MTRookie76

Opossums , tick terminator

topdog1961

I will say this about ticks, I believe they are a cunning adversary. I sat immobile, camoed up, Turkey hunting once. I only moved to pick 9 ticks off me within an hour before I got the heck out of there. I watched one crawl along a brush branch to the point it overhang my shotgun barrel, then drop off and stick the landing on the barrel, then proceed up the barrel to my hand. To me, that showed a great deal of planning for a supposed dumb creature that only reacts instinctively to stimuli. Or maybe I just encountered the Einstein of ticks. 

topdog1961
49 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

I will say this about ticks, I believe they are a cunning adversary. I sat immobile, camoed up, Turkey hunting once. I only moved to pick 9 ticks off me within an hour before I got the heck out of there. I watched one crawl along a brush branch to the point it overhang my shotgun barrel, then drop off and stick the landing on the barrel, then proceed up the barrel to my hand. To me, that showed a great deal of planning for a supposed dumb creature that only reacts instinctively to stimuli. Or maybe I just encountered the Einstein of ticks. 

Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Bumble bees can solve the math problem “salesman’s dilemma” faster than supercomputers, and dung beetles use celestial navigation. 

“But ask the animals, and they will teach you,

or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you, 

or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,

or let the fishes in the sea infirm you..”

Mike Connally

I’ve heard the expression “playing Dead” referenced to possums. Gunner caught one in a hedgerow last year and it certainly appeared dead. I went online and checked out “playing possum”.  Evidently they don’t play dead. It’s an involuntary comatose reaction to fear. It works better some times than others...

sharptail grouse
7 minutes ago, Mike Connally said:

I’ve heard the expression “playing Dead” referenced to possums. Gunner caught one in a hedgerow last year and it certainly appeared dead. I went online and checked out “playing possum”.  Evidently they don’t play dead. It’s an involuntary comatose reaction to fear. It works better some times than others...

Always works for me. 😓

sharptail grouse
51 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

Successful - yes.

"Cunning"?..... I dunno..........I think he was just taking the shortest route to the nearest warm mammal.

WPG Gizmo

The ones I see are not playing dead  unless they have figured out a way to lay flat on the road.

As for Tick's since Oct 1st I have taken just one off the dogs running in tall grass or leaf litter there are very few that we are finding.

Randy S

I've skinned my share of  'possum and of all the vermin in the outdoors, they have the foulest pooh. 

Prime opposum fur is actually pretty but has little value because it lacks durability. The underfur of northern possum is bright white with black tips. 

I had this one tanned because it had no sale value but was heavily furred.

DSCN0827 (2).JPG

DSCN0828.JPG

bigjohnsd
18 hours ago, Randy S said:

In New Zealand, where Possums were introduced and are now considered an Invasive Species, Possums are trapped and the hair is plucked from the skin, blended with a small percentage of Merino wool and spun into yarn.  The yarn is made into fantastic sweaters.  https://www.sweaterchalet.com/possumdown/

BIRDDOG 307

If you have horses you do not want any Possums around. Our vet said that there is something in the possum crap or where they crapped on the grass and the horses eat the grass they can cause serious neurology problems. I can't remember the name of the disease but very bad and only possums pass it on as I remember.

Birddog 307