steak off a hot grill...to each his own.