grouse28

Maine Bird Hunting Facts

grouse28

As everyone knows road hunting is the acceptable way to “hunt” grouse or partridge.

However here are some observations.

Road hunting or heater hunting is a fine husband/wife activity. One driving and one shooting. I assume taking turns between shots.

Bird contacts are measured in miles per bird.

Hunting will be better next week as leaves will be down and birds can be seen in the woods by the roads. 

Hint from an experienced Maine bird hunter, “Drive slower”.

Met a grouse hunter at a gate to the Maine woods. Nice hunting shirt and jacket, brush pants, nice boots. Could have been a model for Orvis or Bean.

I asked what kind of dog he was hunting with, looked at me like I was crazy. My son and I are driving the roads, he drives slow and can spot them well.

Met a husband/wife team. How ya doing? Not good, too many leaves. (Conversation inside the truck as they left,  “Virgil, I think I saw a dog box in the back of their rig”. Virgil replies. “Woman! That’s just talkin crazy!)

Other comments from heater hunters. Damn guys with dogs! Imagine shooting em before they can make it to the roads. No wonder we ain’t see’n nuthin.

Good luck Clint and Amanda and Brad and JoAnn.

NHBirddogger

Don't forget the moose hunters, pahtridge become more skittish than Bigfoot during moose weeks...

dogrunner

I thought it was measured in 12 packs per birds. 

drummer's stump

Well, I can saw that I walked almost 4 miles today ran 3 dogs, and saw 5 grouse. Of those 5, 3 were pointed, and 2 were brought home for dinner. I had to check on my work camp today because we have been having issues with the battery system, and on our way out I bet we saw 7 to 10 birds and all were chased off the road at a high rate of speed. We saw probably the same number on the way home. I will admit that the road hunters get to me, I have very little tolerance for them while I am working, and less when hunting. Grouse hunting the big woods can be like finding a needle in a haystack. There are 6 million acres in the north woods, anyone of those can have grouse on it at any given time. 

Fire Marshal Bill

Dave, are you still in Maine or are you heading home? Meeting Al and some other UJ'ers tomorrow. 

grouse28
12 minutes ago, Fire Marshal Bill said:

Dave, are you still in Maine or are you heading home? Meeting Al and some other UJ'ers tomorrow. 

Still suffering here in Maine. 

grouse28
32 minutes ago, drummer's stump said:

Well, I can saw that I walked almost 4 miles today ran 3 dogs, and saw 5 grouse. Of those 5, 3 were pointed, and 2 were brought home for dinner. I had to check on my work camp today because we have been having issues with the battery system, and on our way out I bet we saw 7 to 10 birds and all were chased off the road at a high rate of speed. We saw probably the same number on the way home. I will admit that the road hunters get to me, I have very little tolerance for them while I am working, and less when hunting. Grouse hunting the big woods can be like finding a needle in a haystack. There are 6 million acres in the north woods, anyone of those can have grouse on it at any given time. 

You continue to do well with that rental gun.

NW River Mac

I see a lot of couples roading while I'm out there.  I think it's a great way for couples to spend the day.  Most are older/retirement age and all seem to have fun doing it.  I still don't like or appreciate it, but it's legal.  Their get ups can be a bit over the top but that's ok too.  

Curt

I got turned around up there one time a few years ago, came across a road grader, flagged him down to ask for help with directions.  As I crawled up to his cab I noticed he had a cooler in the cab with a single shot .410 and a few shells lying on top of it.  Obviously a county employee who could multi task.

dogrunner
10 hours ago, grouse28 said:

You continue to do well with that rental gun.

I heard it was gifted to him. 

gunsrus
13 hours ago, dogrunner said:

I heard it was gifted to him. 

Gifted your ARSE !

Don Steese
13 hours ago, Curt said:

I got turned around up there one time a few years ago, came across a road grader, flagged him down to ask for help with directions.  As I crawled up to his cab I noticed he had a cooler in the cab with a single shot .410 and a few shells lying on top of it.  Obviously a county employee who could multi task.

I've told this story before but olde phartz have earned the right to bore the younger folks to death, so here goes!

Hunted Grand Rapids, Minnesota a couple times with a buddy who's inlaws lived there. Guy we were hunting with was a BIL. I asked him, "Tom, how many grouse do you figure you shoot in a year?"  "Not sure, probably a hundred or so. Get most of em' with a slingshot. They won't let me carry a gun in the county truck!" He was a county surveyor. He liked my shorthair so he only shot flying birds during the time I was there.  

I've long ago given up feeling superior to folks who hunt differently than I. I figure the means of death matters little to the dying. 

snakeroll
On 10/19/2019 at 7:57 PM, grouse28 said:

As everyone knows road hunting is the acceptable way to “hunt” grouse or partridge.

However here are some observations.

Road hunting or heater hunting is a fine husband/wife activity. One driving and one shooting. I assume taking turns between shots.

Bird contacts are measured in miles per bird.

Hunting will be better next week as leaves will be down and birds can be seen in the woods by the roads. 

Hint from an experienced Maine bird hunter, “Drive slower”.

Met a grouse hunter at a gate to the Maine woods. Nice hunting shirt and jacket, brush pants, nice boots. Could have been a model for Orvis or Bean.

I asked what kind of dog he was hunting with, looked at me like I was crazy. My son and I are driving the roads, he drives slow and can spot them well.

Met a husband/wife team. How ya doing? Not good, too many leaves. (Conversation inside the truck as they left,  “Virgil, I think I saw a dog box in the back of their rig”. Virgil replies. “Woman! That’s just talkin crazy!)

Other comments from heater hunters. Damn guys with dogs! Imagine shooting em before they can make it to the roads. No wonder we ain’t see’n nuthin.

Good luck Clint and Amanda and Brad and JoAnn.

That and a beverage in a coozie or a red-solo cup in hand!

I can't get over how many people I see up there doing this, literally going there specifically to road-hunt. Ho-hum, if it feels right then do it I suppose.

grouse28
19 minutes ago, snakeroll said:

That and a beverage in a coozie or a red-solo cup in hand!

I can't get over how many people I see up there doing this, literally going there specifically to road-hunt. Ho-hum, if it feels right then do it I suppose.

Yep there were a couple of guys from MD here in the area that hired a guide to take them road hunting.

Of course if your rig is not equipped with E rated tires the big woods can be hell on tires.........And a certain, otherwise nice gentleman, in the area will not stop to help you out.

Brad Eden

The shale they use on logging roads especially at low spots and stream crossings wreak havoc on tires. Get high ply if you are planning on tooling around on northern Maine paper company logging roads. Or bring at least two spares. And don't get all bummed out and pissed off if you see a truck driving slowly in front if you...that has beaten you to a particularly good stretch of partridge gravel pickin road.  Just pull over and have a snack or shoot the breeze or whatever for 15 minutes, then follow them. The road birds aren't freaked out by vehicles and more will pop into road. I mean, this is what I have heard, I have no first hand knowledge of this....