Speaks

favorite gear

Rockford Setters

I believe I have 8 Sonic beepers, picked up 4 this spring from the estate of a fellow WC bander.

Brad Eden

Nice to see UJ Ad Sponsors represented. Orvis, Q5/Quil, WingWorks.

WI Outdoor Nut

Favorite - Q5 strap vest. 

NECarson

My favorite piece of gear is probably my Filson chaps. 

The thing I like way more than I thought I would is my Garmin Fenix 5

whiskyjack

Like everyone here I have a bunch of favourite bits of gear.

I love my Filson strap vest carries what I require most of the time.

For stints farther from the truck/camp, I have a very serviceable Browning vest.

Wrangler hunting pants/shirts, Irish Setter Elk boots, Badlands or Sitka fleece jacket.

Orange ball cap or toque depending on temp.

Custom bird knife by Charlie May. 

Plus a number of other items, most I have used for years.

The one thing I have bought recently that I get the most use from is the Yeti Load Out box. So far it has been bomb-proof.

It holds virtually everything I take with me, can be locked if need be to store extra shells. Expensive? Yep, but I like it.

Sees use constantly, as does my Yeti coffee tumbler LOL.

Jeff

Auto-5

I literally have a closet full of gear and find myself gravitating to just a few items.

My most got to have em item is my Orvis  leather upland gloves. Love em.

I have both a Boyt upland coat and vest  that I use 99% of the time  based on temp

I used brush pants for years and finally bought a pair of Orvis chaps . Won me over.

a Cabelas upland belt vest is in rotation in very hot weather  (doves)

i wear Bean boots most of the time or Merrel hikers for doves.

Dave Quindt

Boyt chaps - The best waxed chaps on the market I've found.  Full length zippers makes putting then on so easy.  They come lightly waxed IMO so they need a second coat.  I need to take the advice of Gene Hill and buy a spare set, or two. 

Duluth Trading Roustabout Pants - a bit pricey at full price but they go on sale (like the 25% off sale on now).  Interesting blend of cotton and Cordura.  A new addition to the mix, I wore these last week in ND, both on their own and under my chaps.  They are not brush pants per se, but was perfectly happy walking through the prairie with them, including pushing some brush. 

These are the two that come to mind; will add more later.

NECarson
11 hours ago, whiskyjack said:

The one thing I have bought recently that I get the most use from is the Yeti Load Out box. So far it has been bomb-proof.

It holds virtually everything I take with me, can be locked if need be to store extra shells. Expensive? Yep, but I like it.

Sees use constantly, as does my Yeti coffee tumbler LOL.

Jeff

I keep looking at those... 

Yeti stuff is expensive, but I have used and liked all of my Yeti products more than I expected. 

SelbyLowndes

Marble brass pocket compass.  For when somebody moves my landmarks around. Like roads and such...SelbyLowndes

whiskyjack
9 hours ago, NECarson said:

I keep looking at those... 

Yeti stuff is expensive, but I have used and liked all of my Yeti products more than I expected. 

When I first saw one in the store, I was surprized at the size it is, ie not really large. After examining it though I started to see

plenty of uses for a solid box of that size. It fits in the rear of the cab of my C/C truck on the floor, out of sight but accessible. 

In addition to locking shells in mine, I also keep my electronics such as tablet, range finder, GPS and my LTO-Tracker in it. Optics such as binoculars or spare scope 

are included.

I have considered buying a second Load Out in white as a base camp first aid/trauma kit.

I enjoy my Yeti coolers, tumblers and the Rambler thermos I have. I haven't looked at the soft sided items though, just not convinced they are as tough as the "hard" items.

Jeff

E.Young

Lot of love for chaps in this thread - you guys ever find difficult with them being either too baggy and hung-up on everything or not ergonomic and flexible enough to hoist legs over logs all day?

NECarson
11 hours ago, whiskyjack said:

When I first saw one in the store, I was surprized at the size it is, ie not really large. After examining it though I started to see

plenty of uses for a solid box of that size. It fits in the rear of the cab of my C/C truck on the floor, out of sight but accessible. 

In addition to locking shells in mine, I also keep my electronics such as tablet, range finder, GPS and my LTO-Tracker in it. Optics such as binoculars or spare scope 

are included.

I have considered buying a second Load Out in white as a base camp first aid/trauma kit.

I enjoy my Yeti coolers, tumblers and the Rambler thermos I have. I haven't looked at the soft sided items though, just not convinced they are as tough as the "hard" items.

Jeff

Back seat floorboard is exactly where I was thinking one could be handy. Hmmmm... 

I got an original Hopper 20 from a buddy for way cheap. I was suspicious at first, but it's tough and very handy. Waterproof zipper, which is nice. 

NECarson
10 hours ago, E.Young said:

Lot of love for chaps in this thread - you guys ever find difficult with them being either too baggy and hung-up on everything or not ergonomic and flexible enough to hoist legs over logs all day?

Mine are lose enough to be comfortable and flexible, but not baggy so that they hang up on things. 

Speaks
On 10/21/2019 at 9:11 PM, E.Young said:

I love my Orvis ones, probably my number one favorite purchase this year though the Q5 vest is up there too, mine are not that baggy . I actually also like my filson ones but they are just a touch too short, im sure that could be fixed though. 

OldColonel

Pants- Orvis / Filson

Shirts- Beretta / Orvis / Eddie Bauer / and filson

Socks- smart wool merino 

Boots- Russell’s, several pair, le Chameau rubber when things are very wet

Vest- Filson original hunting vest (model 32)  and sometimes the Filson padded strap vest (pro Guide)

Gloves- Orvis upland - I wear out one or more pair a season and love them

Jacket- Barbour coat with strap vest over top

Hat- Felt Bailey Jackson hat or sometimes a baseball cap

Collar- Old Tri Tronics G2 (have 6 of them and a control set up for thee collars at one time