Tim Frazier

Power Stroke 6.0L V8 DI 32V OHV Turbodiesel

Tim Frazier

In the realm of Ford Diesels...good, bad or so-so.  100,000 miles

Lurch

As with any truck, you'll get the "Never's" and the "LoveIt's" but the 6.0 wasn't their best offering. A google search on 6.0 issues will fill your harddrive pretty quickly. The older 7.3s and the newer ones were typically better.

Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Don't drink & park cuz accidents cause people. Etc.

DonT

Many consider it the worst of the powerstrokes, Ford jumped into the emissions regs with both feet with this engine.    I know my friend had to do a number of mod$$$ to make it reliable.  All new head bolts ($1K + labor)  turbo? to keep it from blowing hoses.  After that it was good. 

dogrunner

A buddy has had one since it was new it is a 05-06, not a lot of miles about 150,000, it has been a decent truck with only a few issues.That was the beginning of the end  for Navistar and there not so good  Powerstrokes. 

Jim Vander

We have one and 04  and had issues however since getting those right its been great. Many malign these engines and we did too when we had issues. We had EGR failure and turbo failure at tad over 100K. We pondered getting rid of it and in process of making that decision  I talked to many diesel mechanics and learned that with a few tweaks its a great engine. We did the EGR mods and have had no further issues. The head bolt issues you will hear discussed are real but the mechanics we talked too said if not failed at 100K not likely too. Wife hauls a 3 horse trailer with very large living quarters the truck now has 230K with no issues other than a failed transmission sensor that was a pretty cheap fix. This trucks only job is to haul the trailer which it does with authority and is not used around town, something many have told us does not make diesels happy.  Happy Wife Happy Life. 

Marc Ret

Do a little research specific to 2007 6.0Ls. I seem to recall reading several years ago that they had pretty much worked out most of the issues common in the earlier engines and that model year 2007s had the least amount of warranty repair claims of any Ford diesel for several decades.

A friend has an '05 F550 Dump with the 6.0L that has close to 200,000mi on it. It's a strong engine but I know he spent a considerable amount of money to "bulletproof" his motor. That truck is close to 13,000lbs unladen and the 6.0L motivates that weight quite nicely. 

If you're seriously considering the truck, IMO, they're a fair bit high on the price. 

Cheesy

I agree. High in price. 

Bro in laws is the white one. Mine is green. Both have right at 170,000 miles on them. His is mostly a stock trailer pulling farm truck. Mine is primarily a pavement princess.

0eDdSPZ.jpg

His is basically all stock.

Mine has been de-6.0’d for the most part. Studs, egr delete, blue spring update, etc. Havent  done the remote oil cooler. I bought it for $20k with 46k miles on it, knew the issues, and knew the cost for repairs. I did all the work at 100,000 miles. Zero issues since then. 

If you buy one, have a monitor for checking coolant versus oil temperature. If it gets more than 15 degrees difference its indication oil cooler is plugging up. Which will end up causing head bolts to stretch and loose your headgaskets. All this is tested when coolant is at operating temperature (good thermostat) running 65 mph on level ground not under load. 

Another test is load it up with a trailer. Pull a large hill under load and then see if you have any coolant blowing out the overflow reservoir cap. 

NECarson

I'd take a 6.0 over a 7.3...

They can have some issues, but run well, and are a solid value. 

Mine has had headgaskets, studs, egr delete, and a number of other things done, mostly because I like to mess with stuff. 

That particular one is very clean, but priced like it... 

River19

Look into "bullet proofing" it as the updates to make it reliable without question are a well known commodity at this point.  The bulk of it can be done for $5000 - 8000, but you get a decent truck with decent power after that point.  Depends on what you want.

Avoid the 6.4L the generation after the 6.0

Tim Frazier

As has been noted, this dealership always is a little pricey but the flip side is his vehicles are in very good shape to exceptional.  My interest would be for pulling a decent size RV trailer without laying out $50,000+ on a new one. Not sure we are going that direction but I need to learn a bit over the next year or two.  

NECarson

For balancing interior comfort/ride quality/power/value it's pretty hard to beat an 05-07 6.0

Just know what you're getting into. 

henryrski

uThat 6.0 was the worst engine Ford ever made.Trouble with transmission ( it literally ate itself). The worst was the high pressure seals went the truck stopped dead, nada, nothing would work. Had to have it towed from western PA to eastern PA. Took three days out of a bird hunting trip. Stay away from it he said emphatically.

NECarson
5 hours ago, henryrski said:

uThat 6.0 was the worst engine Ford ever made.Trouble with transmission ( it literally ate itself). The worst was the high pressure seals went the truck stopped dead, nada, nothing would work. Had to have it towed from western PA to eastern PA. Took three days out of a bird hunting trip. Stay away from it he said emphatically.

Ford didn't make it... 

And the 5r is a great transmission!