Speaks

favorite gear

Speaks

Hey guys, I suppose much of what would be in here has likely been beaten to death over the years but I always find it interesting anyway. 

This year I went through a nearly total gear refresh. Most of what I had at the end of last season was exactly the same hear that I bought in 2006 as a kid fresh out of college with no money and a britt pup who just needed the basics to get hunting. A browning jacket with a bird bag, one of those $30 Cabelas vests, some filson chaps, and other than the gun that was about it. It all worked well enough and later when I could afford to upgrade stuff my dog was aging and I hunted less so nothing changed. Last summer I really wanted a new pup but knew that to put in the time I wanted with one I would mostly give up my other hunting pursuits and cut way back on fall fishing but I really wanted to get back in. I decided with this being really my only hobby now I wanted to upgrade some stuff. Its early in the season yet (though I did spend a lot of time late July and August in the field and woods) but there are a few items that have really stood out as a "man I cant believe I waited so long to get this" type of items. 

Orvis Tough Shell Chaps: I love these things and use them for much more than just bird hunting. The filsons worked but were hot, heavy, and too short. I cant think of one single thing I would change on these ones. I got some briar pants as well but not sure I will need them with how much I like these chaps. 

Q5 Primer Vest: I ended up buying a few vests this summer trying to find what I wanted. Wing works is really nice but not what I was looking for to hop small grouse covers, got an Orvis one that was also quite nice but my wife really liked it and I gave it to her. The primer though was exactly what I wanted. Great belt system, enough storage for anything I want to take, not too bulky in thick aspen cuts, and seems to be very durable. I did end up buying a Sancarlos on the summer auction thinking the extra pockets in the game bag would be handy which I am sure they are but after wearing the primer daily from may until now I have grown attached and that is what I will wear this season. 

Orvis Adaptive Hearing Protection: Its dirt cheap, only minimally dampens normal sound and does ok for a shotgun blast. I also bought some sound gear non custom electronic plugs which do great with gunfire but seem to amplify only some sounds and not always the right ones. I may still use those but the Orvis ones are a great value. 

Trapper Ron Safety Setter: Piece of gear I hope to never use but man it makes opening a 220 super fast and easy. Practiced a bit and I can have a 220 open in about 30 seconds. 

Anyway got lots of other interesting stuff but these items stood out as a great purchase. Wanted to hear what anyone else had for favorite gear. 

airmedic1

Here is my short list:  I will fill in details later.

Bucks Bags Chukar Vest

Carhartt Upland Shirt

Wrangler nylon faced hunting pants

Leather ranger belt

Orange Filson hat

Leather work gloves

Garmin Astro 430

Garmin Pro 70

Gerber Multi-tool

Case bird knife

Boyt Estancia gun case

Zkight89

Lacrosse Alpha Mudlite Boots- had a pair for at least 8 years before someone needed them worse than me and took them out of my truck. 

Redhead brand internal frame pack that's been around a good 10 years and carries a load well.

Carhartt Double Front Duck pants. Best work/ hunting pants I've found.

Carhartt midweight pullover hoodie, great for layering and extremely tough. 

Pair of Magellan neoprene waders that I bought on sale for $59 last year. So far so good, very affordable. 

RH Forschner Skinning and Boning knives. Can take any critter apart swiftly with just the Boning knife. 

Hub

Speaks...would you be interested in selling the Wingworks?  What material and pocket style do you have?

Speaks
1 hour ago, Hub said:

Speaks...would you be interested in selling the Wingworks?  What material and pocket style do you have?

Perhaps, my original plan was to keep it around for the occasional ND hunt where the extra capacity came in handy. Realistically though even though it is an awesome vest I may be better off selling it and getting a Q5 centerfire to stay with that system. Not that it would be a big deal but would be handy to for example take my left belt pocket which carries trap setters, pliers, dog first aid stuff, etc and just move from one vest to another if I was going for a longer hunt and wanted more capacity. Move both belt pockets from one to another and I would have all stuff I keep on hand and then have the back pack to add the longer hunt stuff like extra water and food. 

Anyway my vest is the ballistic nylon which I think is all they sell now, I got it with as much orange as I could order, have the grouse pockets and the alpha holster. I also got the synch strap rather than the plastic buckle. I know they do some customizing to size and I am 6'2 with a 32" waist but I can barely get it tight enough so it can for sure work with someone with a bit more weight than me. Its been on me about 20 minutes in the house and not seen the field yet, if your interested let me know. Looks like your in MN though I dont know what part, I run the pup at Kelly farms nearly every day so if your local and want to check it out that may be an option. 

