Sign in to follow this  
U.P. Grouse Hunter

Sport dog upland hunter beeper

U.P. Grouse Hunter

Does anybody use this beeper on high volume? I was grouse hunting with my setter today, and it was quite windy. If Ottowa was more than 25-30 yards out it was really hard to hear this beeper when it was set on low volume beep. When we got home I reprogrammed the beeper to high volume. WOW, is that thing loud. Holding it in my hand at arms length it hurts my ears. I have no doubt that I will be able to hear this better in the field,  but it cant be good for my dogs ears. Do any of you use this beeper on high volume?

smalliesonthefly

I've got mine on low, and, yes, when it is really windy, I have a tough time hearing it. So I rely more on the GPS than the beeper on those days. I also put the beeper on one of the vest's straps, keeping it away from my dog's ears a bit, and directing the sound up and away. One thing I have noticed about that beeper, it really mutes the tone if you screw the "speaker cone" cylinder down too tightly. I was worried about it coming off by not being cinched down, but it has done fine. Maybe check to see if yours is too tight?