T-Bone

Beware Of Mr. Baker...No More; He's Pasted

T-Bone

Another rock legend has left us, Ginger Baker. Amazing that he lived to be 80; considering his lifestyle for most of his life and at times, his caustic personality. His very distinctive voice during interviews always reflected that lifestyle. Cream is still one of my favorite bands.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rock-icon-ginger-baker-drummer-121557136.html

Field Grade

RIP Wildman. He was a force of nature. The documentary "Beware Mr. Baker" shows what a creative unhinged lunatic he was. Not a nice fellow to know personally...he ditched his family, wanted to stab fellow Cream member Jack Bruce onstage, p#ssed away millions, had a drug habit that could throw a shadow, along with a volcanic temper... Beyond those minor "personal issues" though he was one of the most creative drummers of the '60s and '70s.

Field Grade

I think the whole documentary is here, 'til they take it down:

Brad Eden

Cream was one of my favorite bands as well. Ginger Baker was one of the first truly gifted drummers. 

john mcg

I always thought Blind Faith was the greatest R&R ensemble of all time.

1971snipe

I saw him in Boston at a Hard Rock Cafe, early 90s, having lunch and autographing a bass drum that had been attached to the wall about 10' up.  He climbed a ladder to get to it.  He very politely signed autographs for folks while he was trying to eat his burger and fries.  The restaurant introduced him, and played the classic Cream version of Crossroads, to very polite applause and recognition, to which he acknowledged  by standing and waving all around.  I was surprised at how shy and humble he seemed, and I remember wondering out loud to the others at our table, is that guy really Ginger Baker?   Anyway, prayers for his loved ones.  May he rest in peace.  

Ben Hong

The iconic Ginger Baker was one of the Holy Triumvirate of 60s drummers, which includes Keith Moon (Who) and John Bonham (Zep). Funny, I don't include Ringo Starr in this group.

Pudgy gopher

He definitely was a force.  I believe he set the stage for the persona of a wild drummer at the same time kicking out some serious beats.  Ben I would like to add to your list by including Bill Kreutzman and Micky Hart of the Dead. In an interview Micky Hart gave the nod to Ginger's influence on the role of the drummer in a band and how it could be more then just keeping the beat.

canvasback

That was a fantastic documentary. Sorry to see him go.

Field Grade

Levon Helm should make the list as well. Not an overpowering drummer but great style and feel. And while drumming, unforgettable vocals on top of it all.

juneboy1
6 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

The iconic Ginger Baker was one of the Holy Triumvirate of 60s drummers, which includes Keith Moon (Who) and John Bonham (Zep). Funny, I don't include Ringo Starr in this group.

That is a mistake, Ringo is a groove master.

juneboy1
5 hours ago, Pudgy gopher said:

He definitely was a force.  I believe he set the stage for the persona of a wild drummer at the same time kicking out some serious beats.  Ben I would like to add to your list by including Bill Kreutzman and Micky Hart of the Dead. In an interview Micky Hart gave the nod to Ginger's influence on the role of the drummer in a band and how it could be more then just keeping the beat.

I agree with these two and Levon

Dogwood

Mitch Mitchell while you're at it.

Spiller

Dino Danelli

Brad Eden

Micky Dolenz.