ryanr

PA grouse & woodcock opener

ryanr

It's happening! Now I'm sure this topic will generate a few doom & gloom posts but I don't care. I'm excited the season opener is finally upon us this Saturday (10/19). And even though they're released birds, I'll be happy too when pheasant (rabbit too) season opens here thr following Saturday. It's opportunity for me to spend more time with my dogs in Penn's Woods.

The weather forecast looks great, maybe a bit warm but I'll enjoy the sunshine. In the past I've hunted covers closer to home on the opener but this year I think I've got some wanderlust and there's a SGL up North a bit that I'm curious to start hunting (actually there are few so might as well get started exploring them.) I'm actually packing the truck tonight so I'm not rushing around  doing it Friday night. I don't know if you're all as excited as I am but sure I hope all my fellow PA hunters have a safe and fun weekend. And I hope the woodcock are in and we move a couple grouse too!

Millriver

Good luck! It’s bird season, who can be full of doom and gloom?!

Enjoy your season.

PGHgrouser

Can't wait!  Off to my strongest start to a year  yet with 5 grouse and 6 woodcock from my annual Columbus day Michigan trip.  No doom and gloom here, plenty of birds for those willing to bleed for them in Pa.  Will be weird hunting in nice weather though...

Swampy 16

No need for doom and gloom. I don’t buy it, I haven’t had to. Get off the skidder runs and dive into the thick stuff. There’s more birds than you think.

brushbuster

I’ll probably be out in the morning with my daughter. We may try for some left over youth pheasant then head over to look for fan tails.

terc

I'll be doing things backwards this year. My Setter is 11 1/2 years old, probably only only good for an hour or two on ground . I'll try to find some birds, then take her back  to point them. She has made me happy for all of these years, I figure I owe her.

Upland_Hunter

No "doom & gloom" here as I am also excited to be going out tomorrow to my usual coverts and on to explore some new ones. 

Urban_Redneck

I think I've knocked the "be ready to be surprised" rust off in NY and VT.  We'll give it a go in the am.

OTR_resize.thumb.JPG.a667a8c4294f315453a95ddf625b881c.JPG

ryanr

Truck's all loaded, water jugs ready, collars and transmitters being charged, and the excitement is building. Heading North about 2 hours or so to a gamelands I've never visited before but got a tip that it's worth exploring. Plan is to hunt most of the day then get home in time to for the Michigan at Penn State game (Go PSU.) 

Tomorrow we hunt! Good luck and be safe everyone.

WPG Gizmo
7 hours ago, Urban_Redneck said:

I think I've knocked the "be ready to be surprised" rust off in NY and VT.  We'll give it a go in the am.

OTR_resize.thumb.JPG.a667a8c4294f315453a95ddf625b881c.JPG

Does your Dalmatian point 😂

Just some friendly Griff humor

She is a awesome dog

Swampy 16
17 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Does your Dalmatian point 😂

Just some friendly Griff humor

She is a awesome dog

Rolling on the floor in a puddle of my own pee ! That’s the funniest thing I think I’ve ever heard. Sorry UR, not laughing at your dog, but that was funny. Gizmo, you ought a be ashamed of yourself. 😂

tclprin

First day today for my setter pup Grady in MA. Waiting a bit to avoid crowds, dogs, guns. Starting him slowly but what fun. We hunt 3x per week.

ryanr

Beautiful but frustrating day only in terms of birds. With the exception of one random rooster, I couldn't confirm a single flush of grouse or woodcock. But damn it was a gorgeous Fall day in PA's northern tier. A crisp 32 in the morning that warmed up quickly into the 60s. The contrast of red and gold foliage with the breaks of green evergreen or grassy hillside was postcard worthy. The dog's had fun and ran about 15 miles on the day. And what I liked was it wasn't just one dog following the other, each of them was hunting and working the cover and wind. A couple times they even appeared to work a cover in a bit of a partnership though that will be a work in progress. Hazel's getting vocal now pretty steady on fur, she briefly chased something twice- yapping away as she ran. And Quade gave a deep bark at something once but tends not to chase anymore when we're bird hunting.

At the first gamelands there was one particular area, a nice valley and hillsides that I really wanted to hunt. It had abandoned orchards and interspersed wetland and reverting farmland. But there were 2 bowhunters in there and a couple guys running beagles thru it so we stayed out and hunted some nearby edges. I also ended up being a bit limited, especially early on due to an extremely sore Achilles.

In the afternoon there seemed to be a lot of deer moving. I ended up seeing at least 5 bucks in the afternoon and a few dozen deer total. Saw a couple Bald eagles too and real nice black bear on the ride home too.

Swampy 16

We had a slow day as well. Only 8 flushes (grouse) but not a single shot offered. Last year was quite the opposite. Need to do some more snooping before I say the numbers are down in that area. They may be in adjacent areas feeding on something different than what they were feeding on last year. But I will second the beautiful day. It was stunning !

floodcity

My son came in from Pittsburgh for the opening day but he wanted to jump shoot woodducks. We hit the beaver dam sloughs for 3hrs getting both of our limits. Tough walking but a lot of fun. Haven't had that kind of success in years!

Today I decided to try for some woodcock.  There were people hunting deer in some of my favorite places so my options were somewhat limited.  I did have some solid points and the weather was beautiful. 

20191021_114822.jpg