Sign in to follow this  
Quig

Help with pickup bed storage/under dog box

Quig

I swore there were some pictures of home built storage systems on this forum. While I’ve found some, not the one I was looking for. Seems like a carpenter had made a nice one, crates above, storage below. Any help with some pictures would be great.

ARKBRDHUNTER

Search Mike De Carpenter posts I think. 

Jakeismydog2

Here is mine:

Those are skateboard ball bearings and a piece of 1/2" steel square tubing. Mine is watertight. I leave it in the back of my truck year round. It's 3 years old. The plywood has polyurethane on it.

IMG_20191015_164437-1.jpg

IMG_20191015_164449.jpg

IMG_20191015_164514.jpg

IMG_20191015_164525.jpg

bennelli-banger

that is bleeping sweet!!!!

GLS

Nice job.  I've been thinking of the same for my 4runner, but it would rob too much vertical space for crates.  Here's one from Youtube.  There is a simple drawless system on YT that looks easy, too.  

Mike da Carpenter

any questions, please feel free to ask.  Kinda wish I had done a full video of the process and just had our boys edit the video, but that will have to be the next one.  I did make this one in just a couple hours.  Just plan/think ahead, and your project will come out fine.

Mike da Carpenter

As set up now that it’s hunting season...

77032E57-A798-40C6-BB7E-456F63D26555.thumb.jpeg.ed7911786dc23ca2a4721d04459b6418.jpeg

snood
30 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Just plan/think ahead, and your project will come out fine.

....clearly you've never seen me with a hammer and nails😁

Clueless1

Mine is simple and built from scraps I found in a barn.  I wouldn't be good at building drawers, I'm cheap, and I have no time.  This took about an hour, all it is is a shelf.  Can fit two bows and multiple shotguns underneath, shells go by the wheel well.  Tub for dog/bird hunting and tub for archery gear.

IMG_0008.JPG

snood

Actually Mike I did build one, but I figured the drawers would just slide out fine without any fancy rolling system as there really isn't much weight involved. So far, so good.

Mike da Carpenter
21 minutes ago, snood said:

Actually Mike I did build one, but I figured the drawers would just slide out fine without any fancy rolling system as there really isn't much weight involved. So far, so good.

I glued three 2” strips of laminate on the bottom of each drawer and they slide like ice (hence the reason for the locks). The top platform is just gliding in candle wax.

Quig
6 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

I glued three 2” strips of laminate on the bottom of each drawer and they slide like ice (hence the reason for the locks). The top platform is just gliding in candle wax.

Nice video, thank you. What is the laminate you refer to?

Mike da Carpenter
1 minute ago, Quig said:

Nice video, thank you. What is the laminate you refer to?

keeps the bottom of the drawer and top of plywood base separate so that you do not have the friction of plywood sliding on plywood.  Everything glides on smooth strips of plastic laminate.  

Quig

Like a piece of laminate floor, is that correct?

Mike da Carpenter
23 hours ago, Quig said:

Like a piece of laminate floor, is that correct?

No, 2” wide strips of plastic laminate left over from making countertops.  I cut what I needed for my project before I glued up the countertop.  This way everything got used up that could be used instead of going in the landfill.