Jack L

The best laid plans

Jack L

So I moved my docket and cleared off this Thursday through next Wednesday to head out west River to tent camp and chase chickens and sharpies. The big snow storm is hitting There Thursday and Friday with 8-12 " of snow, highs low 30's and lows in the 20's. Wind  Gusts Thursday of up to 35-40 mph.

So I'm not heading there Thursday. Thought about heading to N. Minnesota to chase ruffed grouse, but it's predicted to be non stop rain.

So my thought now is to head out Friday to Nebraska to chase sharpies.  My reading is there will be much less snow there and it will be done basically Thursday and warmer.

Its going to be a fluid situation.  

Having to plan a trip a ways ahead without knowing the weather can lead to this.  Still disappointing.

Mike da Carpenter

That’s the good part of planning ahead of time, when something comes up, you have time to make changes.  

If everything was set in stone, the adventure/excitement value would be diminished. 

Hub

A little snow and rain won't dampen my weekend plans.  I'll be up north chasing grouse and woodcock with the leaves nearly gone or gone.  I wish I could be wrong as often as the weatherman and still keep my job.

Spiller

Wow, Dude....major thought processes.....I always say just "go with the flow"........

dogrunner

I say go somewhere no matter the forecast, they usually can't predict the next 12 hrs and are usually wrong on a snow forecast, the prediction is normally double or more than you actually get. 

sharptail grouse
2 hours ago, Jack L said:

So I moved my docket and cleared off this Thursday through next Wednesday to head out west River to tent camp and chase chickens and sharpies. The big snow storm is hitting There Thursday and Friday with 8-12 " of snow, highs low 30's and lows in the 20's. Wind  Gusts Thursday of up to 35-40 mph.

So I'm not heading there Thursday. Thought about heading to N. Minnesota to chase ruffed grouse, but it's predicted to be non stop rain.

So my thought now is to head out Friday to Nebraska to chase sharpies.  My reading is there will be much less snow there and it will be done basically Thursday and warmer.

Its going to be a fluid situation.  

Having to plan a trip a ways ahead without knowing the weather can lead to this.  Still disappointing.

I'm with you - head south. I've been caught up in that "come hell or high water" spirit and have been sorely disappointed. Not to mention uncomfortable.

And NOAA predicted the last two storms (in two weeks - good grief!) perfectly.

Greg Hartman

That sucks, Jack.  Be glad you aren't camping in it (yet again).

We are in north-central Montana.  We got out this morning and hunted until the weather drove us back to the truck by about 3:00 PM.  Right now the wind is starting to whip, the temps are dropping and the skies are turning black.  Ugh.

Even the ruffelated grousies were cold the last storm:

10-3-19 - Glacier scenes - 5

Oh well, it will be another opportunity for bird dog hardening:

9-28-19 - Hardening the dog during a Montana snow storm -2

Next week phez open here and the weather looks much better.

Remo

With a bit of luck I intend to to scare the sharp-tails tomorrow morning and be home afternoon before the rain starts. Big time snow coming from the forecast. Last year we were pasted with 16" on the same date. Made for a miserable 2 weeks after that but then was good hunting weather until Jan. 4th. If I don't get these dogs out they're going to leave without me.

Swampy 16

It’s October ! Go Grouse hunting. I’ll bet it doesn’t rain, just got that gut feeling. Even if it does there’s no place like grouse country in October. Those little suckers sure pick beautiful places to live.

Canuck

We too are forecast to have a big dump of snow and my hunting buddy thought it would be a good time to be at our hunting "Lodge" if we can get there before the storm hits this weekend and stay till it is over. I think I will go.

Jack L

I love hunting in snow but I doubt my three season tent would like a foot of it on top of it. 

Never hunted sharpies in Neb. So it will be a new adventure. And a plus I will get to have a camp fire !!!

bennelli-banger

I cancelled my trip..was gonna leave early this am for ND/MT...could have gotten there today, but the return trip Sunday sounded iffy, and the conditions while out there sounded like no fun...lots of wind...so I went ruffed grouse hunting today, will go again tomorrow around Duluth...got one today, could have had two, and maybe a third that I didn't shoot at for reasons I won't go into here!  There are some around...:)

Quig

In Greg H picture of dog “hardening “, out the window there sits a truck with snow pasted to the windows. I’m not looking forward to that. 65* here today chasing Grouse in Michigan.

sharptail grouse
7 minutes ago, Quig said:

In Greg H picture of dog “hardening “, out the window there sits a truck with snow pasted to the windows. I’m not looking forward to that. 65* here today chasing Grouse in Michigan.

That sounds boring.  27 and a fresh 5" here.

Just kidding - this sucks.

Swampy 16

I love an inch or two of fresh powder when hunting anything.