topdog1961

&@!@# Raccoon.

topdog1961

I’ve been driving a minimum 125 miles each work day for 24 years, and until yesterday had managed to avoid animal collisions that caused damage.  Each morning drive is in the dark, and given my two jobs, many returns are also in the dark.  I’m ever diligent, and vary my route to avoid high deer traffic areas/times.  I’ve had some close calls with live deer, and one dark morning ran over an entire large deer lying sideways in a dip in the road without doing damage to my 04 Hyundai Elantra GT.  The small car just jumped right over it, I think I went airborne for a moment.  But my current 2013 Mazda 3 has a plastic fascia that goes close to the ground.  I guess they are trying to squeeze out the last .1 MPG, or maybe it’s a styling thing, but newer cars don’t take much to do thousands of dollars in damage.  

About 5:00am I was cruising at highway speed on a rural state route.  A section had a deep drainage ditch close to the road (this area once was the Black Swamp) and the farmer had not been maintaining the roadside well.  Anyway, a unseen suicidal raccoon came tearing out of the passenger side tall grass at top speed right in front of me.  I didn’t even have time to touch the brakes.  He almost made it across, when crunch, my driver’s side tires took him out.  I pulled over at the first side road, and could look through the front of the car to see the tire.  That rascally raccoon busted my fascia, knocked out a panel on it, and took out the inner wheel well.  I’d say at least $2,000 damage.  I stopped in the twilight on my way home and collected pieces of my car, in case the body shop can reuse them.  Fortunately State Farm comprehensive coverage is zero deductible.  But it’s a shame that many modern cars can’t survive a raccoon, groundhog, or opossum strike.  And there are lots of them, as there seems to be a dead critter lying about every mile along my route.

7131404E-013C-42AD-83AF-62D4677E68B4.jpeg

16A28431-136E-4690-9A69-2BAE2D5D818B.jpeg

sharptail grouse

Nice car - too bad. Looks like you need a truck.

charlo slim

That will buff right out.

topdog1961
12 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

Nice car - too bad. Looks like you need a truck.

I drive about 35k a year, wish I could afford to drive one but it would bankrupt me in gas and depreciation. 

dogrunner

Get the coon and make a nice cap out of it for revenge.  😀

RuffChaser

Was his name Rocky:

fishvik

That's why I drive a small truck.

RookieEP

Your commute is killer.  Have you done the math on the amount of time you spend on the road per year and vehicles $.  Your a great family provider but man...   lotta time driving.  What do you do?    Should Have kept the raccoons tail...

topdog1961
13 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

Your commute is killer.  Have you done the math on the amount of time you spend on the road per year and vehicles $.  Your a great family provider but man...   lotta time driving.  What do you do?    Should Have kept the raccoons tail...

Engineer by day, underground dog fence installer/trainer/service by evenings and weekends. I should retire but I got an 18 year old and a 19 year old that are showing no signs of launching or stability. At best I have to keep medical on them, at worst I may need to bail them out. 

We we just hired a young engineer at work, about a year out of college. We got an email from him today asking to move his start date back two weeks so he could find a place in a town that is almost an hour and half away. That’s even worse than my commute.  After 24 years of it, my advice would be to move closer. 

RuffChaser
11 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

Engineer by day, underground dog fence installer/trainer/service by evenings and weekends. I should retire but I got an 18 year old and a 19 year old that are showing no signs of launching or stability. At best I have to keep medical on them, at worst I may need to bail them out. 

We we just hired a young engineer at work, about a year out of college. We got an email from him today asking to move his start date back two weeks so he could find a place in a town that is almost an hour and half away. That’s even worse than my commute.  After 24 years of it, my advice would be to move closer. 

As a fellow Engineer, I can relate. I only drive 70/day but I cross two major rivers (Mississippi and Minnesota) twice a day driving from the Southside of Minneapolis to the Northside (far suburbs on both ends). People tell me I'm crazy for that drive and it's still 55 miles less than you. I do leave for work at 5 am to miss most of the traffic. I'm surprised you don't kill more stuff.

sharptail grouse
12 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

As a fellow Engineer, I can relate. I only drive 70/day but I cross two major rivers (Mississippi and Minnesota) twice a day driving from the Southside of Minneapolis to the Northside (far suburbs on both ends). People tell me I'm crazy for that drive and it's still 55 miles less than you. I do leave for work at 5 am to miss most of the traffic. I'm surprised you don't kill more stuff.

I couldn't do it. I walk - it takes about 15 minutes each way. But I'm not an engineer either 😉

tut

My daughter has hit two deer in the past 3 years.  Leaves work at 450 am headed for work.  We live in Loudoun County Va which leads the state in the number of deer killed every year even though 80 percent of the county has no hunting to speak of and all hunting that is available is on private land.  PS.  Been trying to find a place to deer hunt here for over 30 years and I'd have a better chance of winning Powerball. :)   Anyway, that doesn't count how many close misses.  If she calls home anytime before 6 am, that means she smacked another deer.  She needs to carry a small sledgehammer in the car so she can finish them off after she knocks them flat. 

Korthaar

Yup... I've seen coons take out the entire lower core support, radiator, condenser,  and bumper in newer cars. All plastic and "composite materials."

Wirehair

Same thing happened to my wife's car a year or two ago. It sucks!

Luckily my wife works for the insurance company so it was kind of funny when she called her boss to tell him she needed to make a claim. Of course he suggested they junk it( a joke.. I think) so my wife could get a new car. LOL!  But yeah it was like $1500 damage. 

bigdog MN

Fellow at work totaled a Ford Escape a couple weeks ago by hitting a coon, would not have thought it possible but with all the plastic parts....