BBlizzard18

venison & arrow recovery

BBlizzard18

I acquired some venison Friday evening in the form of a 126lb doe.  I have a ladder stand behind the house, but deer seem to be staying clear of that entering the field.  So, I dusted off the summit climber and was able to pull off an ambush. 20 yard broadside shot, she ran maybe 60 yards. I could not find my arrow, but the blood trail and tracks were obvious. I brought the pup for a walk this morning to grab my stand and he started flipping something up in the air...my arrow, good boy.   

1C1BC2E5-4C27-4F97-926C-A34A49B121A6.jpeg

max2

Nice on the deer !   

Good pup find with no injury !

BBlizzard18
1 hour ago, max2 said:

Nice on the deer !   

Good pup find with no injury !

Thanks! Yeah....I ran to him pretty quick when I realized, luckily the mechanical head was closed.  

BBlizzard18

I always feel guilty about tossing the hide. I’ve kept a couple from larger deer, but there is only so many deer hides you can hang on a wall.  I tried to find a place to donate, but no luck without driving a half day.  

8F9FBDBA-7A34-46B1-B9F8-E9C11E212F2C.jpeg

Brad Eden
On 10/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, BBlizzard18 said:

I always feel guilty about tossing the hide. I’ve kept a couple from larger deer, but there is only so many deer hides you can hang on a wall.  I tried to find a place to donate, but no luck without driving a half day.  

8F9FBDBA-7A34-46B1-B9F8-E9C11E212F2C.jpeg

I have a couple tanned hair in deer hides hanging on the landing banister above my head. you are right you can only keep so many. 

polecat

I use lighted knocks on my hunting arrows it makes the arrow recovery quicker  in low light conditions. An extra cost but I think it's worth it. Monster doe by the way.

BBlizzard18
On 10/30/2019 at 9:50 AM, polecat said:

I use lighted knocks on my hunting arrows it makes the arrow recovery quicker  in low light conditions. An extra cost but I think it's worth it. Monster doe by the way.

I use to have some, and have shot deer with them.  I agree, it makes arrow recovery a lot easier.  Arrows are expensive, I don’t like losing them.  

gaberdeen

Wish I had a lighted nock on my bolt last night. Would have saved me a bunch of time. Didn’t find it till this morning.

06C37AA2-D537-4B44-B1DD-82A3D2CDC2FD.jpeg

gunsrus
21 minutes ago, gaberdeen said:

Wish I had a lighted nock on my bolt last night. Would have saved me a bunch of time. Didn’t find it till this morning.

Nice shot Gary , LOL !

BBlizzard18
1 hour ago, gaberdeen said:

Did the tree get in the way? I’ve had an arrow redirected a couple times from limbs.  Frustrating.  

gaberdeen
4 minutes ago, BBlizzard18 said:

Did the tree get in the way? I’ve had an arrow redirected a couple times from limbs.  Frustrating.  

It sure did!

grouse28

How did the broad head perform? Much of a sap trail?

I like pass through shots, but that looks like a good kill shot.

polecat

Was that legal?