Hub
On 10/5/2019 at 7:43 AM, Speaks said:

Perhaps, my original plan was to keep it around for the occasional ND hunt where the extra capacity came in handy. Realistically though even though it is an awesome vest I may be better off selling it and getting a Q5 centerfire to stay with that system. Not that it would be a big deal but would be handy to for example take my left belt pocket which carries trap setters, pliers, dog first aid stuff, etc and just move from one vest to another if I was going for a longer hunt and wanted more capacity. Move both belt pockets from one to another and I would have all stuff I keep on hand and then have the back pack to add the longer hunt stuff like extra water and food. 

Anyway my vest is the ballistic nylon which I think is all they sell now, I got it with as much orange as I could order, have the grouse pockets and the alpha holster. I also got the synch strap rather than the plastic buckle. I know they do some customizing to size and I am 6'2 with a 32" waist but I can barely get it tight enough so it can for sure work with someone with a bit more weight than me. Its been on me about 20 minutes in the house and not seen the field yet, if your interested let me know. Looks like your in MN though I dont know what part, I run the pup at Kelly farms nearly every day so if your local and want to check it out that may be an option. 

Sounds like what I would be looking for.  Is Kelly Farms in Elk River?  I am in Osseo/Maple Grove and work downtown.  I am a 36" waist and a short legged 6' tall.  If everything fits I would pay what you have into it if that works?

jrg

I'm new to upland hunting and bought some new gear this year to get into the sport. I tend to follow the "cry once" motto and buy things that a) will last awhile and b) will make my experience in the woods more pleasant. 

So far, the standout pieces of gear for me are the following:

1. The Orvis Pro Series Hunting Vest. I considered a Wingworks but ended up going with the Orvis. I had originally bought the Orvis Strap Vest, but with water for me and the dog, shells, a beer, and some snacks, having all the weight on the shoulder straps was too much. The Pro Series vest does a great job shifting the weight to the waist belt, and it has plenty of storage space for birds and other gear.
  2. The First Lite Sawbuck Brush Pant. I tried on a lot of different upland pants and decided to go with these for temps above 45º. They're tough and stand up to thorns and briars, and they are pretty water resistant too. But they're also incredibly light and breathable because of the use of modern materials. Super comfortable.
  3. The Orvis Toughshell Pants. It's been said on here before, but these pants are fantastic. They're about as rugged as Filson but way lighter. The side zips help keep you from overheating. These are definitely for cooler temps (below, say, 50º), but they will keep you dry for sure.
  4. OnX Maps on my iPhone. Marking birds and covers and tracking features make this app indispensable.

Spiller

High Brass 20 Guage.

Speaks
7 hours ago, jrg said:

OnX Maps on my iPhone. Marking birds and covers and tracking features make this app indispensable.

I forgot about OnX and also Scout and Hunt, both super helpful apps. 

Swampy 16

Boots- Trying American Danner’s now, jury still out but Muck Wetlands rock !

Vest- Orvis strap

Pants- Beretta thorn resistant (best I’ve owned)

Hat- orange

Gloves- Cabelas Elk skin

Jacket- Orvis soft shell (best I’ve owned)

Gun- depends on the day but I love my Iside 20.

SARGENT

Pants- Old Bean Tech pants that I loved and mended several times and just bought a new pair of Orvis upland soft shell pants that are working great.  

https://www.orvis.com/p/upland-hunting-softshell-pants/2p6j

Shirts- Patagonia capaline or merino wool base layer and then a RI Patagonia quarter zip.  Bought a hooded version at the end of last year and it will be a nice addition to late season.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-r1-regulator-fleece-pullover-hoody/40069.html

Socks- Darn tough of different weights

Boots- Danner Pronghorn- I had foot surgery years ago and they fit my feet well and are light.  I have two pair that I rotate- both uninsulated.

Vest- Q5- Centerfire- love this vest 

https://q5outdoorproducts.com/product/q5-centerfire-vest-complete/

Gloves- leather ll bean tech upland for early season and a lightly insulated(30gr) shooting glove with a tight wool liner glove when it gets cold

Jacket- when it gets single digits or the wind picks up late season I have an older cabelas soft shell that I throw on.  

Gaiters- Black Diamond knee high waterproof  for late season post holing

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/hiking-gaiters/frontpoint-BD701501_cfg.html#cgid=gaiters&start=3

Hat- Blaze mesh back ball cap and blaze Under Armour athletic/poly winter hat

Collar- Old Tri Tronics Sportsman used mostly for the tone feature on a Flushing dog

I just bought OnX and am using it for the first time this fall.  It is a great tool.  

ryanr

A good pair of waterproof, leather hunting boots and a comfortable vest.

atticus

Orvis featherweight kangaroo upland boots

darn tough socks 

Dongotto

Dans upland bibs

Mike Connally

Sonic beeper.