LostInWoods

Northwoods NH Reports

LostInWoods

Sitting at work...6 hours to go until i start the trek north.  Will be hunting through the weekend a few days guided and some on my own, hoping to drag the wife and 6mo old out with me donning ear muffs.  Cant really get my mind focused on anything other than birds and covers right now..guess I'm looking to make these next few hours a little less painful with some conversation.

What have been the early season reports up north for numbers?  Leaves starting to come off the trees yet? Curious what types of covers people are finding birds in and what is in their crop?  Really anything to get me through these next few hours is appreciated!

BBlizzard18

I’m leaving with my Vizsla for the NEK tomorrow, I’m having trouble focusing myself.  We’re in full foliage mode in central VT, I can’t imagine there’s many leaves left up that way.  Good luck on your trip.  

Spiller

Northern Maine was pretty much peak color last weekend...bird numbers seem to be pretty good...this weekend and next week should be perfecto in my estimation....

Coalman

The color was beautiful above the 45th parallel in NH last week. The rain and wind this week should open up a lot more shooting lanes. The bracken fern was still up but dying.

You had to work for your birds.

Found blue cohosh and high bush cranberry in their crops. A couple FB pics from the NH Upland Bird Hunters page shows a lot of activity on the mountain ash berries.
Enjoy!

Brad Eden

IMG_1266.JPG

Almost reaching Peak foliage in mid-just inland from coast- Maine including my back yard. I'm hoping to head north to camp this weekend so am not sure about northeast/Downeast area. My annual way the hell up north of Baxter State Park grouse trip got cancelled on Monday due to rain, so no bird and leaf scouting done up there. Grouse and particularly Woodcock are thin if not extinct...the last few days in my home haunts.

WPG Gizmo

Heading north on Friday to the NEK for a week should just be past peak and I expect that the rain that is there now will blow down a lot of the leaves.

john mcg

Have a good time, Gary!

drummer's stump

Most of the leaves are still on trees, birds are everywhere and anywhere. I have found birds on ridge tops feeding on beech nuts, and found them on the edge of cedar swamps feeding on mushrooms. You have to work for them, and I have yet to kill a young bird which is not a good sign. I don’t hunt woodcock, but have started to see them flipping around in the evenings, so I assume that some will start moving soon. 

atticus

I’m in the NEK now. It was a beautiful day—No rain, nice temps and just past peak. Lots of leaves still, but frost is knocking down the ferns. I was only able to hit a couple covers but I did get into some doodles today. The forecast for the rest of the week and weekend looks perfect!