Brad Eden

Chevy all electric Bolt

Brad Eden

My SIL Jim just bought a Chevy Bolt. It was between that and a Nissan Leaf. The Bolt was more expensive but drives a lot longer on a charge I guess and is more powerful. He's giving his Prius to my daughter as a better mileage ride than her 2006 Escape. He works for an eco friendly/manufacturing company that has banks of charging bays. He's doing well given these cars are expensive. They might both be up for Thanksgiving and I hope they take the Bolt. I'd like to see it. My daughter says it's like a space ship inside. It's totally silent, but electric cars by law need a fake hum for safety reasons. No oil changes, no gas fill up...the future is here. (Please don't make this Topic Political, just thought it was interesting to have a full electric vehicle "in the family".)

Tim Frazier

I think it's Volt with a V.  I find this technology interesting but not sure I'm ready for it!

blanked

Wonder what the fake hum has to do with safety

Mike da Carpenter
9 minutes ago, blanked said:

Wonder what the fake hum has to do with safety

So you can hear them coming down the road.  There is no engine noise to alert people walking and not paying attention to their surroundings.  Add to that a car that makes no noise and that’s a recipe for disaster.

RayB

For around town I would be in the market but for road trips I still want liquid dinosaur in the tank

Brad Eden
48 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

I think it's Volt with a V.  I find this technology interesting but not sure I'm ready for it!

I guess there there is a Volt and a Bolt and he got the B.

rideold
38 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

Chevy made a Volt and makes a Bolt.  The Volt is a plug in hybrid and the Bolt is fully electric.  We have a couple of Leafs as pool cars at my office.  They seem to be great cars and are fun to drive.  I'd buy one but the range on the Bolt is a great attraction.  They are just a bit pricey for my wallet.  Even a used Leaf is stretching it.  My wife and I have been talking about making the move somehow though.  We used to have one car and it was a diesel VW.  We drove for a decade and a half feeling like we were doing our part to not pollute as much.  In the end the maintenance became too much and I needed a truck for hunting so now we're kind of on the other end of the spectrum in term of MPG.  Sure be nice to just charge the car up overnight in the driveway.

chilly460

Client at my old role was GM so we'd get up to Detroit now and then, our main contact had a Volt.  Pretty cool, buzzed four of us around town for the day just on the battery, around 37mi in stop and go.  Seemed to have good performance and was definitely quiet.  As explained to me, once the battery was consumed it switched to a small gas motor that fed the battery (although I never got clarity if it ever actually fed power to the wheels).  It lost some giddyup but otherwise pretty seamless as it switched to hybrid mode.  The Volt was too expensive for a car that basically competed with a Civic ($42-45k) but it was viable enough to make me see the handwriting on the wall.  The interior was definitely space-age, for one it doesn't need typical gauges so there's no real instrument cluster.  All the "button" functions were touchscreen types, shiny black plastic.  It looked a little rough from all the fingerprints was my recollection.  

I still don't understand how the infrastructure would hold up to the charging requirements if everyone went electric, and the implications of all the battery production and disposal down the line.  

Granted I work in IT so I'd assume folks in my office are early adopters, but four guys have bought Teslas in the past year so electric vehicles are definitely picking up momentum.   My application development manager is in his 50s and was explaining that with the next software upgrade, his Tesla will be able to drive out of a parking spot and pick him up at the curb.  He's no millenial, so can only imagine the appeal to the younger generation that are enthralled with this type of thing.  

pjourn

I'm ready for it. No refueling, no oil changes.. I'm in. Make it 4wd with good range and I'm sold. 

Batteries are improving by leaps and bounds and electric vehicles are going to reflect that in the near future.

I vividly remember the early makita cordless tools. They were handy, but no substitute for corded drills. Fast forward to now. I haven't used a plugin circular saw, drill or driver in a long time. I basically only charge my e-collars to top them off, not because they go dead. I'm typing on a laptop that I don't even take a charger for when I travel.

Bring on the electrics!

Clueless1

Wife and I are looking to replace one in the spring.  I'm torn.  Don't think the technology is there yet to make us completely satisfied but also think that during this next cars lifetime we will kick ourselves for not doing it. 

salmontogue

Nearly three years ago we purchased a two year old off lease Volt (22.5K mileage) for 13K with a new, when needed, battery pack included.  It was a whim that has turned out to be a really nice car.  It has experienced zero problems, has a lifetime mpg of 58 and is fun to drive even though very different from fossil fuel vehicles.  The dealer was stuck with this car and there was no customer interest, therefore the amazing price.  It is quick, handles well and is silent even when switching from battery to gas engine.

This would not normally have grabbed my attention except it was different and I wanted to "experiment".  Glad I did.

It is unsuitable for off-road with low clearance and for long trips it is too small.  It is our spare vehicle although my wife really likes it.  While not a fan of recent GM vehicles, I have to give kudos to this one.  Performance, reliability, fit/finish and economy of operation are all first rate.  I would never buy a new one, only certified pre-owned.  13K for a two year old 45K car is astonishing.  Free battery replacement when required is beyond amazing.

sharptail grouse
40 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I guess there there is a Volt and a Bolt and he got the B.

"Bolt" doesn't sound very elegant or racey. Makes me think of "Dolt".

Probably a great vehicle - I know nothing about them.

salmontogue
2 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

"Bolt" doesn't sound very elegant or racey. Makes me think of "Dolt".

Probably a great vehicle - I know nothing about them.

Lots of folks thought I was a dolt when I bought the Volt.  It has been a great car, so much so, that my wife drives it primarily and her SUV has become the spare car.

Brad Eden

I'm just the messenger. Dont strap me into the electric chair.  🚗 

Tim Frazier

I have entertained an all electric UTV if that counts ;-)