Sign in to follow this  
WI Outdoor Nut

Tritronics beeper turns off when dog shakes

WI Outdoor Nut

I have a tri-tronics beeper made by Garmin that turns off when the dog shakes.  As one can imagine, it is quite frustrating.  The beeper isn't total off, the LED lights are still going, but if I have it on locate and point mode, nothing works.  If just point mode, same thing.  I need to bring the dog in, turn off the beeper, then turn it back on.  My buddy's beeper collar does the exact same thing.  Not a huge issues unless we are in wet conditions like we were this past weekend.  We were having to "restart" the beeper every 5 minutes or so.  Anyone have a fix for this or experience it as well?

OH Grouser

If this is the beeper you've got...I've had that same issue occur. I run mine on point mode and the problem only happens a few times each season, so I've just lived with it. If it was occurring multiple times a day, that would get frustrating for sure. On mine, the beeper makes some strange tones right before it shuts down. I've always though it was a due to a glitch in the electronics and don't have a fix for the problem. I'm due to replace the battery in mine, think I'll take a look at the contacts and be sure nothing is loose in there. Other than this occasional hiccup, it's been a solid beeper for quite a few seasons. 

Roger 

20191002_060433.thumb.jpg.bd579a780042c576fd6473e2e511cfcf.jpg

WI Outdoor Nut
13 minutes ago, OH Grouser said:

If this is the beeper you've got...I've had that same issue occur. I run mine on point mode and the problem only happens a few times each season, so I've just lived with it. If it was occurring multiple times a day, that would get frustrating for sure. On mine, the beeper makes some strange tones right before it shuts down. I've always though it was a due to a glitch in the electronics and don't have a fix for the problem. I'm due to replace the battery in mine, think I'll take a look at the contacts and be sure nothing is loose in there. Other than this occasional hiccup, it's been a solid beeper for quite a few seasons. 

Roger 

20191002_060433.thumb.jpg.bd579a780042c576fd6473e2e511cfcf.jpg

That's the one.  And yes, happens a lot. 

ScottGrush

Does that beeper use a 9v battery still? 

I remember this being a problem with I think it was Lovetts beepers, maybe it was TT I can;t recall as I am getting old and senile.......anyway, you had to use a duracell because they were 2mm longer than other brand batteries. What's happening is when the dog shakes it is making and breaking contact with the battery terminals. 

Just a thought. 

OH Grouser

These use a CR123 lithium battery. Took mine apart this evening, and I don't see anything loose or wrong inside the unit. I was thinking maybe a contact issue also, but the battery fits really well and the contacts don't move. The negative spring is right on top of the circuit board, maybe there's something going on down there, but it's not easily accessible.

I dunno, I'll keep running mine as usual -  but shutting down multiple times a day would be a pain.

Roger

WPG Gizmo

I would be contacting Garmin to see what they say

msuhunter

I have same beeper and have had that happen lots. The dog doesn't even have to shake just moving and you hear the sound the beeper makes when turning on or off. As stated above it's not totally off but it won't sound off when dog goes on point.

WI Outdoor Nut

Hum - so others have the same issue it appears.  It is not a tight battery problem.  That was the case with the old tri-tronics beepers that did take the 9 v battery.  Right now I am using the Lovett's beeper.  I have had so many issues with Tri-tronic beepers in the past I went a different route.  But while I like Lovett's beeper because it works, it is a PIA to turn on and off as you need a screwdriver.  I don't carry one in the field, so if we take a break, the beeper is simply going off.